Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Re: How did we do?

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    They may have loved the kid. That's not the point. The odds are he would have still been there later. And if not there were high quality centers still available.
    Well, what do you expect? I don't know how they break down the process of picking players, but I'm sure they stick to it as the draft unfolds. I'm sure that every pick they made followed the plan they went into the draft with, probably updated every night. Particularly in taking Gradkowski--he was the third pick off the board that day! Givens (WR) and Miller (RB) were taken before the Ravens picked, and since we'd already taken an RB, you can be sure we weren't targeting Miller. So that means that at worst, Gradkowski was the Ravens' #2 choice for that draft slot--they'd had all night to think about it...

Don't think they panicked at all--I think they stuck to their plan. It's just that the picks other teams made pushed them a lot farther from their ideal plan than they would have liked...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Dig it. We don't do splashes in FA and we don't view the Draft as an opportunity to make a splash either.

I think we can pretty much assume that a whopping 90+% of the fan base predicted 12.5% of this draft correctly.
    None of the names past Upshaw (and to a much lesser extent, Streeter) was ever batted around these forums with any frequency or excitement. Therefore, many, many people are finding it hard to be excited about what we did this weekend. Essentially, it's a lot of "I really wanted X, Y or Z". But that's what happens when so many people these days watch a few hours of video, construct there own boards and lay out their own mocks. I actually get that.

No matter what though, from a needs basis, I think we pretty much nailed it (though I'd be the first to make a small argument on the WR choice), and I'm excited to see how each of these cats develop this summer.
    Something that a lot of folks forget or don't acknowledge is that there are 31 other teams picking in the draft too. Within those 31 other teams there are tips given and things of that nature based on professional and personal relationships among scouts, coaches, & GM's.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I'd say a solid B.

We got JJ's replacement, a guy who can set the edge(Unlike Kruger) and also at least a threat to get to the QB.

Solid LG starter without having to rely on Reid, whom I'm hoping they put into competition with McKinnie more so than at G. A: It pushes McKinney, or he gets beat out. Either way win win for the Ravens.

Future C, who could also step in if Birk can't finish the season(Huge probability).

And some ST guys and backups, depth on the DL.

Streeter I mentioned way back when as someone I was interested in. Not concerned about his routes. Joe throws high, evryone knows this. T.Smith demands help on his side, leaving the possability of Streeter and Boldin manned up. Run a go or a 9 and let Joe put it up there. 6'5 and 4.4 speed is going to beat 95% of CB's in the league if the timing is right and the ball is high.

Sure there were "other" guys in the same positions that we may have liked better, but all in all it works for me. Still hating on not getting Jeffrey,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yes, several games.

Solid player. Needs a lot of coaching though.

My point is that I'm sure the Ravens scouts watched a lot of Brewster as well and they liked what Gradkowski brings to the table more than what Brewster or other centers brought to the table.
    I'll buy that. Seen Brewster play myself. Tough/smart/talented and played against tougher opponents in the Big Ten.

Do you believe what he lacks can't be coached up or learned as a backup?

Do you believe the team is better with Gino than with the top WR available at the time of the pick and Brewster as an undrafted FA?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Dig it. We don't do splashes in FA and we don't view the Draft as an opportunity to make a splash either.

I think we can pretty much assume that a whopping 90+% of the fan base predicted 12.5% of this draft correctly.
    None of the names past Upshaw (and to a much lesser extent, Streeter) was ever batted around these forums with any frequency or excitement. Therefore, many, many people are finding it hard to be excited about what we did this weekend. Essentially, it's a lot of "I really wanted X, Y or Z". But that's what happens when so many people these days watch a few hours of video, construct there own boards and lay out their own mocks. I actually get that.

No matter what though, from a needs basis, I think we pretty much nailed it (though I'd be the first to make a small argument on the WR choice), and I'm excited to see how each of these cats develop this summer.
    I disagree with that. They make splashes in the draft all the time. This is the first year in a long time where the Ravens didn't have a pick that most of the fanbase was excited about and proclaiming as the next pro bowl player.

I posted this earlier and nobody responded.

After getting 2 probable starters with our first 2 picks, who were we going to get that would be starting or getting a ton of PT after the first 2 rounds?

Did someone think that we were drafting an OT in rounds 3-7 that would start over McKinnie and Oher? How about another guard that would play in place of Yanda? If we drafted Ben Jones instead of Gronkowski...would he have started over Birk? How about another sexy FB over Leach?

I know, I know...we needed another WR like Criner, McNutt, Marvin Jones or Toon...guys people wanted in the 2nd/3rd rounds. Only they were thought of as such difference makers, basically every WR people wanted outside of Hill/Jeffrey and Randle were drafted on day 3 and none of whom will start and probably none will make really large contributions in year 1.

Was there a ILB who would have started over McClain other than Hightower? Would any safeties have got a ton of PT this year? Or CB's? How about DL?

Again, the ONLY 2 spots where we needed potential starters were LG and OLB...and we got 2 with our first 2 picks. 3rd WR is a spot we definitely need to improve, but other than Randle in the 2nd (where we got our 2 starters), there was never a time when one of the WR's were good value at where we were picking. The main guys most here were calling for were drafted 3 or 4 rounds later than expected because they had flaws...or were coming off bad injuries...are you seriously going to beat up the Ravens because they didn't take Criner or McNutt in the 3rd round even though they were 5th and 6th round value?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I posted this earlier and nobody responded.

After getting 2 probable starters with our first 2 picks, who were we going to get that would be starting or getting a ton of PT after the first 2 rounds?

Did someone think that we were drafting an OT in rounds 3-7 that would start over McKinnie and Oher? How about another guard that would play in place of Yanda? If we drafted Ben Jones instead of Gronkowski...would he have started over Birk? How about another sexy FB over Leach?

I know, I know...we needed another WR like Criner, McNutt, Marvin Jones or Toon...guys people wanted in the 2nd/3rd rounds. Only they were thought of as such difference makers, basically every WR people wanted outside of Hill/Jeffrey and Randle were drafted on day 3 and none of whom will start and probably none will make really large contributions in year 1.

Was there a ILB who would have started over McClain other than Hightower? Would any safeties have got a ton of PT this year? Or CB's? How about DL?

Again, the ONLY 2 spots where we needed potential starters were LG and OLB...and we got 2 with our first 2 picks. 3rd WR is a spot we definitely need to improve, but other than Randle in the 2nd (where we got our 2 starters), there was never a time when one of the WR's were good value at where we were picking. The main guys most here were calling for were drafted 3 or 4 rounds later than expected because they had flaws...or were coming off bad injuries...are you seriously going to beat up the Ravens because they didn't take Criner or McNutt in the 3rd round even though they were 5th and 6th round value?
    +1...

1. I never referred to the Safety in my post. The RB and G/C pick specifically are the panic picks. More so when than who.

2. When the players targeted ( 2 guards and ILB) were taken ( 2 by division opponents) they feared more targets would be taken and they reached to get them. IE they panicked
    Panicked? Come on, man. This crew has been together for how many years? They don't panic.
    In fact, either Ozzie or Eric (maybe both) said last night that this was the most organized that they've ever been for a draft.

Once the draft gets moving it's a rolling game of scenario analysis (done mostly before the clock starts on Thursday) married with risk management (real-time, all weekend). Any given FO has terabytes of more information than 99% of us. Our FO's information is even more "customized" than most other FO's b/c we believe in 1st person evaluations over independent analysis from Scouts, Inc and others.

Critiquing the players is one thing, but critiquing our draft process?
    I mean, unless you had a seat in the war room, you're just barking in the back yard.

Happens every year.
    On both sides of the issue. Total double standards from the so-called powers to be.

Happens every year.
    Absolutely. But to be honest, if our 4th round center prospect and upshaw pan out ...that's pretty solid "creativity" by the front office. Lots of people talk up trading down, but the key is finding someone with the extra pick and getting value. I think the team did a very nice job in that spot.

I don't know much about KO, but I'm inclined to trust the front office in terms of guard prospects after Grubbs/Yanda (I really remember people flipping out about Yanda when we traded up for him in the 3rd).

Runningback made sense and watching some of the tape....the guy looks legit. You see a bunch of similarity to Rice in terms of lateral quickness and you see a bunch of those stretch/zone running plays. Might play a little bit too upright (could get lit up), but I like it.

I think much of the bitterness and angst comes from divisional teams getting a lot of players that were hyped and New England and/or Pittsburgh continue to either jump in front of the Ravens to take the player the Ravens would pick or just take really solid guys at good times.

We'll see in a few years. The sergio kindle draft feels worse and worse all the time. Granted, no one knew he'd fracture his skull, but dear lord (and notice how new england jumped us for Gronk). Then again, the only guy I sorta wish we'd taken in that round was Dunlap...so "eh."
    Just win baby...

Blog Entries

I'll buy that. Seen Brewster play myself. Tough/smart/talented and played against tougher opponents in the Big Ten.

Do you believe what he lacks can't be coached up or learned as a backup?

Do you believe the team is better with Gino than with the top WR available at the time of the pick and Brewster as an undrafted FA?
    I believe any player can be coached up if they're willing to accept the coaching.

I honestly cannot say if the team would have been better with a top rater WR in round 4 and Brewster as a UDFA or not. You also have to think that UDFA's get a choice in where they sign. Brewster may not have been interested in playing in Baltimore anyway. Gradkowski could end up becoming the best interior offensive lineman out of this draft. We don't know yet.

What we do know is that the Ravens are one of the better teams when gauging OL prospects and if they liked Gino Gradkowski in the 4th round over Ben Jones & Mike Brewster and other players. So, it's best to reserve judgment until we see him on the field.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
    a pass throwing machine = jugs
    kind of like a baseball pitching machine

Of COURSE it equals "jugs" . . . how could I have missed the obvious logic of the moniker?