Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    The exchange of non contract money is going on in every locker room in the NFL.
    And the Saints got caught, we're told to stop, ignored that warning and kept going.

You're defending the indefensible, especially in the shadow of Seau's death. The league is bending over backwards to stop players from getting hurt and the Saints were doing their own thing in spite of a direct warning from the league.

Re: Saints Player Suspensions Announced

The exchange of non contract money is going on in every locker room in the NFL.
    Not money put up by outside agents like what happened in New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Not money put up by outside agents like what happened in New Orleans.
    But we are talking about players being punished for putting up money. That is the crime here right? So there money is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And the Saints got caught, we're told to stop, ignored that warning and kept going.

You're defending the indefensible, especially in the shadow of Seau's death. The league is bending over backwards to stop players from getting hurt and the Saints were doing their own thing in spite of a direct warning from the league.
    Seau's death is irrelevant to this discussion.

Seau's death is irrelevant to this discussion.
    So far, yes.

How about Dave Duerson then? Or the voluminous evidence about concussions linked to suicide, depression, etc.

The league is trying to do the players right and crack down on the excessive violence. The Saints were doing their own thing, got caught, lied about and kept going.

" It's the length. "

I knew it. That is always the debate.
    Captain Offense

But we are talking about players being punished for putting up money. That is the crime here right? So there money is the same.
    Let's assume for a moment you are correct that players putting their own money into the pot is not against the rules. I don't know whether that's the case, and I suspect it is *not* the case if the money is still a bounty for physical injury and "cart offs" and the like, but for the sake of argument I'll assume you are correct about that.

The players are still (a) knowingly mixing their money with money from non-player sources, making it an illegal pot of money (a cup of wine and a cup of sewage gives you two cups of sewage), (b) collecting the money from the pool including money from non-player sources, (c) verbally encouraging each other to participate in the scheme, and (d) obstructing the investigation.

It appears the NFL believes each of those things to be the case, and none of those requires Goodell to decide whether (i) any particular hit was related to the bounty or (ii) any particular player was *trying* to collect money from the bounty.

On a mostly-unrelated note, I wouldn't feel quite so much like I was picking on a kid if you would bother to distinguish between "there" and "their."
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Let's assume for a moment you are correct that players putting their own money into the pot is not against the rules. I don't know whether that's the case, and I suspect it is *not* the case if the money is still a bounty for physical injury and "cart offs" and the like, but for the sake of argument I'll assume you are correct about that.

The players are still (a) knowingly mixing their money with money from non-player sources, making it an illegal pot of money (a cup of wine and a cup of sewage gives you two cups of sewage), (b) collecting the money from the pool including money from non-player sources, (c) verbally encouraging each other to participate in the scheme, and (d) obstructing the investigation.

It appears the NFL believes each of those things to be the case, and none of those requires Goodell to decide whether (i) any particular hit was related to the bounty or (ii) any particular player was *trying* to collect money from the bounty.

On a mostly-unrelated note, I wouldn't feel quite so much like I was picking on a kid if you would bother to distinguish between "there" and "their."
    A pot of money mixed with another pot of money, makes a pot of money.
    So, it goes on in every NFL locker room, yet there is no crack down. It goes on in the NO"s locker room and it's a 1 year suspension. Not a fine, not a 2 game, not a 4 game, one full year. The same punishment Sean Payton got. The same Sean Payton who has decades left in his career in coaching. Vilma doesn't have that amount of time left in his career.

I'll worry about grammar when I am turning in a report. I couldn't care less about in on a fricking message board.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    " It's the length. "

I knew it. That is always the debate.
    :)

Blog Entries

"What would you give for the man beside you?"

So, it goes on in every NFL locker room, yet there is no crack down. It goes on in the NO"s locker room and it's a 1 year suspension. Not a fine, not a 2 game, not a 4 game, one full year. The same punishment Sean Payton got. The same Sean Payton who has decades left in his career in coaching. Vilma doesn't have that amount of time left in his career.

I'll worry about grammar when I am turning in a report. I couldn't care less about in on a fricking message board.
    Right, turning in a report. Like I said, arguing with a kid.

You take as a premise that "it goes on in every locker room." Your entire argument is based on that premise. Without it, you have nothing.

Now go back it up. And explain how it's like the NO situation, including the cover up, the prior warnings, the outside money, all of it.

I won't hold my breath.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

So the reason for your argument all boils down to you felt Vilma's suspension was too much. And partly because "this goes on in every locker room".

What do you feel he should have been suspended for, or do you even feel he should have been suspended at all for plunking down 10k in an attempt to get other player injured (regardless if the were successful or not).