Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 111213

Re: Would Jacoby Jones Be a Good Fit With Ravens?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I know Boldin has been here a few years, but the same could be said for him.
    Boldin had an amazing post season! I forgive his drop in the playoffs in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Nice example.

/sarcasm.

This is almost exactly like your Russell Wilson infatuation. You get fixed on something and then when a bunch of posters come and point out different things, perspectives, and *gasp* FACTS to you, you become this childish person who essentially posts a bunch of drivel that (at it's core) equates to absolutely nothing and has no meaning. You purposely disregard these things because you can't be wrong.

People wanted to bring up Jacoby Jones as a potential kick/punt returner option. Even in another thread prior to the Texans releasing him I said he'd be interesting because he is very fast, tall, and when he hangs onto the ball isn't a bad returner. However, post-release from the Texans his agent eluded to Jones wanting to go to a team where he'd be a bigger part of the offense than what he was in Houston. This is a problem for a few reasons. The first being that he had every opportunity to be a big part of the Texans' offense and even when lined up across from arguably one of the top 3 receivers in the game for the past FIVE seasons the best he could muster up was 562 yards in a season. If he is such a good player (as you seem to feel that he is/could be) then why did the Texans cut him for 2 rookie receivers without even letting him compete for a roster spot? The answer is he's just not that good of a player and the Texans weren't going to keep him regardless. So, either he or his agent (or both) are delusional to a certain degree. The second reason is that if he's looking to be a bigger part of a team's offense that almost undoubtedly means that he's going to want to get a fair amount of money. Probably not top tier money, but more than what he's worth and what his NFL production is worth.

More importantly, if you've watched him play (short of a handful of games where he did play very well) he's not physical at all and in the AFC North against the Steelers and Bengals you NEED to be physical at WR. He's not, he's never been that type of a player, and at 27/28 years old it's likely that he'll never be that kind of a receiver. Now, if Cam utilized 3 or 4 WR sets often designed to get specific receivers into open zones where they aren't going after contested passes, then Jones might make a little sense. However - as you and I both know - Cam rarely uses more than 2 receivers at a time and almost never uses 4. So, why would Jones even want to come here? Furthermore, why would the Ravens (who have very little cap space at all) want to sign and spend for someone who's not a good fit schematically for the Ravens?

Finally, if you're really concerned with the kick/punt returner position (which I adamantly contend that you are not because Jacoby Jones is not the best FA returner available at the moment) then you'd be looking at guys like Stefan Logan who would be a fraction of the cost and would have little to no aspirations to be anything more than a kick/punt returner. Logan averaged nearly 5 yards more per kick return last year. Another better option as a kick/punt returner (mostly kick) is Jerious Norwood, who has a career average of over 25 yards per kick return AND he'd fulfill a potential depth RB position as well. Again, he'd be significantly less expensive than Jacoby Jones.

Oh, and uh...here's your hammer: :hammer:
    Oh, I think that Russell Wilson infatuation was pretty right on as well. Mommathursyourburga should be a NFL scout.

He's 1 of the best FA acquisition of this past offseason. I hope he stays and get restructured and get new deal. He seems like he likes it there. And I gave him a nickname. Jay boogie

I LOVE Jones! But I have one worry. He still drops the ball when receiving returns. 3 times in the postseason. It flies under the radar because they were uneventful. But still, key bobbles in key situations. This time he got them back without incident, but next year in a close playoff game, it could spell disaster. He dropped these on KO returns. He has time to recover on KO returns. Not so much time on punts. The Ravens are smart enough to put a more sure handed returner when receiving punts deep in their own territory.

So, statistically... he's gonna lose one. And it could end/define a season. High Risk/High Reward?

Would Jacoby Jones Be a Good Fit With Ravens?
    I dunno man; I mean he has to have a REALLY good postseason (if we make it) to be a good fit. Like, game-winnning TDs, KR for TDs etc type deals. Plus I think he might be motivated to play better being from NOLA.

:p
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Your words are marked! I went thought this thread an was the ONLY one wanted Jacoby Jones. Got tossed insults for my arguements. If NOT for Jacoby Jones we are NOT SB CHAMPS PERIOD.
    It was a great signing by Oz, but that might be taking it bit far. If Jones just has a decent return to open the half, the offense might well have gone down and scored a TD to open the half...and chewed up more clock in the process.

Not saying his return was a bad thing- far from it. But it's not like the Ravens offense was destined to go cold in the second half. I think the double-halftime from the blackout had quite a bit to do with it. Between the halftime, blackout, and Jones's KTD, it was something like 80 minutes between offensive series for the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by D-RavedUp5-27-52-20 View Post
    He's 1 of the best FA acquisition of this past offseason. I hope he stays and get restructured and get new deal. He seems like he likes it there. And I gave him a nickname. Jay boogie
    Definitely...and WRT immediate and ultimate payoff, I'd say JJ12 might be the best FA signing ever.
    Shannon Sharpe in 2000 is also way up there.
    SF signing Deion in 1994 comes to mind as well.

"Immediate and ultimate payoff" I'm taking about...not the life of the contract.