Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OT Junior Seau

I can see why some call it a selfish act but I can't agree

If you're in dark where you feel as a failure, you've let everyone down and they would be better off without you are you realy doing it for selfish reasons?

It's not always about just checking out and ending your pain, can also be as you believe you will end the pain for others

So I would never ever call it a selfish act

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    I can see why some call it a selfish act but I can't agree

If you're in dark where you feel as a failure, you've let everyone down and they would be better off without you are you realy doing it for selfish reasons?

It's not always about just checking out and ending your pain, can also be as you believe you will end the pain for others

So I would never ever call it a selfish act
    This is a fair point, in general. However, I don't think it applies to this case. You can see and hear the pain Seau's friends and family is going though.

Blog Entries

Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

I found it hard to listen too. I just wanted to hug that poor girl. Sorry, but Seau was a fucking dick for doing that. Yeah, yeah, he wasn't in his right mind and all that bullshit, but what he did traumatized her for a lifetime. One of my idiot friends did the same to himself, I understand his dimensia, but what he did to his fiancee and his family were beyond bad.

Thing with suicides, their problems are over, its the whole set of new ones they spawn on to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I found it hard to listen too. I just wanted to hug that poor girl. Sorry, but Seau was a fucking dick for doing that. Yeah, yeah, he wasn't in his right mind and all that bullshit, but what he did traumatized her for a lifetime. One of my idiot friends did the same to himself, I understand his dimensia, but what he did to his fiancee and his family were beyond bad.

Thing with suicides, their problems are over, its the whole set of new ones they spawn on to others.
    You have a good point and I agree its a terrible thing to leave others behind. But I also feel like we shouldn't judge so harshly not ever being in his mind set.

I'm no Dr but I am sure your mind has to go completely wack to make the decision. I am sure he didn't say well life sucks, I'm done, fuck everyone else. He had to be at a horribly low point to go through with it.

It's sad what happened to her. But what's to say she didn't set him to the final breaking point to actually pull the trigger?

I'm gonna take heat for this post but people judge so quickly and have no idea the entire situation. Kinda think its harsh to call him a fucking dick.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

i think it is a bit harsh, but its a shelfish thing suicide, i think we can all agree on that
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    You have a good point and I agree its a terrible thing to leave others behind. But I also feel like we shouldn't judge so harshly not ever being in his mind set.

I'm no Dr but I am sure your mind has to go completely wack to make the decision. I am sure he didn't say well life sucks, I'm done, fuck everyone else. He had to be at a horribly low point to go through with it.

It's sad what happened to her. But what's to say she didn't set him to the final breaking point to actually pull the trigger?

I'm gonna take heat for this post but people judge so quickly and have no idea the entire situation. Kinda think its harsh to call him a fucking dick.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    i think it is a bit harsh, but its a shelfish thing suicide, i think we can all agree on that
    arnie, I got a PM from another poster (who shall go nameless), a couple of days ago, chastising me for my stance on the subject of suicide. I'll post my reply below :

"While some cultures (Japan for instance, although I don't know if it applies today)
    see suicide as an honorable act, I do not.
    I see it as a person who is willing to leave his/her parents, spouse, children, and friends
    to "clean up" their act without thought of the burden they are leaving behind. It is IMO a coward's way out. While I respect your opinion, I do disagree with it wholeheartedly."
    ... Bc

so he agrees with me then if im reading that correct, and you dont think its shelfish?
    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    arnie, I got a PM from another poster (who shall go nameless), a couple of days ago, chastising me for my stance on the subject of suicide. I'll post my reply below :

"While some cultures (Japan for instance, although I don't know if it applies today)
    I see it as a person who is willing to leave his/her parents, spouse, children, and friends
    to "clean up" their act without thought of the burden they are leaving behind. It is IMO a coward's way out. While I respect your opinion, I do disagree with it wholeheartedly."
    ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    This is a fair point, in general. However, I don't think it applies to this case. You can see and hear the pain Seau's friends and family is going though.
    I think both viewpoints are all equally valid in the minds of those that possess them. For those left behind it is a selfish act in that they've been left with the pain of losing a loved one, often without knowing why that person was hurting so much. But from the perspective of the person who commits suicide, as was mentioned, in their mind everything they do is worthless and so are they, they're more likely to perceive themselves as a drain and burden on those around them and want to relieve them of that.

The tragedy lies in that if both 'sides' could see the other's point of view before someone took their own life then maybe more suicides would be avoided.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    so he agrees with me then if im reading that correct, and you dont think its shelfish?
    arnie, my "coward's way out" comment was more in line with your "selfish" thought.
    He/she was trying to say it may not be as awful as we think due to cultural differences. A suicide leaves a void that others cannot fill, so the person who commits it is like the person who leaves garbage in a public place and let's 'whoever' to clean it up. I don't know Seau's family status, but if he had a wife and kids, then my feeling is not one of tragedy, but of "shame on you" ... Bc

sorry i thought that was what the other guy was saying to you, my bad.
    arnie, my "coward's way out" comment was more in line with your "selfish" thought.
    He/she was trying to say it may not be as awful as we think due to cultural differences. A suicide leaves a void that others cannot fill, so the person who commits it is like the person who leaves garbage in a public place and let's 'whoever' to clean it up. I don't know Seau's family status, but if he had a wife and kids, then my feeling is not one of tragedy, but of "shame on you" ... Bc

That poster happened to be me. My initial message to him was: I happen to take a note of the strong language in your post, especially when you are suggesting that suicide is for coward (correct me if I am mistaken). I am not criticizing you or whatsoever. Nonetheless, suicide is not necessary considered an act of cowardice in some cultures. In fact, suicide is considered honorable in some cultures.

There was a tread on the subject somewhere (I am unable to find it). I know I will receive a lot of heat for holding that view. In that thread, I acknowledged that I do not share a communitarian view on life, I hold an individualist view... I just didn't think we should place/impose our judgment on anyone simply because we disagree with the person's action/decision or because of our existing view on a certain things.

It was truly a tragedy that the girlfriend had to discover him and made the call. My heart goes out to her and the family. I wish it could be scripted better.

Blog Entries

... Bc
    You do realize that people who commit suicide have mental problems? A rational person like you are me would say it's selfish and dumb to do, but a person with severe mental issues is not thinking rationally. It's an unfortunate situation. My godmother hung herself when I was like 10 or 11. Nobody knew why she did it.