Achilles history lesson JU

In April of 1971 Johnny U had a full rupture of his Achilles playing raquetteball at the Y with Tom Matte. That season Unitas was the opening day starter in September and led the Colts to the AFC Championship game vs the Dolphins at AGE 38! Dont you think medicine, rehab has come a little further in 40 years? Relax, Suggs will be fine.

Re: Achilles history lesson JU

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    In April of 1971 Johnny U had a full rupture of his Achilles playing raquetteball at the Y with Tom Matte. That season Unitas was the opening day starter in September and led the Colts to the AFC Championship game vs the Dolphins at AGE 38! Dont you think medicine, rehab has come a little further in 40 years? Relax, Suggs will be fine.
    That's interesting. Dare I say athletes aren't as tough as they used to be? In that same era you are speaking of MLB pitchers didn't need as much rest as they seem to need now and the 100 pitch theory was non existent.

Sports science has certainly come a long way

Back then soccer players retired over injuries that can be resolved today

Quote Originally Posted by Tottenham Raven View Post
    That's interesting. Dare I say athletes aren't as tough as they used to be? In that same era you are speaking of MLB pitchers didn't need as much rest as they seem to need now and the 100 pitch theory was non existent.
    I agree. But, in baseball back then- the parks were much larger, players smaller and the strike zone larger. You could make a mistake back then in baseball and it goes to the warning track, now it's 3 ft over the fence. But Achilles are Achilles. Our muscles might be bigger but not our tendons.

Blog Entries

Thirty years later at 68 Unitas died of a heart attack while walking on
    a treadmill.

QBs don't have to run quite the same way as linebackers.

Also, a 38 year old might be more willing to roll the dice considering he wouldn't have as much of a career ahead of him to consider.

I like the enthusiasm though. I hope Suggs can play this year.
    If life hands you a lemon... throw it at somebody!!

I'd like to believe it, but 1971 NFL competition ain't quite what it is today. Half the league worked off-season jobs back then. Suggs will stick out like a sore thumb against the athletic level today if he comes back to early.

I say the bigger they are the harder they fall. Today's players are bigger, quicker and stronger so an injury of this magnetitude would require more rehab effort and recovery time. Players back then were not as big and were not asked to do much as today's players simply because the game itself has changed.