Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Blog Entries

Re: How did we do?

Yes, that's what I said. Ozzie didn't even want him in the first round. He didn't take him.
    What's so hard to understand about that?

Upshaw was there in the first and Oz passed on him to trade down and get him
    cheaper and pick up an extra pick. They stood the chance to lose him in the second round but didn't.

Ozzie's exact words were: One of the players we liked should be there in
    round two. They lucked out with Upshaw.

They were still un-excited like last year when they got Jimmy and Torrey.
    I just watched their presser. The link said the mood was different.

A guy on the radio said that and the link said that. What's so hard to understand
    about that?
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-30-2012 at 12:07 AM.

[QUOTE=AirFlacco;451223]I posted last night that a guy on radio said the brass wasn't
    as excited this year as they were last year over Jimmy and Torrey.

Here's a link from the Ravens own site saying the same thing. It
    quotes DeCosta saying last year we hit a home run. This year
    the mood is different.

The article goes on to say the players they really wanted in each
    round was taken. It looks like they rated Hightower the highest and it
    looked like we were gonna get him but didn't. It was like
    the Joe Staley draft when Mike NOlan jumped in front to get him
    and we haven't settled the LT position yet.

The Ravens presser was like a morgue that year and not filled
    with excitement yesterday. So you can't fault the fans for
    not
    being excited either. Like I posted Sat, all the guys I hung out
    with Frid night were upset.

Ozzie didn't even want Upshaw on the first round and could
    have had. Then
    he trades out and said there were several players we liked but we wanted more
    picks. We will get 1 of those players we passed on in the first, so Upshaw might
    not have been one of them.
    The poster who said teams are catching up with Ravens is on
    to something cause Ozzie says the same thing in this article.
    He says teams now know what it takes to win as their targeted
    player kept going off the board in each round. That's why Decosta said
    the mood is different this year - with him and many of the fans.

Finally, DeCosta says we had to manufacture our own runs

We're just gonna have to wait 2 yrs to see how Upshaw and
    the guard and Center pans out but Ravens brass were not
    excited at their presser like last year.

BTW, Piss is getting high grades for their draft while Ozzie goes to a B+
    mainly for the Center from Delaware but as pointed out, Piss and NE had
    him rated as a top Center in the draft and Piss wanted the RB from Temple
    and had him in for a visit
    Just my humble freaking opinion.

the game

This year, DeCosta and General Manager Ozzie Newsome – the team’s two draft leaders – were in a different mood.

So are many of the fans.

Last year they where stoked cause they got Jimmy Smith a top 10 talent at CB/maybe the most important position in the modern NFL next to QB. Smith fell cause of
    Underage drinking at CU, what a joke. He if not for that is not a Raven. He was opening day starter on a team with veteran corners. JS will be the best CB in Raven history likely
    When he is done. We didn't add anyone of that caliber in this draft. That's why they where stoked. Even Claiborne or Gilmore don't have his raw talent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    I just want to clarify my opinion and statement that the Ravens panicked and reached for 2 picks. From multiple reports (I know its a bad term here) the Ravens had 3 main targets and they believed one would fall to them and that is the guard from Wisconsin, the guard from Stanford, and ILB from Alabama. I 'm not saying they didn't have a back up plan in case the guys were gone, what I am saying is they changed their philosophy or got creative as Decosta said
    First, the report from the Ravens said they had nine guys they were looking at w their first round pick.

The idea that they had three guys in mind, and only three guys, and when they were gone they shit their pants, is patently stupid.

So because the two guards they wanted were gone, and the ILB, they then proceeded to reach for a RB and a C? What kind of sense does that make?

None.

My point when it comes to small school players is you have to take into consideration their competition when you are scouting, analyzing and evaluating their skill set and talent. Seeing a player get push against lesser competition or seeing a RB run over less competition can cause them to shoot up your board.
    No shit. That's brilliant. I bet Oz and Decosta never even considered that. You write up a study about that: Competition isn't as good at D-II as it is in the SEC. Nobody's ever thought of that before.

The Ravens have a terrible track record of over-drafting small school guys. Webb, Flacco, Scott. They just continue to bomb these picks year after year. They need your insight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    More Decosta. This article paints the picture of tone and mood of the war room.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...0%98wiped-out/

The other GM'S have up'd their game. Seems the brass was caught off guard and stunned.
    Did you read the article? Jesus, man.

The Ravens concede that alot of the guys they targeted were picked, which they didn't really expect. They have no control over that.

But to say they were caught off guard and stunned is wrong. DeCosta said they were "the best organized they ever been for different scenarios." That's pretty unambiguous. Did you read that? Or did you not make it that far? It was at the bottom of the article.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    No one's talking about the past. Those teams have built good teams into the future and they take risks that seem to work out well.
    Oh, so to evaluate who drafts better we shouldn't evaluate the past? We should evaluate the hypothetical future seasons and drafts that are available?

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    I like the way Hensley put it:

Maybe folks are worried because there aren't any splash players that we drafted but the team quietly address all they're needs despite having to do some maneuvering after key targets were snatched up.
    And out of those 50 or so splash players, how many are actually going to pan out to become real assets to the teams that drafted them? We put way to much stock into hoopla that the sports media creates to sell magazines and boost viewer ratings. We Graded a solid B in this draft and the more I read about the players that we drafted the happier I become with the choices that were made.

[QUOTE=Boulderraven;451254]
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I posted last night that a guy on radio said the brass wasn't
    as excited this year as they were last year over Jimmy and Torrey.

Here's a link from the Ravens own site saying the same thing. It
    quotes DeCosta saying last year we hit a home run. This year
    the mood is different.

The article goes on to say the players they really wanted in each
    round was taken. It looks like they rated Hightower the highest and it
    looked like we were gonna get him but didn't. It was like
    the Joe Staley draft when Mike NOlan jumped in front to get him
    and we haven't settled the LT position yet.

The Ravens presser was like a morgue that year and not filled
    with excitement yesterday. So you can't fault the fans for
    not
    being excited either. Like I posted Sat, all the guys I hung out
    with Frid night were upset.

Ozzie didn't even want Upshaw on the first round and could
    have had. Then
    he trades out and said there were several players we liked but we wanted more
    picks. We will get 1 of those players we passed on in the first, so Upshaw might
    not have been one of them.
    The poster who said teams are catching up with Ravens is on
    to something cause Ozzie says the same thing in this article.
    He says teams now know what it takes to win as their targeted
    player kept going off the board in each round. That's why Decosta said
    the mood is different this year - with him and many of the fans.

Finally, DeCosta says we had to manufacture our own runs

We're just gonna have to wait 2 yrs to see how Upshaw and
    the guard and Center pans out but Ravens brass were not
    excited at their presser like last year.

BTW, Piss is getting high grades for their draft while Ozzie goes to a B+
    mainly for the Center from Delaware but as pointed out, Piss and NE had
    him rated as a top Center in the draft and Piss wanted the RB from Temple
    and had him in for a visit
    Just my humble freaking opinion.

the game

This year, DeCosta and General Manager Ozzie Newsome – the team’s two draft leaders – were in a different mood.

So are many of the fans.

Last year they where stoked cause they got Jimmy Smith a top 10 talent at CB/maybe the most important position in the modern NFL next to QB. Smith fell cause of
    Underage drinking at CU, what a joke. He if not for that is not a Raven. He was opening day starter on a team with veteran corners. JS will be the best CB in Raven history likely
    When he is done. We didn't add anyone of that caliber in this draft. That's why they where stoked. Even Claiborne or Gilmore don't have his raw talent.
    BR, you have to admit that a lot of what happened in this years draft can be attributed to where we were picking from and who was picking in front of us. The Steelers had identical needs to ours and they were always 5 to 7 spots ahead, they were basically sitting where we normally would be. Cincinnati and New England had similar needs as well, the Bungles picking before us and the Pats trading up by virtue of all of the draft picks that they collect every year like so many trinkets.

IMO, the outcome of this years draft has more to do with simple economics than it does with other teams catching up to us and decoding our draft strategy. Maybe it's the price of success that we are witnessing?

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    According to your link:

I dunno, but that doesn't sound like panic to me.

The thing about the rankings by scouts and websites is that the Ravens do not subscribe to the scouting service most the rest of the league does. They use their own scouts and create their own rankings. I am sure they made adjustments on the fly when a player they coveted was selected earlier in a round, but that is not the same as panicking, and it isn't the same as reaching.
    This right here!!

The Ravens brought in some players that should help. After listening to the interviews and watching the videos I like the general theme of this years draft which to me was to bring in not only talent but players that are team oriented and leaders.

I would have liked the Ravens to bring in a stronger draft class but sometimes the cards don't fall your way. All I can ask as a fan is the front office be prepared and by all accounts they were. I give them a solid B, but truth is no matter what any grade they get from anyone only time will tell what kind of draft this was.

Blog Entries

Can I ask a favor of the board? I've read several times here that it was reported that Gradowski was the #1 center on the Steelers, Pats, and Ravens board. Can I ask where that rumor originated? Where was it reported? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Can I ask a favor of the board? I've read several times here that it was reported that Gradowski was the #1 center on the Steelers, Pats, and Ravens board. Can I ask where that rumor originated? Where was it reported? Thanks in advance.
    I think Jason LaCanforna tweeted that multiple teams had Gradkowski rated very high.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Jason LaCanforna tweeted that multiple teams had Gradkowski rated very high.
    Appreciate it. Hate to ask, but did he specifically say that the Ravens, Pats, and Steelers had Gradowski #1?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Appreciate it. Hate to ask, but did he specifically say that the Ravens, Pats, and Steelers had Gradowski #1?
    No, but (IMO) it would appear that (judging from the number of teams that took an interior OL'man in the 4th or early 5th) that teams like Houston [took Ben Jones directly after], Denver [took Phillip Blake 9 picks later], and possibly San Francisco [took Joe Looney 18 picks later] could have all had Gradkowski rated pretty well.

I can't remember correctly if he or someone else insinuated that teams like Pittsburgh, New England, etc had Gradkowski rated pretty well.

Considering there was a bit of a run on interior OL'men between the mid4th through the 5th round [including 5 in the 5th round and 3 back-to-back selections of guard prospects] it was a good time for the Ravens to get who they wanted.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.