Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens Fans in DC / Southern MD

I am just wondering how much the Ravens having just gone 2-0 in SB trophies on the Redskins in this millenium will impact the growth on the Ravens fan base in traditional RS territory. I remember well when those arrogant fans looked down on the Ravens and their fans as afterthoughts. I guess the tune has changed now.

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Fans in DC / Southern MD

There is not as big a gap in fan base between the Redskins and Ravens down here as the Redskins organization and NFL would like you to think.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

I grew up in Redskins territory (MoCo) and live in DC. It's not like NY where different neighborhoods hate each other so you have a city divided into Yankees/Giants and Mets/Jets.

I'd say most people here root primarily for the Redskins, since they've been around longer, just like many people in this area also root for the Orioles, since they grew up with them. But almost everyone is happy to see the Ravens do well, they're from the area after all, and most people in DC honestly think Baltimore's an alright place. By contrast I don't see many fans in Baltimore who also root for the Skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I grew up in Redskins territory (MoCo) and live in DC. It's not like NY where different neighborhoods hate each other so you have a city divided into Yankees/Giants and Mets/Jets.

I'd say most people here root primarily for the Redskins, since they've been around longer, just like many people in this area also root for the Orioles, since they grew up with them. But almost everyone is happy to see the Ravens do well, they're from the area after all, and most people in DC honestly think Baltimore's an alright place. By contrast I don't see many fans in Baltimore who also root for the Skins.
    I graduated high school in moco and i would say it was about half and half redskins and ravens. A ton of skins fans came out of the woodwork with rg3 coming to down tho. And i find their "happy to see the ravens do well" quality as being very bandwagony. My Facebook feed was blowing up with statuses from "redskins fans" hailing the ravens yesterday. Quite annoying

Well DC itself has become a very transient city so that might be why they're more open to the Ravens success then Baltimore is to the success of the Skins.

Wow...that is some really interesting data...presented in a very interesting way.

I do think the Ravens are slowly, very slowly, gaining a more national following.

As for the DC area...most die-hard Redskins fans will continue to remain die-hard Redskins fans...where I really think the Ravens are making in-roads is in the under 25 generation (the next generation of fans)...I have heard many, many stories of people I work with in DC who are Redskins fans, but their kids love Ray Rice, or Ladarius Webb, Joe Flacco, etc.

If RG3 returns fully healthy and goes on an extended career of winning teams, playoffs, a championship or two, that trend would almost certainly be reversed.

People just simply love a winner....

Blog Entries

Thanks, that's interesting. The color schemes they used were less than optimal, but it still allows to see interesting trends. It would be great to see what this map looks in a few years if the Ravens go to a couple more SBs under Flacco.

I think we are more likely to make further inroads into southern PA and western MD than we are in DC.

The Redskins fan contingent in Southern Maryland fans is arguably the strongest in the 30-40 something demographic. Those were the fans who grew up in the period where the Skins were the regions only team, so it was only natural to follow them. Most didn't really feel the same sort of bitterness about the Colts leaving as fans living closer to Baltimore did, so there was no real resentment towards the Redskins in the area (who technically played slightly closer anyways.)

Ironically, many of those same fans are also Orioles fans as opposed to Nationals fans due to the same reason--the Orioles were the only baseball team in the area for many years, so that's where the loyalties fell.

This is actually my demo--Southern Maryland born and raised, in his 30s. However, I always had strong ties to the Baltimore area. Both my parents grew up there, both sets of grandparents lived there and we would visit them in Baltimore every week, we read The Sun and we watched Baltimore news. I didn't have any connections like that to DC, so I never had any attachments towards its teams. (Plus I always considered myself a Marylander, and Baltimore was Maryland and DC was not). So while I grew up where the Redskins were the only team in the area, I never felt like rooting for them--instead, I held out attaching myself to any NFL team until the Ravens came to town. And this was when the Redskins would actually put out a good team year in and out, so it could have been easy for me to jump on the bandwagon.

Ironically, I moved out of Maryland to Florida in 1997, so I actually only lived one year as a local Ravens fan. Everything since then has been from afar.

In my opinion, he Ravens will make very little inroads in DC and NoVa, with the exception perhaps of some disillusioned Skins fans (if the Skins don't consistently win). However, presuming the Ravens continue their winning ways, I wouldn't be surprised if Southern Maryland becomes more of a 50-50 split. Same goes for Frederick, and I think there's even some potential with PG and Montgomery counties. I did see more and more of my old school friends on Facebook from Southern Maryland posting about the Ravens during the playoff run, so they've definitely made significant progress over the past 17 years.

Last edited by JohnBKistler; 02-05-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post

Wow, someone's a bit obsessed.