Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Blog Entries

Re: How did we do?

They can't modify their approach, if they don't have the picks to make the moves. New England has been stockpiling picks for years. They had the picks to make the moves.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Excell-
    I'd add that they also can't modify their approach if they don't have the CAP space, either! Trading up into the first round, for example, to get the player du jour has to be considered in light of how much the team has to spend, the new CBA, etc.

Blog Entries

For example, they were well aware of New England's desire to move up and take Hightower. They also knew what it would take to do that. However, at the time, they only had one fourth round pick and it was a compensatory pick. They couldn't trade it. So, even if they wanted to, it would have taken a third. A fifth and a sixth wouldn't have done it. That's why DeCosta said that it would have been too expensive.

Trading picks in next year's draft would have left them vulnerable to the same situation next year.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

I don't understand how this is a bad draft. I think some people are sour because we didnt get what they wanted. Personally i love this draft despite their weakness. Upshaw gonna beast with the opposite side of Suggs. KO i believe will be a better Grubbs. Pierce (at first i didnt understand same with the Jackson pick) but he's a young Rice/Foster put together combo runner and can use on short down and goal line situations which is a plus. The Thompson pick, Safety depth we needed and learned from Ed. Jackson for special team and can grow like Webb did. As for Streeter i love this pick. Cam gonna make sure he's out there. No way we going to let him in the practice squad or sitting on the bench. I believe he will contribue like Torrey did last year. So overall very good draft

Blog Entries

They obviously liked Hightower, but obviously not enough to trade up and make sure he was theirs.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    For example, they were well aware of New England's desire to move up and take Hightower. They also knew what it would take to do that. However, at the time, they only had one fourth round pick and it was a compensatory pick. They couldn't trade it. So, even if they wanted to, it would have taken a third. A fifth and a sixth wouldn't have done it. That's why DeCosta said that it would have been too expensive.

Trading picks in next year's draft would have left them vulnerable to the same situation next year.
    True but if other teams, no longer restricted by the old CBA, are more aggressive in their strategy then it stands to reason that the old way of doing things will no longer be as effective, especially if the Ravens are drafting near the bottom of the round as they have been doing for the past five seasons.

Its one draft and it didnt happen to be too strong of one. I dont think they need to change anything in their strategy just yet.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Its one draft and it didnt happen to be too strong of one. I dont think they need to change anything in their strategy just yet.
    I think this is the bottom line and some people are just absolutely loath to accept that the Ravens are ever less than 100%. I just don't think the Ravens had an A+ draft. Ozzie and Eric admitted as much in the presser. Read between the lines as much or as little as you want, but the facts remain that they admitted that a lot of the players they coveted were not available to them to pick so they had to pursue plans B and C in some situations. It doesn't mean it wasn't good, it just means that they couldn't get the ideal scenario and instead had to manufacture a good scenario. I think that corresponds exactly with what a lot of us are feeling.

Last year, they were able to get Jimmy Smith, a potential top 10 or 15 talent, very low. They got Pernell McPhee, who could have gone as high as the 3rd, in the 5th. They were able to get guys they feel really good about as depth in the 6th and 7th in Tyrod Taylor and Anthony Allen. They absolutely loved Jah Reid and were able to get him in the 3rd only needing to move up a few spots.

I just get the feeling this year that they didn't get those same kind of guys that they coveted. Reading between the lines a bit (so feel free to question this,) I feel like the guy they felt best about was Gradkowski, which is born out by the fact that they moved up for him. If other guys they really liked were within reasonable reach they'd have moved up for them too, but they just never had a chance at it. They obviously feel good about all their picks or they wouldn't have made them, you just get the palpable sense that a lot of the other teams in the league have closed the gap in scouting and player evaluation, so now it's a lot tighter race to get those guys that are really diamonds in the rough.

Having said all that, I think there's little doubt we've found a number of high-value potential contributors in this draft. I just feel like there are a lot of potential starters IF they develop properly. Upshaw is a 10 year guy at SAM backer who will enhance the pass rush and provide consistency. KO could be a great mauling guard. Bernard Pierce is a potential feature back who could give us something special. Christian Thompson will have every chance to be great being mentored by Ed Reed. Asa Jackson looks like a possible solution to the KR/PR problem. Tommy Streeter is probably the guy I feel is least likely to contribute but the sky's the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They obviously liked Hightower, but obviously not enough to trade up and make sure he was theirs.
    Yeah...they liked him but didn't want to give up what it would have took...a 3rd...to move up.

Time will tell on the wisdom of that move (or non move).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think this is the bottom line and some people are just absolutely loath to accept that the Ravens are ever less than 100%. I just don't think the Ravens had an A+ draft. Ozzie and Eric admitted as much in the presser. Read between the lines as much or as little as you want, but the facts remain that they admitted that a lot of the players they coveted were not available to them to pick so they had to pursue plans B and C in some situations. It doesn't mean it wasn't good, it just means that they couldn't get the ideal scenario and instead had to manufacture a good scenario. I think that corresponds exactly with what a lot of us are feeling.

Last year, they were able to get Jimmy Smith, a potential top 10 or 15 talent, very low. They got Pernell McPhee, who could have gone as high as the 3rd, in the 5th. They were able to get guys they feel really good about as depth in the 6th and 7th in Tyrod Taylor and Anthony Allen. They absolutely loved Jah Reid and were able to get him in the 3rd only needing to move up a few spots.

I just get the feeling this year that they didn't get those same kind of guys that they coveted. Reading between the lines a bit (so feel free to question this,) I feel like the guy they felt best about was Gradkowski, which is born out by the fact that they moved up for him. If other guys they really liked were within reasonable reach they'd have moved up for them too, but they just never had a chance at it. They obviously feel good about all their picks or they wouldn't have made them, you just get the palpable sense that a lot of the other teams in the league have closed the gap in scouting and player evaluation, so now it's a lot tighter race to get those guys that are really diamonds in the rough.

Having said all that, I think there's little doubt we've found a number of high-value potential contributors in this draft. I just feel like there are a lot of potential starters IF they develop properly. Upshaw is a 10 year guy at SAM backer who will enhance the pass rush and provide consistency. KO could be a great mauling guard. Bernard Pierce is a potential feature back who could give us something special. Christian Thompson will have every chance to be great being mentored by Ed Reed. Asa Jackson looks like a possible solution to the KR/PR problem. Tommy Streeter is probably the guy I feel is least likely to contribute but the sky's the limit.
    IIRC, they didn't move up for Gradkowski. They moved up for Bernard Pierce.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

I agree with this. We moved up for pierce not Gradkowski but many were high on him as being one of the best C in the draft so i can assume they felt good about it anyway. I think 3 years from now well be talking about this as a great draft due to arguably our top 5 picks being starters by then and possibly 6 if streeter develops. We may not see all that it holds right away and i may not be as good as some others look, but it may be just what we needed down the road.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by D-RavedUp5-27-52-20 View Post
    I don't understand how this is a bad draft. I think some people are sour because we didnt get what they wanted.
    Bingo. Most of the picks weren't guys who were slobbered over for the past two months, so they must suck. If I had a buck for every "I really want <insert random name here>" post, I could build a space elevator.

I don't think there is any question that the team...and fans aren't excited about last years picks. The board fell perfectly...we were desperate for a CB...we drafted a guy many considered a top 10-15 talent at 27 (really should have been 26), and another guy int he second round that some people were putting in the late 1st/early 2nd area at the end of the round. Really...it's what happened to Pittsburgh this year.

It's the difference of drafting 3-5 slots earlier than what we did this weekend. Look at it like this...if it were us that lost in the wild card weekend, we would have had the pick of Decastro and Hightower in round one and a great shot at Konz in round 2 (one pick earlier than the Steelers) and maybe not have felt a need to trade up to get Pierce (2 picks ahead of the Steelers.

It's just the way it happens sometimes when you are drafting so low in every round.

So no, looking back, it's not the greatest on paper and it doesn't compare to last year in particular. But they did get some players that can contribute and maybe we get some diamonds out of the day 3 picks.

And it does not mean that they panicked or reached for players though.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    IIRC, they didn't move up for Gradkowski. They moved up for Bernard Pierce.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I agree with this. We moved up for pierce not Gradkowski but many were high on him as being the best C in the draft so i can assume they felt good about it anyway. I think 3 years from now well be talking about this as a great draft due to arguably our top 5 picks being starters by then and possibly 6 if streeter develops. We may not see all that it holds right away and i may not be as good as some others look, but it may be just what we needed down the road.
    Yeah, you guys are right, they moved up for Pierce and not Gradkowski. My mistake. Maybe it says something that they took Gradkowski earlier than a lot of boards had him ranked, and maybe the fact that they moved up for Pierce says something, too.

Also, you have to include our UDFA haul in the evaluation of the draft, too. I'm super stoked about Bobby Rainey and Nick Jean-Baptiste. I think both of them have the ability to be real contributors. If Ray Rice leaves next year I feel great about a depth chart of Pierce/Allen/Rainey. I really hope those two make the team.

Blog Entries

I think the two guys they really had their eyes on in this entire draft was Pierce and Gradkowski.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger