Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    baltimore
    Posts
    3,225


    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I found it hard to listen too. I just wanted to hug that poor girl. Sorry, but Seau was a fucking dick for doing that. Yeah, yeah, he wasn't in his right mind and all that bullshit, but what he did traumatized her for a lifetime. One of my idiot friends did the same to himself, I understand his dimensia, but what he did to his fiancee and his family were beyond bad.

    Thing with suicides, their problems are over, its the whole set of new ones they spawn on to others.
    You have a good point and I agree its a terrible thing to leave others behind. But I also feel like we shouldn't judge so harshly not ever being in his mind set.

    I'm no Dr but I am sure your mind has to go completely wack to make the decision. I am sure he didn't say well life sucks, I'm done, fuck everyone else. He had to be at a horribly low point to go through with it.

    It's sad what happened to her. But what's to say she didn't set him to the final breaking point to actually pull the trigger?

    I'm gonna take heat for this post but people judge so quickly and have no idea the entire situation. Kinda think its harsh to call him a fucking dick.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    i think it is a bit harsh, but its a shelfish thing suicide, i think we can all agree on that
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    You have a good point and I agree its a terrible thing to leave others behind. But I also feel like we shouldn't judge so harshly not ever being in his mind set.

    I'm no Dr but I am sure your mind has to go completely wack to make the decision. I am sure he didn't say well life sucks, I'm done, fuck everyone else. He had to be at a horribly low point to go through with it.

    It's sad what happened to her. But what's to say she didn't set him to the final breaking point to actually pull the trigger?

    I'm gonna take heat for this post but people judge so quickly and have no idea the entire situation. Kinda think its harsh to call him a fucking dick.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,180
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    i think it is a bit harsh, but its a shelfish thing suicide, i think we can all agree on that
    arnie, I got a PM from another poster (who shall go nameless), a couple of days ago, chastising me for my stance on the subject of suicide. I'll post my reply below :

    "While some cultures (Japan for instance, although I don't know if it applies today)
    see suicide as an honorable act, I do not.
    I see it as a person who is willing to leave his/her parents, spouse, children, and friends
    to "clean up" their act without thought of the burden they are leaving behind. It is IMO a coward's way out. While I respect your opinion, I do disagree with it wholeheartedly."
    ... Bc




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    so he agrees with me then if im reading that correct, and you dont think its shelfish?
    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    arnie, I got a PM from another poster (who shall go nameless), a couple of days ago, chastising me for my stance on the subject of suicide. I'll post my reply below :

    "While some cultures (Japan for instance, although I don't know if it applies today)
    see suicide as an honorable act, I do not.
    I see it as a person who is willing to leave his/her parents, spouse, children, and friends
    to "clean up" their act without thought of the burden they are leaving behind. It is IMO a coward's way out. While I respect your opinion, I do disagree with it wholeheartedly."
    ... Bc




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,340
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: OT Junior Seau

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    This is a fair point, in general. However, I don't think it applies to this case. You can see and hear the pain Seau's friends and family is going though.
    I think both viewpoints are all equally valid in the minds of those that possess them. For those left behind it is a selfish act in that they've been left with the pain of losing a loved one, often without knowing why that person was hurting so much. But from the perspective of the person who commits suicide, as was mentioned, in their mind everything they do is worthless and so are they, they're more likely to perceive themselves as a drain and burden on those around them and want to relieve them of that.

    The tragedy lies in that if both 'sides' could see the other's point of view before someone took their own life then maybe more suicides would be avoided.




  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,180
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    so he agrees with me then if im reading that correct, and you dont think its shelfish?
    arnie, my "coward's way out" comment was more in line with your "selfish" thought.
    He/she was trying to say it may not be as awful as we think due to cultural differences. A suicide leaves a void that others cannot fill, so the person who commits it is like the person who leaves garbage in a public place and let's 'whoever' to clean it up. I don't know Seau's family status, but if he had a wife and kids, then my feeling is not one of tragedy, but of "shame on you" ... Bc




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    sorry i thought that was what the other guy was saying to you, my bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    arnie, my "coward's way out" comment was more in line with your "selfish" thought.
    He/she was trying to say it may not be as awful as we think due to cultural differences. A suicide leaves a void that others cannot fill, so the person who commits it is like the person who leaves garbage in a public place and let's 'whoever' to clean it up. I don't know Seau's family status, but if he had a wife and kids, then my feeling is not one of tragedy, but of "shame on you" ... Bc




  8. #23

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    That poster happened to be me. My initial message to him was: I happen to take a note of the strong language in your post, especially when you are suggesting that suicide is for coward (correct me if I am mistaken). I am not criticizing you or whatsoever. Nonetheless, suicide is not necessary considered an act of cowardice in some cultures. In fact, suicide is considered honorable in some cultures.

    There was a tread on the subject somewhere (I am unable to find it). I know I will receive a lot of heat for holding that view. In that thread, I acknowledged that I do not share a communitarian view on life, I hold an individualist view... I just didn't think we should place/impose our judgment on anyone simply because we disagree with the person's action/decision or because of our existing view on a certain things.

    It was truly a tragedy that the girlfriend had to discover him and made the call. My heart goes out to her and the family. I wish it could be scripted better.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,130
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    arnie, I got a PM from another poster (who shall go nameless), a couple of days ago, chastising me for my stance on the subject of suicide. I'll post my reply below :

    "While some cultures (Japan for instance, although I don't know if it applies today)
    see suicide as an honorable act, I do not.
    I see it as a person who is willing to leave his/her parents, spouse, children, and friends
    to "clean up" their act without thought of the burden they are leaving behind. It is IMO a coward's way out. While I respect your opinion, I do disagree with it wholeheartedly."
    ... Bc
    You do realize that people who commit suicide have mental problems? A rational person like you are me would say it's selfish and dumb to do, but a person with severe mental issues is not thinking rationally. It's an unfortunate situation. My godmother hung herself when I was like 10 or 11. Nobody knew why she did it.




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    this thread will get locked soon, but how is it not shelfish of him when he has a fiance, kids, family? they will have the burden of this for the rest of their lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    That poster happened to be me. My initial message to him was: I happen to take a note of the strong language in your post, especially when you are suggesting that suicide is for coward (correct me if I am mistaken). I am not criticizing you or whatsoever. Nonetheless, suicide is not necessary considered an act of cowardice in some cultures. In fact, suicide is considered honorable in some cultures.

    There was a tread on the subject somewhere (I am unable to find it). I know I will receive a lot of heat for holding that view. In that thread, I acknowledged that I do not share a communitarian view on life, I hold an individualist view... I just didn't think we should place/impose our judgment on anyone simply because we disagree with the person's action/decision or because of our existing view on a certain things.

    It was truly a tragedy that the girlfriend had to discover him and made the call. My heart goes out to her and the family. I wish it could be scripted better.




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,180
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    That poster happened to be me. My initial message to him was: I happen to take a note of the strong language in your post, especially when you are suggesting that suicide is for coward (correct me if I am mistaken). I am not criticizing you or whatsoever. Nonetheless, suicide is not necessary considered an act of cowardice in some cultures. In fact, suicide is considered honorable in some cultures.
    There was a tread on the subject somewhere (I am unable to find it). I know I will receive a lot of heat for holding that view. In that thread, I acknowledged that I do not share a communitarian view on life, I hold an individualist view... I just didn't think we should place/impose our judgment on anyone simply because we disagree with the person's action/decision or because of our existing view on a certain things.
    It was truly a tragedy that the girlfriend had to discover him and made the call. My heart goes out to her and the family. I wish it could be scripted better.
    Yes, I do assign personal judgement to a man who deserted his family and friends. We all go through hard times, and have to do things we never thought we'd have to do, but do them to have our families survive this modern era. His act was a tragedy to those he left behind, but not to him because he took the quitter's way out. R T here is my quoted PM to you :
    "I'm sorry if the tone seems hostile, that was not my intent. I am not a patronizing sort, but I do respect your point-of-view, even if it doesn't coincide with mine. This is a topic that brings out the best/worst in people. I'm glad you did this via PM rather than on a thread that might have ignited who knows what (?) You are a person whose ideas/posts I will read carefully because you've got a lot to say" ... Bc




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,180
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    You do realize that people who commit suicide have mental problems? A rational person like you are me would say it's selfish and dumb to do, but a person with severe mental issues is not thinking rationally. It's an unfortunate situation. My godmother hung herself when I was like 10 or 11. Nobody knew why she did it.
    Of course they may have mental problems, so why didn't Seau do this act while he was a pro football player? AND don't you (I'm sorry for her destructive act) miss your godmother? Paint, life is so tough, but those who take an early exit leave us (you and me) behind to wonder why... Bc




  13. #28

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    I didn't say that it was not selfish of him.

    It may be selfish of him, but does "selfish" tantamount to bad or such?




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,180
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OT - Tape Released of Junior Seau 911 Call

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I didn't say that it was not selfish of him.

    It may be selfish of him, but does "selfish" tantamount to bad or such?
    Short answer = "Yes it does" ... Bc




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    baltimore
    Posts
    3,225
    I think some of us are judging a situation and don't have factual knowledge of what goes on in ones mind before the act.

    Is there a study on what happens to the brain right before someone goes through with it?

    Are kids selfish when they hang themselves because they get beat up at school? I can't imagine the thought of a parent losing their child to self harm because of being bullied.
    I get that Seau was a grown adult but some people need to have sympathy for him not knowing what happened.

    Pain is a hard thing to deal with. He obviously felt this was the way for it to be. People talk like an early exit is a good thing for the one that passes. Are any of us on here really thinking that being dead is all that great? I sure as hell don't. I have hit depressed points in my life but I sure as hell don't want to be dead!

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland