Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Would Jacoby Jones Be a Good Fit With Ravens?

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    The mental toughness of a person is often assigned by others. If others perceived that the said person lacks a mental toughness, the person's mental toughness will be called into question. Additionally, being mentally tough, in my opinion, is more than putting your pads on or whatsoever. It is how far you are willing to push the limit. Mistakes are make here in there, but it is how well you rebound from those mistakes that define your mental toughness.

I was merely reinforcing Wicked's point. If I made a mistake in that process, please do correct me.
    No, you were correct for the most part.

Jacoby Jones isn't necessarily a "bad" player, but he's not a good one either. At best, he'd be the #3 receiver on the roster and with the money that he is looking for and the role that he is looking for it just wouldn't be a good fit in Baltimore. He'd be a much better option for a team like Dallas or Arizona who use a lot of 3-4 receiver sets, lots of crossing/zone patterns (getting him into space) and they don't play in the cold for half of the year.

I've watched a fair amount of Texans games and I just don't see a guy who plays like a Raven.

Schematically, I just don't think he'd be a good fit for this offense.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Jones is a strange player. He seems to have a lot of potential. Whenever he gets a chance to really prove himself he flops. I don't know if he just can't handle the pressure or is overrated because of a handful of terrific plays. Whatever the reason he's not for us.
    You hit the nail on the head. As a Raven living in Texas I've seen enough of this guy to say, PASS!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. As a Raven living in Texas I've seen enough of this guy to say, PASS!
    What part of TX?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    What part of TX?
    NW Houston/Tomball

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    NW Houston/Tomball
    Nice .... are you a member of our fan group? We're getting pretty big!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Nice .... are you a member of our fan group? We're getting pretty big!
    I was until I deleted my Facebook account. The first two games were at a BWW in the Heights. After that between the drive and work, I couldn't get out there much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He's also the guy that caught a deep TD pass over top of Ed Reed.

Again, he's not a bad player, but he doesn't fit the profile of a Ravens player.
    You mean, in the spot that Pollard vacated, forcing Reed to come all the way across the field from his spot and try to defend it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

He does not play his size. He does not have quality hands and he has not taken advantage of his opportunities to become a name player. He had Andre Johnson on the other side of him and Matt Schaub throwing him the ball. Yet, he hasn't been able to shake Kevin Walter? The AFC North is the last place you want him to be. He belongs in the NFC South.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

9. Re: Would Jacoby Jones Be a Good Fit With Ravens?

By watching the way that they play. You don't see Anquan Boldin get alligator arms when he goes over the middle of the field. You also don't see him half-assing blocks because he doesn't want to get dirty. Boldin has had his fair share of drops and it's been a big disappointment, but no one can question his toughness. Jacoby Jones has never displayed that kind of physical or mental toughness in his 5 year career. What makes anyone think he could come to Baltimore and be any different?

First i would like to say this was just a hypothetical question. Secondly I wouldnt expect Jones to come here and be our #1 or 2 WR if the ravens did hypotheically sign him. He would be a returner and he would probably get in on a few packages as our 4th and 5th WR. And in those packages 90% of his routes would be go routes. He would not be ask to go over the middle. This is why we have Boldin, Dickson, and Pitta. Even if Jones was our #3 WR he would not get any targets anyway. Cam ignores the #3WR. If you think that i think Jacoby Jones will come here and turn into Dick Butkus than your wrong. Deion Sanders was not a hard hitter, not even close but he is one of the greatest corners to play the game. He avoided contact and big hits sometimes. Was he mentally tough?

Cundiff - not really. He obviously doesn't do that well with pressure.
    Cam - he's a coach...who cares? He's not on the field potentially going over the middle for a pass and getting steamrolled by Ryan Clark.
    Doss - don't know yet.
    D. Reed - nope, but he also obviously doesn't have an NFL body that can handle NFL hits.

Thanks for addressing every name I listed. Now go down the rest of the Ravens roster and determine if a guy is mentally tough or not since you seem to have it down pack.

No, it's not. Just watch him play. He practically does everything he can do in order to avoid contact. He wants all the glory without the hard work, IMO and I think that you can determine that from the way that he plays on the field. The Ravens wouldn't be spending the money it would take to sign him (something that you guys don't ever seem to grasp when it comes to free agents) just for him to come here and be a kick/punt returner. It's just not worth it when you have arguably 3-5 players already under contract who can perform the same functions and not cost nearly as much.

Like i said before this was a hypothetical question. Its nothing wrong with asking a what if question since this is all we do on this site. I know the Ravens have guys on the team that can return punts and kicks. (Captin Obvious alert)

Its very mentally tough to be in the physical shape Jacoby Jones is in. Im sure he didnt get that way by chatting online all day. He probably been playing football his whole life. The amount of work and effort he has done to be in the physical shape he is in takes a lot of work. Running, lifting weights, eating right, etc. That takes discipline and mental toughness. Since 70% of America is obese i guess that makes 70% of America not mentally tough. My thing is do not question a guy mental tougness without knowing him personally. Just because he does not like to go across the middle or get alligator arms when he sees a defender does not mean he is not mentally tough. That means he dont like to get hit and laid out in the middle of the field. Thats not his strength.
    :hammer:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    :hammer:
    You know, if you're going to try and include snide remarks as an attempt to insult people, the least you could do is incorporate proper grammar and spelling. However, it's kind of like your thing though. We've all come to expect nothing less from you! It's kind of like when your little brother or sister can't pronounce things like spaghetti and calls it "passketti". It's cute.

I don't know Jacoby Jones. You're right. However, I don't care. I've seen him play and pretty much every other person in this thread who has seen him play knows that he doesn't play like a Raven. He couldn't hang here. I don't know why you want to espouse about the "shape" he's in because it makes no difference on the field. He's inconsistent at best and considering the already amount of inconsistency at WR, why add another expensive inconsistent guy to the mix? That just doesn't seem like good business to me.

[As a side note, can you please provide some form of statistical evidence that 70% of Americans are obese?] The reason I ask is because I know for a fact that you're about 40% off the mark there. I fail to see how this even remotely is pertinent to the discussion of Jacoby Jones. You're talking about his "work outs". Cool. Who gives a shit? I'm talking about how he PLAYS on the field. Vernon Gholston was an outstanding physical specimen in shorts and a t-shirt. How'd he do in the pros?

Finally - and you clearly just don't have any desire to acknowledge this - the dude's agent has stated that he's looking to be a big part of a team's offense. That means not in Baltimore because he wouldn't be. If he wants to be a top receiver (at least from depth chart perspective) why come to Baltimore where Cam (historically) doesn't really use multiple WR sets and there is about a 0% chance of him beating out Torrey and Q for the top 2 receiver spots.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 05-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.

11. Re: Would Jacoby Jones Be a Good Fit With Ravens?

You know, if you're going to try and include snide remarks as an attempt to insult people, the least you could do is incorporate proper grammar and spelling. However, it's kind of like your thing though. We've all come to expect nothing less from you! It's kind of like when your little brother or sister can't pronounce things like spaghetti and calls it "passketti". It's cute.

Saying a grown man talks cute is not being mentally tough.

I don't know Jacoby Jones. You're right. However, I don't care. I've seen him play and pretty much every other person in this thread who has seen him play knows that he doesn't play like a Raven. He couldn't hang here. I don't know why you want to espouse about the "shape" he's in because it makes no difference on the field. He's inconsistent at best and considering the already amount of inconsistency at WR, why add another expensive inconsistent guy to the mix? That just doesn't seem like good business to me.

Trading a 4th round pick for Lee Evans last year wasnt good business eitheir. "Play like a Raven" That term is overused now fans take it to heart. How many guys in the NFL right now play like a Raven? Or do you only have to be a Raven to play with heart and toughness? I know as Fans people tend to care more about the games and offseason than the players do. So im guessing your the type of guy that thinks everybody on the roster plays like a Raven even though you havent seen all these guys play or know non of these guys personally. I guess "In Ozzie We Trust" is your motto too.

[As a side note, can you please provide some form of statistical evidence that 70% of Americans are obese?] The reason I ask is because I know for a fact that you're about 40% off the mark there. I fail to see how this even remotely is pertinent to the discussion of Jacoby Jones. You're talking about his "work outs". Cool. Who gives a shit? I'm talking about how he PLAYS on the field. Vernon Gholston was an outstanding physical specimen in shorts and a t-shirt. How'd he do in the pros?

Finally - and you clearly just don't have any desire to acknowledge this - the dude's agent has stated that he's looking to be a big part of a team's offense. That means not in Baltimore because he wouldn't be. If he wants to be a top receiver (at least from depth chart perspective) why come to Baltimore where Cam (historically) doesn't really use multiple WR sets and there is about a 0% chance of him beating out Torrey and Q for the top 2 receiver spots.

Like i said before since you seem to know his agent and Jacoby Jones personal feelings and business. This was just a hypothetical question. The Ravens are probably not giving this guy the time of day. I posted this topic to discuss it. I know you be on here everyday faithfully. Just let other people get their two cents in sometimes.

To say a guy is not mentally tough because of his play is stupid. Just say the guy is just a speed reciever. Randy Moss short handed a few balls going across the middle over the span of his career. But he made his killing on the numbers beating guys deep. So is he not mentally tough for not going across the middle more is his career? I think not. He played to his strengths. Far as i know Jacoby Jones could be the same way. His strength is speed not taking hits over the middle. I never said Jacoby Jones is a all pro or Ray Lewis JR.
    :happyanim

Blog Entries

I would just like to point out that in your last two ever so thought provoking posts you compared Jacoby Jones to Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders, and Dick Butkus.

And you never answered your source for determining that "70% of Americans are obese". I'm still curious where you gathered that number from.