Page 1 of 27 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

How did we do?

Now that the draft is over for us, how does everyone feel that we've done? Did we cover all of the bases, did we fill our needs with good value and quality players, if so who are they and why? Most importantly though, have we improved as a team and bettered our chances of repeating another Super Bowl Run in 2112 and beyond?

Blog Entries

Re: How did we do?

I like but if you were to look into our war room, the fun is just starting.
    There are/will be phone calls, offers, negotiations going on like crazy with the free agent frenzy about to start. I am sure there is a want list prioritized and divided between leaders. work will continue probably for a couple of hours more.... so waiting to see the big picture of how we do.

I will be relying heaviny on here to get the news of who we "sign"
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Courtney Upshaw is exactly the type of OLB that the Ravens were looking for. What they are looking for is someone who can set the edge, the way that Jarret Johnson did, but who can take better advantage of the one-on-one opportunities from playing opposite Terrell Suggs. They have not and do not mind developing a player's coverage abilities. At that position, at the most, Upshaw will be asked to drop into a zone.

Osemele seems like he was in a bunch with Silatolu and Brooks, all athletic freaks with edge who are very raw. However, I think the Ravens were looking for more edge out of that spot. If there has been one knock of Ben Grubbs, over the years, it has been that he lacks the sort of mean streak that Baltimore looks for in their linemen.

Bernard Pierce is the first RB with legitimate breakaway speed that the Ravens have had in a while. The closest that they have had since Jamal in his prime, was Willis McGahee. He seems to be a very good fit for their scheme. What will be most important for the coaching staff, in reference to Pierce, is to make sure that he remains patient. If he does, behind Vontae Leach, he could do some damage and eventually become the starter.

Gino Gradkowski fell into a great situation. He gets to learn behind Matt Birk for a year, with a good chance to see playing time as well. I would be surprised if Matt Birk made it through the entire season.

As for the later rounds, I get the feeling that there were a few WRs they wanted, but weren't able to get. Their late fourth round pick and their fifth round pick were both compensatory picks. They couldn't trade them.

I reserve judgment on Tommy Streeter. The one guy that I would like to see them get as an UDFA is Dale Moss (WR), but there is no doubt that Streeter has 'potential' in this system. I am just not convinced that he will reach it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

C+

The two spots were they lost players with the most impact (OLB,OG) were taken care in the first two picks with players who could potentially start right away so that's an accomplishment by itself.

two starters in Upshaw and Osemele for 2012...one more for 2013 in Gradkowski.....help at safety and an intriguing project at receiver.....I don't know anything about the RB they drafted as they don't show a lot of Temple games out here in Texas....

I look forward to see who they sign as UDFA's.....

Blog Entries

Dont like upshaw much, and im not sure he even sees the field much. I think kruger is better right now and earned a shot and kindle was/maybe still is a better edge rusher.

Osemele is a decent prospect. Hopefully his work ethic is better now. I think it was good value.

Pierce isnt the RB I wanted but hes still damn good and can compliment rice as well as take over of he wants paid.

I like the fs pick. i think gradkowski is an ideal fit for the zone blocking althoigh not sure about value. The db sounds like a solid special teamer.

Tommy streeter i think is a steal in the 6th. He may not be great but at 6'5 with 80"+ wingspan and being a hands catcher, although inconsistent, is a monster talent.

I like the idea of dale moss. We needed to double dip at wr and seems likea solid plauer. Id invite burfict but no signing bonus. Let him come and see him first hand if he wants to work for it. Maybe this was the final eye opener? Id cut him loose the first mistake though.
    -JAB

From the few clips I've seen of him, Upshaw doesn't look explosive off the snap at all.
    He kind of plays like rubberman. It's deceiving. He looks like he;s playign lazy but is always in the right spot at the right time, which is good for a DE.

I was disappointed in the final 2 rounds. but that's not to take anything from who we picked. But I kind of wanted the ILB Travis Lewis(detroit) and OT Adrew Datko (undrafted, I think). THe C from texas would have been good too.

I'd give it a solid B.

Most of the day 3 guys I don't know much about...never even seen one of the infamous "youtube highlight" clips on most of them.

Hard to grade a draft the day of. It was a fail if you take into account what our AFC comp. got. Pitt, Cincy, NE, and even Houston had better drafts, that makes it scary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    From the few clips I've seen of him, Upshaw doesn't look explosive off the snap at all.
    He kind of plays like rubberman. It's deceiving. He looks like he;s playign lazy but is always in the right spot at the right time, which is good for a DE.
    Agree, but I'm looking at him through JJ colored glasses, and I see a replacement edge setter who could be close to JJ (who was omne of the best if not the best in the NFL), and who is a significantly better pass rusher than JJ. Not saying he is a super pass rusher, seems to lack the explosive first step, but we have others who can rush. He looks to me like we have replaced JJ with a younger cheaper version. I'm very content with getting him (plus I have to couple Gronkowski with him, because getting him is part of where we were able to get Upshaw) A+
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Courtney Upshaw is exactly the type of OLB that the Ravens were looking for. What they are looking for is someone who can set the edge, the way that Jarret Johnson did, but who can take better advantage of the one-on-one opportunities from playing opposite Terrell Suggs. They have not and do not mind developing a player's coverage abilities. At that position, at the most, Upshaw will be asked to drop into a zone.

Osemele seems like he was in a bunch with Silatolu and Brooks, all athletic freaks with edge who are very raw. However, I think the Ravens were looking for more edge out of that spot. If there has been one knock of Ben Grubbs, over the years, it has been that he lacks the sort of mean streak that Baltimore looks for in their linemen.

Bernard Pierce is the first RB with legitimate breakaway speed that the Ravens have had in a while. The closest that they have had since Jamal in his prime, was Willis McGahee. He seems to be a very good fit for their scheme. What will be most important for the coaching staff, in reference to Pierce, is to make sure that he remains patient. If he does, behind Vontae Leach, he could do some damage and eventually become the starter.

Gino Gradkowski fell into a great situation. He gets to learn behind Matt Birk for a year, with a good chance to see playing time as well. I would be surprised if Matt Birk made it through the entire season.

As for the later rounds, I get the feeling that there were a few WRs they wanted, but weren't able to get. Their late fourth round pick and their fifth round pick were both compensatory picks. They couldn't trade them.

I reserve judgment on Tommy Streeter. The one guy that I would like to see them get as an UDFA is Dale Moss (WR), but there is no doubt that Streeter has 'potential' in this system. I am just not convinced that he will reach it.
    Gradkowski was a real surprise for me, I read some stuff on him about a month ago and really thought that he fit what we do. He's a blue collar guy with a mean streak, exactly what our O line needed. Also, I love how our offense got tougher through this draft.