Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Re: How did we do?

Hard to give a grade. I went back after the first round was over and looked over the three mock drafts I had laying around. An average of 12 players projected to go in the first didn't. There are always obvious first rounders like Luck, Richardson, and Kalil. Given that, it's obvious we know absolutely nothing about what goes on in war-rooms. Even Mayock, who I consider the best draft "expert" got a lot of them wrong.

Hell there were players I wanted in the second (based solely on pre-draft rankings) that fell to FA status. Polk, the RB out of Washington was in discussion to be the second RB taken, but now he's a FA signing by the Eagles. We were supposed to nab Konz in the first but how far did he fall? Third round I think?

Taking this into account, I like this draft. Upshaw is a beast who upgrades our pass rush and replaces JJ as an edge setter. The guard will probably be a starter. Gino will likely be a starter next year. Streeter and that safety are developmental projects with high upside. Anybody think the Rapist or Patriots want to have Torrey Smith and Tommy Streeter on the field at the same time? Two tall receivers who've ran sub 4.4s? That CB we drafted is, hopefully, going to take over return duties so we don't have our best CB returning kicks.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Honestly, I was upset at the Upshaw pick with Konz still on the board. He almost fell to the Ravens again at the end of the second, but then Atlanta grabbed him. Why couldn't they just trade up? O-Line was their most important need and I think Konz would have filled that. Hopefully Osemele and Gino will turn out to be starters, but only time will tell.

My favorite pick has to be Pierce. With Rice holding out, it's nice to know we may have the next Arian Foster ready to take over. I'm also excited to see how Streeter performs. Torrey wasn't a great route runner either, but look how his season turned out.

I was most pleased with the Osemele pick. The guy is a mauler, we need a big physical guy in their for our run game. He was a T as well and has solid pass blocking. I dont know why people are doubting this pick. I thought it was the most logical pick.

You can make a case for Brandon Brooks, but coming from the competition he played it's really hard to judge him. I think Baltimore made the right choice nad we will see that when Osemele has a great rookie year as our starting LG (Calling it right here)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TurtlesNBirds View Post
    We filled important holes, but without any basis for saying so, I believe our AFC counterparts improved their teams, while we essentially maintained the status quo from last season. I would have felt a bit better by adding one of the higher rated WR's, because we desperately need another playmaker for Joe. I like Streeter (only 1 year of productive play in college), but think he's a season or two away from contributing. There will definitely be a ton to follow during training camp...
    I have to agree with this.
    1) Pittsburgh seems to have turned their biggest weakness into a strength on the o-line.
    2)Belichick out-Ozzied Ozzie by getting one of the players we coveted, and helped his defense significantly with quality players.
    3) I am shocked we did not get a higher rated receiver. Listening to Ozzie and Steve B. at the state of the Ravens address, I saw their combined frustration over the dropped playoff game passes the last few years. I took this as code "we will fix this". With their comments regarding their commitment to Joe, I felt sure they would get a highly ranked receiver such as Hill from GT.
    4) I do not see immediate impact players from this draft, although I must admit I am not as up to date on Iowa St tackles as I guess I could be.
    5)Upshaw dropping scares me . Too similar to the Kindle fiasco, although I think I heard Upshaw is a quality person.

I think Peter King hit the nail on the head " in his column after Rd 1.

2. I think the team that was plumb out of luck in round one was Baltimore. The Ravens, picking 29th, loved Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower, but the Patriots jumped them and chose Hightower 25th. One of their fallback players was guard Zeitler, who got picked 27th ... and what made that hurt even more is that Zeitler was drafted by division rival Cincinnati

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...1tPmn6I84Peter

It's certainly not a draft to get massively excited about (the Ravens FO didn't seem like they were doing backflips over it either, they admitted as much), but it wasn't a bad one. It was a nuts and bolts draft. Can never rate it until three years have past. Another thing is that the Ravens picked up some guys from small schools, so it'll be interesting to see how they adapt.

Some teams have had great drafts on paper, but in reality, not so amazing in the past.

You also got bear in mind who the teams lost. Pit are going through a mini rebuild, Texans and Bengals lost a lot of talent and the Patriots did reach a couple of times. Gotta take the offseason as a whole.

Blog Entries

I don't get how you can complain about this draft, we basically replaced all of our lost pieces in FA with solid college players.

Upshaw: Projected as a mid first round player, don't see how you complain about this one.

Osemele: Projected as a fringe late first/early second round guard. For anyone who doesn't know this guy, he is absolutely massive, and could be a mauler at guard in the NFL.

Bernard Pierce: Projected as a 3rd rounder One of my favourite players of the draft, was so happy when we got him, he is a very similar player to Arian Foster, trust me this guy is the real deal.

Gino Gradkowski: Ok nobody really knew this guy, but lots of team scouts actually believed this guy was better at C than Peter Konz.

Christian Thompson: A big physical safety that Reed has been mentoring. We needed depth at safety.

Asa Jackson: A very smart intelligent player has all the intangibles you want. Was a very solid depth/ST pick.

Tommy Streeter: A lot of people projected as a second rounder. Has all the size and speed to succeed.

DeAngelo Tyson: Don't know much about this guy, but it was a depth pick fore sure. We needed a back up NT behind Cody.

If anything I think we had a pretty solid draft, seems like some people here are complaining for the sake of it.

Blog Entries

Obviously we'll see down the road, but to me this is a business draft, not at all flashy, just getting done what needs to be done. I'm cool with that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimiValleyFan View Post
    Unfortunately, time will show this to have been the worst Ravens draft class in franchise history. Hate to say it, but my gut says this was a terrible draft as I look across the picks as a whole. Sorry.
    Maybe not history. From 2004 to 2007 there were some real stinkers in there to take the cake. 2004, only Dwan Edwards (who took forever to develop) is still in the NFL. I think every player from the 2005 draft class is either already out of the league or on their last leg in the league.

This was by far the worst one in the Harbaugh era though.

it seems that many on this board forget that for Oz & Co. it is all about BPA. Lots of comments here alluding to , "....we had greater needs at xyz position". May be true, but Oz has very seldom "drafted for need" a/o/t drafting BPA.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Blog Entries

Ask again in 3 years.

Blog Entries

I don't see how people can say this is the worst draft in the Harbaugh era, when we haven't seen any of these players take an NFL field yet.

Wow, some think it was a bust without any of the draft choices playing yet. I bet many thought the same thing when the patriots drafted some kid named Brady in the 6th round years ago. Time will tell, I 'll wait until the 2012 season is played to make a decision. Ravens have been successful drafting and making the right calls to get to the playoffs these last four years.