Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Re: How did we do?

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I think we draft significantly better than the Texans and our comparative records prove that. How many Hall of Famers can the Texans put on their draft success board? Andre Johnson potentially. Mario Williams is good but his numbers are pretty much the same as Peter Boulware's and we don't hang our hats on how awesome we were to draft him do we? Foster and Rice are comparable. Beyond that? Comparing us to the Texans is laughable.

Giants? Eli is making a case for Hall of Fame consideration, other than that who have they drafted in the last 16 years who is getting to the Hall? They're a very well coached team, and Eli is super clutch which is why they have 2 rings. But in terms of drafting, I don't think they've had the kind of historic success that Ozzie Newsome has.

Packers? Who on their roster is getting to the Hall? Darren Sharper was a great player for them and he has a shot. Finding Donald Driver in the 7th round is worth a tip of the hat. But frankly I don't think they're better at drafting than we are. I think Rodgers makes his receivers look great, but they win in spite of their defense, and their offensive line is crap. They've blown two high picks in a row on tackles and neither one could beat out Marshall Newhouse for the starting LT job.
    No one's talking about the past. Those teams have built good teams into the future and they take risks that seem to work out well.

In what universe does "adjust and make decisions on the fly" equal "panicked and reached"?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    No one's talking about the past. Those teams have built good teams into the future and they take risks that seem to work out well.
    Oh stupid me. I should have known you were talking about how you KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN in the future, whereas I was living in reality and basing my expectations for the future on the way things have worked out in the past. How stupid of me.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    Dude you stuck on this Brewster argument. I didn't even bring up Brewster as a reference. Wicked did. When can argue about undrafted Fa's another day. But my point is highlighted by Ozzie and Decosta themselves. They saw the flow of the draft and confirmed they had to QUICKLY ADJUST ON THE FLY. If that don't tell you that they figured they had to start reaching I don't know what will.

If you read the article, you can see why many wasn't on their board. They were so used to having so many still there late in the day... there board was limited. They underestimated the league. They know better now and admitted they got to adjust going forward.

It's ABSURD that folks here who BLINDLY follow/trust Ozzie and co. are more excited about the draft then Ozzie and co. LOL
    When you bring up that there are similar rated players in later rounds, rather than just throwing up an argument without any facts to support it, maybe some would take it more reasonably if you gave some examples. All I read is (paraphrasing) "we panicked and drafted guys that could have been had later or another player with a similar skillset". The fact here is that you are making some very big assumptions based on where guys like Mel Kiper have guys rated. Like I said before, all it takes is one team.

As for the adjustments comment, I fail to see the association with panicking and reaching. I don't know about you, but at my job when I have to make adjustments on the fly, I'm not in a panicking mode or making rash decisions...the 2 are not tied to the hip.

And nobody is perfect, not Ozzie, not the guy in New England not Jerry Reese, and not the guys up I70. But when you have the track record that they have, yes, most tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. Nobody knows what these players will wind up being for another couple years anyway so to act like you know they made mistakes is wrong...just as wrong as someone proclaiming all the picks to be hits.

FWIW...I remember 2 of the most "boring" drafts being the 2001 and 2002 drafts...and they both wound up being good drafts. 2002 in particular was a first round where every single one of their top players were gone as well...and they had to draft the 24th player on their board. We all know who that player wound up being.

In what universe does "adjust and make decisions on the fly" equal "panicked and reached"?
    lol...I have no idea...

Lol. Some will arguing with Ozzie about what he is thinking.

Not too many jobs where the clock is ticking, what someone hundreds miles away is doing has an effect on your every decision and you don't know what they are going to do or when they are going to do it. Lol. But if like your team built on the fly...so be it.

You guys can go ahead enjoy convincing yourselves everything went according to plan. Me, Ozzie and Eric will deal with reality. Later fellas....Go Ravens!!

Blog Entries

The question isn't whether or not other teams in the division improved with this draft. The question is whether or not they improved enough to take down the Ravens.

Did Cleveland really do enough to take down Baltimore?

Dre Kirkpatrick was a good pick by the Bengals and his versatility could help against Torrey Smith. However, it was Ray Rice who beat them the second time. Did they do enough to stop him?

Pittsburgh's pick of David DeCastro was great. However, Mike Adams might not even start this year and if he does, he will still need a lot of work on his technique. Did Pittsburgh make any moves to get more pressure on Flacco or cover Torrey?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

You have claimed Ozzie panicked. Support that with any sort of evidence and people might take you seriously.

Courtney was projected to go mid first. Osemele was projected to go between 40 and 60. We got him at 60. Pierce was projected to go between 2 and 4, we got him in the back third of the third.

Not seeing a lot of panic. I'm seeing 3 needs, three picks, all at or after where they were expected to go.

This is the same every year. A fans favorite prospects do not get selected for one reason or another and they panic. They all of a sudden know better than Ozzie. They would have done so much better and this team would be superbowl bound with 8 rookie draft picks. These kids are called "PROSPECTS" for a reason. No one knows for sure how these kids will react in the new enviroment of the NFL. There are people that are very good at evaluating these " PROSPECTS " and at the top of the list is the Baltimore Ravens ! Sure, we could be like some teams that are consistantly high on the draft boards and get big name splashers like they do. But I would much rather be crafty and working at the bottom of the draft board with sound quality pics that can contribute to the team. Being at the bottom of the draft board has one real big advantage. You as a fan got to see your team have a winning season and make it into the playoffs and have a shot at the superbowl. I would not trade or change how our front office does things for any team in the NFL. As far as the remarks made by Oz and DeCosta, I think they were reffering to how the draft went. And to be honest I do not think this draft class was overflowing with talent like some in the past. I think there was limited talent to pull from and that is why you saw them have to go into their top 150 instead of their top 100. Sure it was a bit different for them to be in that situation, but dont think for one second that they were not prepared for it. And dont think that they handled it irrationally.

Please, Please come back to this thread after this season. Then please explain to us how they " panicked and reached "

He's finally calling it quits over this silly nonsense? I thought he'd make it at least to the bye week.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The question isn't whether or not other teams in the division improved with this draft. The question is whether or not they improved enough to take down the Ravens.

Did Cleveland really do enough to take down Baltimore?

Dre Kirkpatrick was a good pick by the Bengals and his versatility could help against Torrey Smith. However, it was Ray Rice who beat them the second time. Did they do enough to stop him?

Pittsburgh's pick of David DeCastro was great. However, Mike Adams might not even start this year and if he does, he will still need a lot of work on his technique. Did Pittsburgh make any moves to get more pressure on Flacco or cover Torrey?
    Good post. And I will add that Pierce could be the X factor here, as crazy as that may sound to some people. We are going to continue to run the ball, and everyone knows Rice is going to be our most dangerous threat, but I think Pierce has the skill set to feature a lot more than what McGahee or Williams did, even in his rookie season. The Bengals are going to try their hardest to stop Rice, but I think we are going to get creative and bring Pierce on a lot.

I think this is a case of "i liked x y z, x y z wasnt drafted by us, so i dont like this draft." I'll admit i had my heart set on some players, and really wasnt happy when they didnt get them, i was miffed at a few picks, as well, but i cant criticise them because i havent seen every single prospect to judge them all to form a big board, i havent seen all the tape, i dont know the full history on players, in fact i dont know the full ins and outs of what it takes to make it as an NFL player, so while im pissed we didnt get a few guys i loved, i cant say they done a bad job because they have more info available to make the picks and feel theyve made the best picks available to them at the time.

Cool Re: How did we do?

You have claimed Ozzie panicked. Support that with any sort of evidence and people might take you seriously.

Courtney was projected to go mid first. Osemele was projected to go between 40 and 60. We got him at 60. Pierce was projected to go between 2 and 4, we got him in the back third of the third.

Not seeing a lot of panic. I'm seeing 3 needs, three picks, all at or after where they were expected to go.
    Actually they were 3 great picks and I like, although at first I was scratching my head a bit, most of the other picks. The only problem I had with their picks was actually between picks 6 and 7. I thought they should have tried to trade up in round 6 by giving up their 7th round pick and drafted McNutt [who was picked around 4 to 5 spots before Skeeter (spell?)]. I do not know if a 7th rounder could have moved them up enough to pass the Eagles (and yes I know, how could they have known that the Eagles would take McNutt...this is just speculation) but I sure would have preferred him and then look for some defensive line help among undrafted players rather than using their 7th on a lineman.

Anybody know how far trading a 7th rounder would have possibly moved them up in round 6th?