Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mortenson - Playing Pro Bowl is pretty much done

Just said on Mike and Mike that the Pro Bowl is about to be "suspended" and more than likely they will not play the game anymore. No site is listed on the schedule for next years game and that is why. Said one person told him last night it was D.O.A.

Said players will still get incentives in their contracts and all that but the drafted players today will probably never play in one, and the actual game is on life support at best.

Good riddance.
    Last edited by TheJoeFlaccoShow; 04-26-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Agreed.

I've always been a fan of naming an all pro team then having the players do a skills competition. Winners can get cash, solidifying their interest and participation.

Re: Mortenson - Playing Pro Bowl is pretty much done

Yea something like houston said, they need to do something, but it needs to be meaningful to the players for them to partake 100% in it. You understand them not wanting to get injured and all that, but the last one was a complete and utter farce.

What do basketball and baseball do?

Blog Entries

being voted to the probowl is still and honor and incentive but the game itself is done and unwatchable. Im not sure anything the fans vote for should be that highly regarded honestly, there's guys out there that want Russel Wilson over Joe Flacco. those votes should only count so much to ones bank account or prestige. The other 2/3 of the vote, coaches and players, are really all that matters.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Yea something like houston said, they need to do something, but it needs to be meaningful to the players for them to partake 100% in it. You understand them not wanting to get injured and all that, but the last one was a complete and utter farce.

What do basketball and baseball do?
    NBA plays a game that features no defense(literally), baseball is the closest one to a real game and the only one worthy of watching.

Expand the skills competition for the NFL, I would watch that.

Co-sign

Absolute laughing "stalk" and a waste of hard earned fan cash.

Hows a lingerie bowl sound instead :celery

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed.

I've always been a fan of naming an all pro team then having the players do a skills competition. Winners can get cash, solidifying their interest and participation.
    They used to do stuff like that.

Like QB drills where they're throwing at moving targets downfield, D-backs & receivers racing each other, linemen doing bench press, etc.

I think that it should kind of be like how college fb names an All American team as an honor and then an all conference team.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    NBA plays a game that features no defense(literally), baseball is the closest one to a real game and the only one worthy of watching.

Expand the skills competition for the NFL, I would watch that.
    Isn't that every NBA game? I agree with just naming an all pro team and leave it at that. The whole game is silly.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Polian when asked about them not playing the game...

"It has been sliding for some time. Voting has become a joke among football people. Players pull out of the game and you have players who would never be considered Pro Bowlers. It is not surprising."

Blog Entries

Last year's game was the nail in the coffin, it was a total embarassment. Players even called each other out.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I've always been a fan of naming an all pro team
    As long as it's not selected by clueless 'tards, would be a nice idea.

I've posted this suggestion before, and it seemed to get some traction, so I'll post it again.

I've long argued they should dump the Pro Bowl game, and in its place they should hold an annual Academy Awards-style event. It could be hosted in the Super Bowl city the week leading up to the Super Bowl...or it could be held after the Super Bowl in New York. Let Rich Eisen of the NFL Network or Dan Patrick of NBC host the black-tie event and telecast it on NFLN or ESPN.

The show could pull in a whole lot of awards and honors. Forget the concept of Pro Bowl and announce the All Pro team, which is more of an honor anyway. Announce all the Players of the Year awards and MVP. Coach of the year. All Rookie team. Announce the HOF finalists. Announce a future Super Bowl city. Let EA announce the Madden cover finalists. Lifetime achievement. Ed Block Courage winner. Walter Payton Man of the Year. Interspersed with cut-aways to game highlights from the season. Catch of the year. Stop of the year. Hit of the year. Run of the year. It would be a chance for fans to see the players out of uniform, with wives and girlfriends. Top ten plays of the year.

To me, while it may be hollywood, and not really a football-like event, it would be ten times more interesting than the game no one cares about. Tell me Terrell Suggs doesn't belong at that podium at an event like that accepting his Defensive POY award?

I think the event would be widely watched, moreso than the game, and could pull in a lot of money for the league, or charity, and be a nice forum for the league's sponsors to benefit.