Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Re: How did we do?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm not criticizing your opinion, or your right to have an opinion. I'm criticizing your logic.
    So let's call that "nouveau classic".
    you say tomato...I say tomato. I say it makes sense that if a player is most likely to be around by the 6th round, you don't reach and get him in the 4th. That could be logic or opinion.

scouts that arent employed by any nfl teams......
    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    I guess only when you agree with them.

But I was speaking of scouts. That the media relies on btw.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

FWIW, I think those who ask for a couple years before we deem a draft (or specific picks) as solid, or bust, or failure, or whatever, have it right.

I think back to a few years ago when one of the big discussions was about why Ozzie and the Ravens couldn't draft a #1 WR if they had 10 years of foresight somehow magically instilled. It seems the view has changed (at least from this thread) that there are an awful lot of "can't miss" guys at that position. I understand the need to have some players who can catch the ball and vie for starting roles, but I'm not sure I'm convinced that the folks who the Ravens DID draft won't be contributing more value than one of the WR's who got passed over this time. I really don't want to live through another x number of years waiting for Travis Taylor to find consistency, or Johnson to find some eyeglasses, or Moore to find a set, or....

The other thing is, who can say that a given draftee who the Ravens did not pick would be a productive fit into the team's situation? There have been guys that the Ravens took in "later" rounds -- Adalius comes to mind -- who many didn't know from Adam during the draft but played very well for the team, then were released because of business reasons (i.e., $$$)

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Yea I mean look at the last couple of drafts we had. LaDarius Webb and Pernell Mcphee what bums. We def. should have picked those other guys available.......
    I cant believe we passed on DJ Moore for some bum from Nicholls State!!!!!! /everyoneatthesunboardin2009

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonraven View Post
    loving the revisionist history and the draft isn't even over for a full day.

Haters gonna hate i suppose, even if it means twisting the facts to suit their narrative.
    sour grapes!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Ok I get it. On this board.....

Media and scouts aren't shit.....unless they agree with your narrative.

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

1. Brewster got plenty of push against much better competition. Scouts have questioned Gradkowski's size and strength as well.....

Strengths: Smart, assignment sound blocker with good awareness, keeping his head on a swivel. Professional makeup and coachable with the desire to be the best and doesn't cheat his ability. Tough and gritty, playing with a chip on his shoulder. Versatile with playing experience at all three interior line spots. Heady with high football IQ and very good bloodlines. Prides himself on fundamentals and plays to his strengths, understanding what he's best at and where he needs to improve. Tough-minded with natural leadership qualities. Works hard to hone his craft and plays with a competitive drive and blue collar mentality. Weaknesses: Only average size and length. Lacks overpowering strength to dominate defenders on brute power alone. Has stiff hips and lacks
    the fluidity or ankle flexion to quickly redirect his momentum. Not a natural knee bender and needs to be more consistent dropping his hips and anchoring at the point of attack. Tends to get grabby and rely on his upper body strength when beat, latching on and stopping his feet. Played at a lower level of competition and didn't face top defensive linemen week-in and week-out.

Again it's more of when then who.

2. When it comes to the WR'S conditions and needs justify/explain why other teams passed on certain players. Not a good barometer.
    You are making an assumption based off of the media. Most of whom are just following the opinions of 3 or 4 media persons who don't do much real studying. There were 3 other centers taken in the last 4 rounds...and quite a few teams that could have used a center that didn't draft one. Yet we are supposed to go with the media's rankings and opinions that this guy was the 2nd or 3rd best center when 32 teams that have access that no media person has didn't bother using even a 7th round draft pick on? I'm sorry, when you are clean off the field and not drafted, that is a huge red flag. Doesn't mean that he can't, but to act like he is a better option at all is pretty ridiculous IMHO after watching how this draft played out.

As for WR...in this time of the passing game being king, there is no way that if teams were that confident that those WR's would be big contributers...at least this year...they wouldn't have drafted them earlier. Teams like Miami, Cleveland and Tampa arguably didn't have a single legit starting WR, yet none took a WR before the 4th (and he is really only a return man) and no others until the 6th. They had GLARING needs and none thought enough of these guys to draft them earlier. Many others only really have one legit WR and passed...Carolina, Buffalo, Houston, Indianapolis, Minnesota...some of whom took guys that the MEDIA had rated way below that group of guys that so many here wanted. There certainly were needs for WR's all over the league and many, many teams that needed WR's passed multiple times on those guys.

If we drafted Marvin Jones or McNutt with that 4th round pick, most here would have been happy, some calling it a steal. In reality, both of those guys would have been big reaches as they were both drafted a round or 2 later than that pick.

Blog Entries

I loved the draft. Upshaw is going to be a stud. He'll probably end up starting at SAM lb. Osemele will compete for LG, and he has a real possibility of starting. Pierce is a big rb with 4.4 speed and excellent vision. Will be a nice complement to Rice. Gradkowski will be our future starting center probably next season after Birk retires. Thompson will be special teams and safety depth. I see Jackson as having a chance to be a returner. He's very good in space. I'm really excited about Streeter. He's very raw, but he has the size and speed. I can see him being a big target in the redzone. His nickname is touchdown tommy for crying out loud. Tyson will be depth on the d-line if he makes the team.

I guess only when you agree with them.

But I was speaking of scouts. That the media relies on btw.
    If you think teams and scouts are giving the media the truth, you are sadly mistaken. Hell the media routinely acknowledges that they are lied to all the time in regards to the draft.

And you have no idea what the scouts think of particular players. Unless they are publishing their scouting reports or you are friends with 98% of the leagues scouts, that argument is invalid.

Blog Entries

Ok I get it. On this board.....

Media and scouts aren't shit.....unless they agree with your narrative.
    Apparently at least one media person disagrees with you.

Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanforaReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

Baltimore's QB, Joe Flacco, also from Delaware. Gradkowski had 3rd round grades from smart teams.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Basically