Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: How did we do?

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    The Ravens front office obviously went into this draft thinking it was fantasy football, and after spending a few hours on the internet checking out a few sites and reading a few expert opinions, made their board. Then, once the draft began, it all began to unravel and they just started grabbing guys they had heard the name of once or twice, or that an office secretary's husband had mentioned.

Yeah, that's exactly how they operate.
    Lmao
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Re: How did we do?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I didn't post that, but in the end sure, that's all we have when we make our opinions...before the draft. It may or may not be true.

But some facts here are that Brewster was not thought as highly as the media led us to believe, nor were that group of WR's. Those are facts. Gino is speculation.
    Fact is that every team doesn't employ BPA every round. Not drafting a player is not sole indication of how they were thought of.

Fact is the Gradkowski competed against lesser talent.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

RM--
    I think I understand where you're coming from with the Gradowski comment, but consider that many were saying the same thing about Flacco when he was drafted, and he's done at least "okay".

lulz...just heard some mope fan on 105.7 say that once NE traded up to take Hightower, we panicked...and that we got caught with our pants down *smdh*

All we know about teams' grades is that they liked the player they chose better than the other available players at that position at the time they chose. That is it. Even now, after the draft, there are reasons why teams would not tell the truth about where they had players graded.

We know the Ravens had Gradkowski graded higher than Jones, Blake and Molk. We don't yet know if they were "right" to do so, but time may tell. We also don't know if they had Gradkowski graded higher than Konz, because Konz was gone and after you take Gradkowski there is no reason after the fact to mention/admit that you had Konz rated higher, while there is a reason to claim you wanted Gradkowski more all along. We are dealing with human beings and human nature (and common sense).

As for Gradkowski, I have no problem with the player and think the intangibles (attitude, demeanor, work ethic, personality, etc) combined with the fact he has a year (most likely) to get coached up and mentored played a large role in his "grade." Some teams relish projects with good character, other teams are willing to ignore character for big conference or more NFL-ready bodies. I prefer the former approach if one has the latitude to let the guy learn as a back-up. I also think that by taking Gradkowski at #98, all we can conclude is that the Ravens were worried he might not be there at #130 (our next pick), which I don't think is an unreasonable assessment.

The most questionable pick in my mind is Pierce, but only if I assume they have an interest in keeping Rice around for more than a year or two. If the pick was made because that isn't likely to happen, then it makes sense. If they took Pierce to be a lesser-platoon/backup RB for years to come, I think he went too high, considering we can get FA RBs to fill that role for cheap.

If folks can't see the double standard in this media/scout , information/disinformation back and forth then.....

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    Fact is that every team doesn't employ BPA every round. Not drafting a player is not sole indication of how they were thought of.

Fact is the Gradkowski competed against lesser talent.
    Of course they don't. But there were a lot of teams that needed WR's that didn't take them. I listed some of them in a previous post...check it out.

As for Gino...of course he did...so did Flacco/Roethlisberger...Webb/Finnegen...Michael Turner/Fred Jackson/Chris Johnson...Roddy White/Steve Smith...Matt Birk/Mike Iupati/Ryan Clady...I could go on and on. Small school does not mean much these days.

If folks can't see the double standard in this media/scout , information/disinformation back and forth then.....
    I see the double standard... I jst don't see what you're on about. Except that it seems clear that you think Ozzie and company were not sober when putting the board together, because you don't see how Gradkowski could be valued how they valued him. So in other words, you're sure that all the media scouts know what's better for the Ravens than the Ravens do, yeah?

That's how I'm reading you anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Of course they don't. But there were a lot of teams that needed WR's that didn't take them. I listed some of them in a previous post...check it out.

As for Gino...of course he did...so did Flacco/Roethlisberger...Webb/Finnegen...Michael Turner/Fred Jackson/Chris Johnson...Roddy White/Steve Smith...Matt Birk/Mike Iupati/Ryan Clady...I could go on and on. Small school does not mean much these days.
    Didn't Nick Collins go to Bethman Cook? And Jared Allen Was at a culinary school... Brent Grimes was Shippensburg. Bryan Westbrook was Villanova. Jahari Evans was Bloomsberg... This is all off the top of my head. Completely agre with the small school thing. Most guys end up being steals.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Just a thought for the 105.7 mope ;) --
    Forget for a moment that Ozzie has over a decade of experience at the Ravens helm in managing the draft process, and by any reasonable account has his shit wired together pretty well.

Do you really think that the Ravens were so blind that they missed the idea that there were initially 28 other teams who had a shot at drafting Hightower, or that trading up significantly in the draft order to swipe him before the Pats or others did was a sound business decision, or that Hightower is a given as far as his immediate success in the NFL v. the certain inability of Upshaw to be of any benefit,....or are you really an administrative insider on the Ravens draft team and are disgusted with the team because they didn't listen to your wisdom?

Anxiously awaiting your reply,

I remain,

Perplexed

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    RM--
    I think I understand where you're coming from with the Gradowski comment, but consider that many were saying the same thing about Flacco when he was drafted, and he's done at least "okay".
    The position is a big difference. Also Flacco was highly thought of and there was a lot of daylight between Flacco and other quarterbacks. Hard to imagine a tremendous amount of daylight between Gradkowski and the other C's.

I think it's pretty clear. People make opinions based off what they get from the media. The media is not always getting fed correct information...many of whom don't have any more access than you or I.

Every draft, it is clear that there are a lot of players that they have no idea on...mostly all players after round 2 as thats all most casual fans care about.

However, AFTER the draft, you get a much clearer picture of how the real professionals veiw the talent. Again, the FACT here is that Brewster was not anywhere near as highly thought of by the league or he would have been drafted...and not in the 7th either. Same with the WR's. If they were, they would have been drafted earlier...if not by the teams I listed, than by the very teams that took them.

Gino is all speculation. Someone thought highly enough of him to not only take him high in the 4th, but before all the other C's that were drafted after him. Nobody knows for sure what the league thought of him...but one team.

And not a single team thought highly enough of those other players to take them or take them higher.