Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Blog Entries

Re: How did we do?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I disagree with that. They make splashes in the draft all the time. This is the first year in a long time where the Ravens didn't have a pick that most of the fanbase was excited about and proclaiming as the next pro bowl player.
    Just judging by the polls leading up to the draft, ALOT of people werehigh on Upshaw but thinking there was no way he would be available. Him and Gradkowski, and to a lesser extent Streeter are my Fav picks and projected to make the biggest impact,IMO. Streeter being the wildcard, is he Clarence Moore Pt 2, or a serviceable #2? Noone was talking about the G we picked up, don't think his name was even ever mentioned on here but looking at it now he's a solid starter at LG and it shouldn't even be much competition,lol.

The Ravens front office obviously went into this draft thinking it was fantasy football, and after spending a few hours on the internet checking out a few sites and reading a few expert opinions, made their board. Then, once the draft began, it all began to unravel and they just started grabbing guys they had heard the name of once or twice, or that an office secretary's husband had mentioned.

Yeah, that's exactly how they operate.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Panicked? Come on, man. This crew has been together for how many years? They don't panic.
    In fact, either Ozzie or Eric (maybe both) said last night that this was the most organized that they've ever been for a draft.

Once the draft gets moving it's a rolling game of scenario analysis (done mostly before the clock starts on Thursday) married with risk management (real-time, all weekend). Any given FO has terabytes of more information than 99% of us. Our FO's information is even more "customized" than most other FO's b/c we believe in 1st person evaluations over independent analysis from Scouts, Inc and others.

Critiquing the players is one thing, but critiquing our draft process?
    I mean, unless you had a seat in the war room, you're just barking in the back yard.
    Using opinions to criticize another for having an opinion. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Higher rated by who's standard?
    By over 98% of folks who are paid to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I disagree with that. They make splashes in the draft all the time. This is the first year in a long time where the Ravens didn't have a pick that most of the fanbase was excited about and proclaiming as the next pro bowl player.
    We do? Who?

Splash = trading up to take the "next Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Darrelle Revis, Julius Peppers, Ray Lewis," type of player.
    Splash =/= JSmith, TSmith, Oher, Grubbs, Ngata and trading back in 2010. Flacco was a bold move, but not a splash. The trade that we tried to get ATL to bite on in order to take Matt Ryan would have been a splash.

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    1. I never referred to the Safety in my post. The RB and G/C pick specifically are the panic picks. More so when than who.

2. When the players targeted ( 2 guards and ILB) were taken ( 2 by division opponents) they feared more targets would be taken and they reached to get them. IE they panicked
    So once Hightower got passed Pitt, if the Ravens traded up to get him, would it have been a panic move...assuming like everyone else that the Pats not only weren't going to trade up, but didn't need him? I'd argue that most thought he'd be there if he got pass the Steelers and there wouldn't have been a need to trade up.

As for Pierce...I think he was every bit worth the pick where he was taken and there were some who thought he'd have been a 2nd round pick. The guy is a beast.

I don't think C was a panic pick either. Just because certain posters had a hard on for these mid/late round WR's doesn't mean that they would be better pros than Gino may be. Frankly, I don't think any other than Childs out of that group people had a hard on for were are going to be anything special (Marvin Jones, McNutt, Criner, Toon and Cunningham) and apparently, most NFL teams think the same. The only WR's taken on day 3 that I would have liked were Childs (HUGE injury risk though), Adams (mostly to mainly be a return guy) and the guy we got, Streeter.

And with all the complaining about Birk not getting any push and not being strong enough, no way in hell I take Brewster who routinely didn't get much push and struggled in pass pro.

Using opinions to criticize another for having an opinion. Classic.

I'm not criticizing your opinion, or your right to have an opinion. I'm criticizing your logic.
    So let's call that "nouveau classic".

By over 98% of folks who are paid to do it.
    Oh...the media.

They are always right.

Love the Pierce pick. IMO he was after Trent Richardson and maybe Doug Martin in terms of pro potential. I know this can be viewed as an insane comparison but he reminds me of Arian Foster in style of running. He is a beast. Also love the Streeter pick in the 6th, he has great upside and I would rather take a flyer on him late than spending the Upshaw pick on a guy like Stephen Hill. We dont have the "A" grade from the talking heads since we dont have sexy names all over the place but this could turn out to be the type of draft to set us up long term keeping that window open.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    So once Hightower got passed Pitt, if the Ravens traded up to get him, would it have been a panic move...assuming like everyone else that the Pats not only weren't going to trade up, but didn't need him? I'd argue that most thought he'd be there if he got pass the Steelers and there wouldn't have been a need to trade up.

As for Pierce...I think he was every bit worth the pick where he was taken and there were some who thought he'd have been a 2nd round pick. The guy is a beast.

I don't think C was a panic pick either. Just because certain posters had a hard on for these mid/late round WR's doesn't mean that they would be better pros than Gino may be. Frankly, I don't think any other than Childs out of that group people had a hard on for were are going to be anything special (Marvin Jones, McNutt, Criner, Toon and Cunningham) and apparently, most NFL teams think the same. The only WR's taken on day 3 that I would have liked were Childs (HUGE injury risk though), Adams (mostly to mainly be a return guy) and the guy we got, Streeter.

And with all the complaining about Birk not getting any push and not being strong enough, no way in hell I take Brewster who routinely didn't get much push and struggled in pass pro.
    1. Brewster got plenty of push against much better competition. Scouts have questioned Gradkowski's size and strength as well.....

Strengths: Smart, assignment sound blocker with good awareness, keeping his head on a swivel. Professional makeup and coachable with the desire to be the best and doesn't cheat his ability. Tough and gritty, playing with a chip on his shoulder. Versatile with playing experience at all three interior line spots. Heady with high football IQ and very good bloodlines. Prides himself on fundamentals and plays to his strengths, understanding what he's best at and where he needs to improve. Tough-minded with natural leadership qualities. Works hard to hone his craft and plays with a competitive drive and blue collar mentality. Weaknesses: Only average size and length. Lacks overpowering strength to dominate defenders on brute power alone. Has stiff hips and lacks
    the fluidity or ankle flexion to quickly redirect his momentum. Not a natural knee bender and needs to be more consistent dropping his hips and anchoring at the point of attack. Tends to get grabby and rely on his upper body strength when beat, latching on and stopping his feet. Played at a lower level of competition and didn't face top defensive linemen week-in and week-out.

Again it's more of when then who.

2. When it comes to the WR'S conditions and needs justify/explain why other teams passed on certain players. Not a good barometer.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Oh...the media.

They are always right.
    I guess only when you agree with them.

But I was speaking of scouts. That the media relies on btw.

I guess only when you agree with them.

But I was speaking of scouts. That the media relies on btw.
    Again, I'm sure that the Ravens followed their board in making that pick in particular. So what you're actually surmising, then, is that Ozzie and company must have been coked up the day they rated centers for the board?