Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Re: How did we do?

I like the potential we gained today. I love Streeter, he brings physical gifts and lacks the things he can be coached, I love seeing that in prospects, whether or not he responds is the question, but I'm incredibly pleased with that pick

Other than taking Gradakowski so early I was very pleased. I give it a B+

Blog Entries

It just seems like we drafted a lot of projects, where some other teams in the AFC have more pro ready players. We probably got some solid depth but I don't really see that one special player that will be an impact player for the next decade.

But I am holding out judgement until we get them on the field. But this was really a "meh" draft. Probably the least excited I have been during the Harbaugh era.

Quote Originally Posted by sandiegosean View Post
    It was a fail if you take into account what our AFC comp. got. Pitt, Cincy, NE, and even Houston had better drafts, that makes it scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    One Sun writer said all the AFC-N teams improved themselves but the Ravens. Even Bruce said he was trying not to get discouraged with the draft.
    No offense meant (because we all do it) but this is really flawed thinking, and here's why.

First, Everyone predicts what the Ravens greatest needs are and then ranks them in some fashion. Then, we rank players according to what we think are the best ones. Finally, we judge the success of the draft based on those two factors.

The problem is that what we think are the greatest needs of the Ravens may not at all be what the Ravens see as their greatest needs, so they are operating on a different set of criteria from the get-go. Then, the players we think are the best are not necessarily who the Ravens think are the best, so our perception becomes even more skewed. So, essentially, we are judging the success or failure of a team's draft based on criteria that may not even be valid.

Maybe the Ravens got most every player they really wanted, and maybe the players those other teams got aren't going to pan out at the NFL level. We really don't know for sure, so to say one team did great and another team did poorly is silly, really.

I think Cincinnati knocked it out of the park, but it could be that those guys don't do jack in the pros. I think Seattle had a really weird draft, but those guys may be just the players they needed to fit their schemes and get into the playoffs.

So, did the other teams have a better draft? By whose standard? It's all a guess.

Don't like the running back pick in the 3rd round. I think we had bigger needs.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Exactly my point. You think that, but maybe the Ravens didn't think that way. If you grade the draft based on your criteria, it may be that the Ravens aren't operating under that premise in the first place.

Im personally felt Tommy Streeter was a big steal especially considering the need at WR. I feel like out of all of the players the ravens drafted he has the most potential to become something.

Yea I mean look at the last couple of drafts we had. LaDarius Webb and Pernell Mcphee what bums. We def. should have picked those other guys available.......

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Like...?

I mean we filled the main glaring holes...LG and OLB with our first 2 picks. No other guy at another position would be starting this year.

No other QB/RB/FB/WR/TE/OG/C/OT/DE/DT/OLB/ILB/S/CB drafted late in the third would start THIS year.

After the first 2 picks...it was about depth and future starters...which we may need considering the real possibility that this is Ray's last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Yea I mean look at the last couple of drafts we had. LaDarius Webb and Pernell Mcphee what bums. We def. should have picked those other guys available.......
    I liked both of those picks when they were made. I liked our draft, the only head scratcher being the guard from Delaware. He's only listed at 300 and I worry about how he'll fare against the more physical DT's in the AFC. Overall I would give it a B-, could go to a B plus.

Alex Mack only weighs 311 lbs and he manages just fine in the AFC North/NFL. Is not about how much you weigh being a line man its all technique. Using technique to best utilize your strength. Bottom line whether you like a guy or not you know nothing on how the player is going to play until training camp/ preseason comes. Then you can judge.

Quote Originally Posted by sandiegosean View Post
    Hard to grade a draft the day of. It was a fail if you take into account what our AFC comp. got. Pitt, Cincy, NE, and even Houston had better drafts, that makes it scary.
    Yeah, but we took a lot of under the radar guys Sean and some actually scored pretty high marks according to some of the "experts".

Being a Cal Poly grad, kinda proud to see someone get drafted by our team. i don't follow college ball, but i'll try and post some info on him. But going to go with "in Oz we trust". Good draft with alot of potential.