Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Re: How did we do?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    But really, what's the real value difference in Upshaw vs Hightower, and DeCastro vs Osemele. People should be grateful if anything that we got these two both in the second round. Firstly I think Upshaw is a better player than Hightower, and DeCastro at this point is probably the better guard. However I DO think DeCastro is slightly overrated because he was protecting Andrew Luck all year. Osemele could kick it to guard and go on and have a better career than DeCastro because of the size he can bring to the interior line, DeCastro isn't as big and powerful as Osemele, and tackles converting to guards with that freakish size rarely ever bust.
    Completely agree. The big knock on DeCastro coming out was that he wouldn't be able to handle the mammoth DT's and NT's 1 v 1. I like having Osemele, especially in our division of huge defensive lineman. Not that I am saying DeCastro won't be a good player, but I like what Osemele brings to our team. Hopefully the coaches notice a power man blocking scheme would fit us much better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Completely agree. The big knock on DeCastro coming out was that he wouldn't be able to handle the mammoth DT's and NT's 1 v 1. I like having Osemele, especially in our division of huge defensive lineman. Not that I am saying DeCastro won't be a good player, but I like what Osemele brings to our team. Hopefully the coaches notice a power man blocking scheme would fit us much better.
    I can only keep dreaming of going back to a power blocking scheme, but I doubt it's going to happen. Decastro may have been good in that conference, but he's never came up against mount cody, and Haloti Ngata, we'll see how he gets on against them. I know I'd rather have a mammoth 6'5 340 lbs giant blocking them.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    But like he said, he won the national championship in college and knows how
    to win and was coached by one of the best coaches in the country
    and now
    comes here.

Just hit the weight room baby!
    These are two underated factors of Upshaw. I am pumped to watch him play in a Ravens Uni this year. IMHO, he is a perfect fit for this defense. Hard working, team first type of player who wants to win. While not being overly athletic or fast, his instincts, strength, size, and length cover up for it and will be great to see him opposite Suggs. Teams will have a lot of trouble running outside the tackles with those two setting the edge. In Upshaw also brings a guy who could be a future leader of the team and a great locker room presence. I loved the pick.

Hmmm well lets put it this way. I WORSHIP NO MAN ! But yes I do trust Ozzie. Put it this way, who would you rather have going into that war room for you? If I am sending someone to the plate I would rather have the guy thats batting 320 over the guy batting 210. Maybe this draft did not go their way. Maybe they did not get the exact player they were hoping for with their picks. But I trust completely that they handled this draft like they handle every one before this. They make very good sound decisions that will help this team.

I am excited about this draft class and I am excited for the upcoming season. And I hope that next year we have a even lower position in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I can only keep dreaming of going back to a power blocking scheme, but I doubt it's going to happen. Decastro may have been good in that conference, but he's never came up against mount cody, and Haloti Ngata, we'll see how he gets on against them. I know I'd rather have a mammoth 6'5 340 lbs giant blocking them.
    Yeah, the power running scheme may be a pipe dream... but back to Decastro. He could really struggle against those guys you mentioned. Don't sleep on Phil Taylor, DT on the Browns either. Especially since he will be lined up in the 4-3, it creates a huge mismatch for smaller lineman. He is a guy I am high on.

I'd like to know what the fascination with power blocking and why the dislike of zone blocking?

I don't care as long as it works...and from looking around the league, the zone blocking scheme works...and works better when you don't have a bunch of dominant linemen.

I like zone blocking and I for one, hope we stay with it as it worked last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'd like to know what the fascination with power blocking and why the dislike of zone blocking?

I don't care as long as it works...and from looking around the league, the zone blocking scheme works...and works better when you don't have a bunch of dominant linemen.

I like zone blocking and I for one, hope we stay with it as it worked last year.
    You really think our zone-blocking scheme worked? Apparently we were watching different offensive lines...

You really think our zone-blocking scheme worked? Apparently we were watching different offensive lines...
    It certainly worked better than the power scheme the prior year...

On the whole, we did a good job running the ball this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Good.

You've come around with the rest of us.

Nobody ever claimed Ozzie was perfect. This post, to which you give props, is basically what everyone you were arguing with was trying to say to you all along.

Now, please stop misrepresenting the thoughts of those who disagree with you and their opinion of Ozzie.
    You must have been looking in the mirror when typing this.

I think my comments highlights the parts I agreed with.

Novel idea...I can give props even to a post that I don't 100% agree with if it has substance.

So Many "Ozzie can't be questioned" posts out there.....fuck it, it you say so boss.

Imo, the line's problem was more so in pass-pro than run blocking. They were able to run the ball successfully when needed for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by TtlPkg17 View Post
    Hmmm well lets put it this way. I WORSHIP NO MAN ! But yes I do trust Ozzie. Put it this way, who would you rather have going into that war room for you? If I am sending someone to the plate I would rather have the guy thats batting 320 over the guy batting 210. Maybe this draft did not go their way. Maybe they did not get the exact player they were hoping for with their picks. But I trust completely that they handled this draft like they handle every one before this. They make very good sound decisions that will help this team.

I am excited about this draft class and I am excited for the upcoming season. And I hope that next year we have a even lower position in the draft.
    Prime example. How are you going to trust completely that they handled this draft like they handled every one before this when THEY told you they didn't/couldn't due to the flow of the draft? #blindtrust

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...0%98wiped-out/

Blog Entries

I like to give the draft a few years to taste it's flavor, just like making a mixed stew and letting it simmer for a while. Four years ago the Ravens traded way down, then back up a few spots in the 1st round for a QB from a small school. Then to add to our misery, they drafted an undersized, over-used RB in the 2nd. This year's draft (except for Upshaw) didn't have any "BIG" names in it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was below par. The Mel Kipers of the world are paid to make snap judgments, but nobody holds their feet to the fire a few years later. I am comfortable with the guys who have put the Ravens in the playoffs 4 years in a row... Bc