Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Would Jacoby Jones Be a Good Fit With Ravens?

Jacoby has been awesome. I hope they use him more as a receiver going forward. His speed is killer.

Jacoby, Torrey, Doss, Reed as 4 wide outs. Now that would be an interesting crew going down field. How do you cover all that speed?

But hell we would never try that at least 1 time.

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    Jacoby, Torrey, Doss, Reed as 4 wide outs. Now that would be an interesting crew going down field. How do you cover all that speed?

Reed won't be here next year, not a hope in hell after what jones has done as a returner.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post

From what I've read is Doss is the same type of WR as Boldin and doesn't have a ton of speed. Also read that Reed is a possession guy too. I could be wrong but I've seen this written up before.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    From what I've read is Doss is the same type of WR as Boldin and doesn't have a ton of speed.
    Yeah Doss ran a 4.6 40. I think he's our Boldin replacement. Boldin has even said that we wouldn't know Boldin was gone with Doss in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Reed won't be here next year, not a hope in hell after what jones has done as a returner.
    David Reed will be given a chance to make the team next year, but I would agree that the odds are very much against him making the team at this point.

But, IMO, the question of whether Jones will be our KR next year is very much up in the air at this point. The Ravens will have to pay him $4M to keep him next year. Prior to the season, I would have said (actually did say) that there was probably no way they would pay him that.

Now, though, I'm not so sure.

Assuming he continues to play the way that he has, it's going to be very interesting to see what they decide to do. They are going to be very tight against the Cap and if they have to franchise Flacco, they are going to need every available Cap dollar. As such, Jones making $4M seems like a bit of a stretch, but it's also very hard to see them letting go of him after a success, productive season (again, assuming he keeps it up).

EDIT: Although, if they were to release Boldin - thereby saving $6M in Cap space - they could probably more afford to keep Jones and his $4M in salary and roster bonus (not that I'm advocating that).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Yeah Doss ran a 4.6 40. I think he's our Boldin replacement. Boldin has even said that we wouldn't know Boldin was gone with Doss in the lineup.
    He also ran that with an injured hip. Iirc, he ran closer to a 4.45 before the injury, and after being 2 years removed, i believe hes probably closer to that again.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    David Reed will be given a chance to make the team next year, but I would agree that the odds are very much against him making the team at this point.

But, IMO, the question of whether Jones will be our KR next year is very much up in the air at this point. The Ravens will have to pay him $4M to keep him next year. Prior to the season, I would have said (actually did say) that there was probably no way they would pay him that.

Assuming he continues to play the way that he has, it's going to be very interesting to see what they decide to do. They are going to be very tight against the Cap and if they have to franchise Flacco, they are going to need every available Cap dollar. As such, Jones making $4M seems like a bit of a stretch, but it's also very hard to see them letting go of him after a success, productive season (again, assuming he keeps it up).

EDIT: Although, if they were to release Boldin - thereby saving $6M in Cap space - they could probably more afford to keep Jones and his $4M in salary and roster bonus (not that I'm advocating that).
    If we cut Birk, Bobbie Williams, and restructure Jacoboy and Boldins contract, would there be any significant savings doing that?

I think if they decide to keep Jones, they will work out an extension to lower that cap number at least for next year and the following year.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think if they decide to keep Jones, they will work out an extension to lower that cap number at least for next year and the following year.
    I would expect the Ravens would offer just that, but the player has to also be interested, so it depends on what kind of deal Jones would want at that point and what he feels he's worth. At that point, he (and his agent) may want to try and parlay his season into a bigger, longer term deal.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If we cut Birk, Bobbie Williams, and restructure Jacoboy and Boldins contract, would there be any significant savings doing that?
    Both Jones and Boldin will be in the last years of their deals, so any restructure would come with a new signing bonus and added years. Not sure they will want to possibly make that kind of longer term, financial commitment to a KR/3rd WR and not sure they will want to add years - at the expense of future Cap dollars - for Boldin.

Blog Entries

Both Jones and Boldin will be in the last years of their deals, so any restructure would come with a new signing bonus and added years. Not sure they will want to possibly make that kind of longer term, financial commitment to a KR/3rd WR and not sure they will want to add years - at the expense of future Cap dollars - for Boldin.
    I don't think cutting Boldin, while financially saving a lot, would be in the best interests of this offense, he's a vital part of it, and there would need to be a suitable replacement for him, which would have to be either a highly drafted possession receiver, a big FA signing, or the hope of Tandon Doss stepping up. I'm not all that sure if Doss could ever be as good as Boldin, even if he has showed some promise this year.

So cutting JJ, Williams, and Birk, should theoretically save over 5 million in cap space next year, am I right? And don't forget about the possibility of Ray Lewis retiring or being cut him self (dare I say it).