Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Blog Entries

Re: How did we do?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think there is any question that the team...and fans aren't excited about last years picks. The board fell perfectly...we were desperate for a CB...we drafted a guy many considered a top 10-15 talent at 27 (really should have been 26), and another guy int he second round that some people were putting in the late 1st/early 2nd area at the end of the round. Really...it's what happened to Pittsburgh this year.

It's the difference of drafting 3-5 slots earlier than what we did this weekend. Look at it like this...if it were us that lost in the wild card weekend, we would have had the pick of Decastro and Hightower in round one and a great shot at Konz in round 2 (one pick earlier than the Steelers) and maybe not have felt a need to trade up to get Pierce (2 picks ahead of the Steelers.

It's just the way it happens sometimes when you are drafting so low in every round.

So no, looking back, it's not the greatest on paper and it doesn't compare to last year in particular. But they did get some players that can contribute and maybe we get some diamonds out of the day 3 picks.

And it does not mean that they panicked or reached for players though.
    But really, what's the real value difference in Upshaw vs Hightower, and DeCastro vs Osemele. People should be grateful if anything that we got these two both in the second round. Firstly I think Upshaw is a better player than Hightower, and DeCastro at this point is probably the better guard. However I DO think DeCastro is slightly overrated because he was protecting Andrew Luck all year. Osemele could kick it to guard and go on and have a better career than DeCastro because of the size he can bring to the interior line, DeCastro isn't as big and powerful as Osemele, and tackles converting to guards with that freakish size rarely ever bust.

With Hightower, what is he actually going to play in the Patriots scheme? They play a 4-3 defense, and I don't see him fitting in as a 4-3 LB, he doesn't have the athleticism. They also have his clone already in Brandon Spikes, so if anything that defense just got really slow, unless they put him as a 4-3 DE, where I don't think he will ever be an elite player at. Upshaw is a much better fit in our defensive scheme, he projects much better as a 3-4 OLB than Hightower projects as a 4-3 LB, or even a 3-4 ILB IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    But really, what's the real value difference in Upshaw vs Hightower, and DeCastro vs Osemele. People should be grateful if anything that we got these two both in the second round. Firstly I think Upshaw is a better player than Hightower, and DeCastro at this point is probably the better guard. However I DO think DeCastro is slightly overrated because he was protecting Andrew Luck all year. Osemele could kick it to guard and go on and have a better career than DeCastro because of the size he can bring to the interior line, DeCastro isn't as big and powerful as Osemele, and tackles converting to guards with that freakish size rarely ever bust.

With Hightower, what is he actually going to play in the Patriots scheme? They play a 4-3 defense, and I don't see him fitting in as a 4-3 LB, he doesn't have the athleticism. They also have his clone already in Brandon Spikes, so if anything that defense just got really slow, unless they put him as a 4-3 DE, where I don't think he will ever be an elite player at. Upshaw is a much better fit in our defensive scheme, he projects much better as a 3-4 OLB than Hightower projects as a 4-3 LB, or even a 3-4 ILB IMO.
    Brandon Spikes should be concerned. They're similar in ability, but Hightower's upside is much, much higher.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

That's a matter of opinion, but a good one. I feel somewhat of the same way...I don't think there is much difference between Hightower and Upshaw...but I do think there is a significant gap between Decastro and Osemele...but KO is a solid OG prospect.

Blog Entries

Hightower can play multiple positions and he was the captain of that defense. That was a solid pick regarless of scheme

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Did the Ravens get any of "my guys"? Nope. Not a one. In fact, the only "my guy" they've drafted in past five years is Dennis Pitta (so imagine how po'd I was when we drafted Ed Dickson in 2010 ).

I'm not going to burn neurons trying to decypher the mood of the presser or balance Kiper's grade, against King's grade, against Preston's grade. I look at the cats we selected this year and when we selected them and I'm good with the Draft. Good value all around.

Cool Re: How did we do?

Actually, the Patriots switch between 4-3 to 3-4 even if they do not have the personnel to do it. I wonder if Hightower will be used properly by the Patriots. Already the so called experts (on ESPN so maybe they are not "real experts") have said Hightower will be groomed as a OLB rather than ILB since they have Spikes on the inside. If that is so they will not be working exactly to Hightower's strengths since he is more of a ILB at least at this time. Remember, the Patriots never really used Thomas properly when they signed him away from us and they do have a habit of trying to fit square pegs into round holes with their players these past few years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    Actually, the Patriots switch between 4-3 to 3-4 even if they do not have the personnel to do it. I wonder if Hightower will be used properly by the Patriots. Already the so called experts (on ESPN so maybe they are not "real experts") have said Hightower will be groomed as a OLB rather than ILB since they have Spikes on the inside. If that is so they will not be working exactly to Hightower's strengths since he is more of a ILB at least at this time. Remember, the Patriots never really used Thomas properly when they signed him away from us and they do have a habit of trying to fit square pegs into round holes with their players these past few years.
    I just can't see Hightower fitting into a 4-3 weak side or strong side LB. He can't drop back into coverage, did not display it on film, seemed too tight to me. He would have been a much better fit on an aggressive defense like ours or the Steelers, where he can come up and stuff the run. However, I am shocked but happy that we got Upshaw because overall I think he is the better player than Hightower, and a better fit for us than Hightower is a fit for the Patriots defense. I realise that the Patriots switch between the two, but for now they are primarily a 4-3 defense, so what does that mean? Does it mean Hightower is going to line up as a 4-3 DE, and then an OLB when they go to a 3-4 on occasions?

Blog Entries

I am sure that belicheck knows exactly how to use hightower in his scheme. We are talking about one of the best defensive minds in the nfl. Not only did he spend a high pick on him, he traded up to grab him. Hightower is going to become a star up in NE.

His defensive mind is so sharp that he managed to field the 32nd ranked defense last year.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fucdlk
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

ASB-

That's kinda shortsighted isn't it? The guy has been to 7 SB's, won 5 of them. He knows what happened last year and went ahead and grabbed two of the best defensive prospects in the draft. You gotta look at his body of work...not just the last year or two.

[QUOTE=blah3;451305]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Maniac View Post

What I think happened was teams, in general this year, targeted specific guys they wanted, and if they got near to them, did what it took to get them. The Ravens did not. They sat at their position and did the best they could.
    That's what I was saying, it was more about the economics of the game and teams taking care of business than it was about anyone decoding our draft strategy.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Boulderraven;451254]
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I posted last night that a guy on radio said the brass wasn't
    as excited this year as they were last year over Jimmy and Torrey.

Here's a link from the Ravens own site saying the same thing. It
    quotes DeCosta saying last year we hit a home run. This year
    the mood is different.

The article goes on to say the players they really wanted in each
    round was taken. It looks like they rated Hightower the highest and it
    looked like we were gonna get him but didn't. It was like
    the Joe Staley draft when Mike NOlan jumped in front to get him
    and we haven't settled the LT position yet.

The Ravens presser was like a morgue that year and not filled
    with excitement yesterday. So you can't fault the fans for
    not
    being excited either. Like I posted Sat, all the guys I hung out
    with Frid night were upset.

Ozzie didn't even want Upshaw on the first round and could
    have had. Then
    he trades out and said there were several players we liked but we wanted more
    picks. We will get 1 of those players we passed on in the first, so Upshaw might
    not have been one of them.
    The poster who said teams are catching up with Ravens is on
    to something cause Ozzie says the same thing in this article.
    He says teams now know what it takes to win as their targeted
    player kept going off the board in each round. That's why Decosta said
    the mood is different this year - with him and many of the fans.

Finally, DeCosta says we had to manufacture our own runs

We're just gonna have to wait 2 yrs to see how Upshaw and
    the guard and Center pans out but Ravens brass were not
    excited at their presser like last year.

BTW, Piss is getting high grades for their draft while Ozzie goes to a B+
    mainly for the Center from Delaware but as pointed out, Piss and NE had
    him rated as a top Center in the draft and Piss wanted the RB from Temple
    and had him in for a visit
    Just my humble freaking opinion.

the game

This year, DeCosta and General Manager Ozzie Newsome – the team’s two draft leaders – were in a different mood.

So are many of the fans.

Last year they where stoked cause they got Jimmy Smith a top 10 talent at CB/maybe the most important position in the modern NFL next to QB. Smith fell cause of
    Underage drinking at CU, what a joke. He if not for that is not a Raven. He was opening day starter on a team with veteran corners. JS will be the best CB in Raven history likely
    When he is done. We didn't add anyone of that caliber in this draft. That's why they where stoked. Even Claiborne or Gilmore don't have his raw talent.

Boulder Raven - Exactly right about being stoked last year and Jimmy Smith but
    you left off Torrey Smith who immediately impacted beyond most of our wildest dreams and he only gets better.

The Sun listed the top steals of the draft in today's paper and listed Upshaw as one of them because of where he got them. They also listed RG3 even after giving up all those #1s because he makes them matter again and just about everyone gives Piss an A+.

Upshaw has a lot of upside and as I posted above he fell because of his weight
    and length of his arms. I was impressed with his attitude at the presser. Ravens are getting grades from B- to B+ around the country but the Bs come from
    everyone after their 2d pick including Gradkowski and Pierce. Seems most of those so called experts never heard of either one. Grad will replace Birke in
    time and can play guard this year so I'm stoked about him.

I've heard others say Upshaw is better than Hightower which is what I read
    until the combines and his workout after he gained weight and reported
    with heavy feet running a 4.75.

But like he said, he won the national championship in college and knows how
    to win and was coached by one of the best coaches in the country and now
    comes here.

Just hit the weight room baby!
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-30-2012 at 05:09 PM.