Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Mortenson - Playing Pro Bowl is pretty much done

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Baseball is the closest one to a real game and the only one worthy of watching.
    Vs. the NFL, MLB has the advantage of being a midseason event, acting as a valued "bye week" for all non-participants. It's really only rough on pitchers who might be used on other than their work days in their rotation. You can get injured in the Pro Bowl as easily as any other game/contact drill, which is another reason to dodge it or dog it if selected.

MLB also was wise to make their All Star Game mean something (i.e homefield advantage for one League in the W.S.). I haven't watched a minute of the Pro Bowl in years. Keep the All Conference teams/incentive clauses - lose the game. The only place it will be missed is Honolulu

They'll never do it but if they want to make the game intense again they should reinstitute the old college all stars vs pro bowlers system.

The amateurs will be playing hard to put more positive tape out there predraft and the vets will want to avoid getting shown up by the younguns.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ozlb5a
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Vs. the NFL, MLB has the advantage of being a midseason event, acting as a valued "bye week" for all non-participants. It's really only rough on pitchers who might be used on other than their work days in their rotation. You can get injured in the Pro Bowl as easily as any other game/contact drill, which is another reason to dodge it or dog it if selected.

MLB also was wise to make their All Star Game mean something (i.e homefield advantage for one League in the W.S.). I haven't watched a minute of the Pro Bowl in years. Keep the All Conference teams/incentive clauses - lose the game. The only place it will be missed is Honolulu
    I'm not sure even Honolulu misses it that much. Sure, there are some extra tourist dollars floating around, but the stadium always looks pretty empty.

Now that I have been thinking about it, I think Houston's idea of a skills competition might be better to attract fan attention, than an ESPY-like awards show.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

I liked it when they did it after super bowl as a final football fix, with all the skills games and such. I think moving it to the bye week before the super bowl really killed it.

I vote for skills challenge... they were the only thing I enjoyed during the Pro Bowl week

I think you could still do both -- skills before the Super Bowl, awards after (including awards to the skills winners).