Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Dumped from 24x7 Ravens forum on April 25th

Here you go Irish. Here's the movie. It's great. There's 2 sequels. It was filmed in
    Toronto but is about the club at Yale.

I think you can buy it on Amazon.com.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Skulls_(film)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    No doubt both Lincoln & FDR exercised federal govt. authority beyond what any of either's predecessors could have imagined. But not for self-aggrandizement or evil ends - rather to address crises that were spinning out of control and could not be addressed by the then contemporary models of govt. To me, that's what makes both great. To rail against the New Deal in 2012 is easy. To rail against it in the 1930s was to assign multitudes of Americans to suffering that was not of their own causing and of which they could do little themselves to alleviate. At least something like the WPA or CCC asked people to work for their govt. aid (and most were damn happy to do so) and left us w/ useful infrastructural benefits. Don't bitch at FDR for the continuance of social welfare programs and regulatory behavior. There have been how many Congresses since his death that have elected not only to not dismantle what was set in motion, but have expanded it? Maybe that has something to do w/ an electorate that won't vote their own benefits away (though they complain loudly about all the other "chiselers" & their benefits). There was much to like about the New Deal's legacy in my book. Glass-Steagall Act anyone? If it hadn't been repealed, we might not have had to bail out those Too Big To Fail a-holes.

Lincoln a tyrant? Well, perhaps technicallly yes, when one looks at the suspension of habeas corpus, etc. But I can't help but view people who call Lincoln a tyrant as people who favor secession, which was in the long run a bad idea in and of itself, even before one gets to why the Confederacy wanted "states rights." As I asked my high school history students for 20 years, "States' rights to do what?"? Slavery was America's original sin. Secession was a desperate effort to perpetuate slavery. Lincoln led an effort to put down the rebellion/secession. That's a good thing. End of story. If you disagree w/ the gist of that, may the Lord have mercy on your soul.
    Lincoln didn't declare war to end slavery. He declared war in order to keep the Union together, by force if necessary. He stated that multiple times. He even stated at his inaugural address that he would support legislation preventing congress from interfering with slavery in the states where it existed because he was trying to keep the union together and keep a strong centralized government. The funny thing is it would have actually been the 13th amendment. Another interesting point is that the money Lincoln spent on the war could have bought the freedom of every southern slave at the time and given them land.

Lincoln was very racist and in a debate in 1858 against Stephen A. Douglas, Lincoln claimed that there was a physical and mental difference between blacks and whites and that is why that there would never be equality between the two races.

There were several prominent southerners who opposed slavery and were in favor of emancipation. Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and James Thornwell (prominent religious & political figure) all publicly stated that slavery was a moral and political evil. In fact, Thornwell had even been in discussion with other southern politicians about devising a plan for emancipation before the actual war had broken out.

So, while slavery was an issue, it was not THE overall issue for the south to secede. Lincoln was moving the union to a centralized and supreme government and the southern states didn't want that and socially and politically disagreed with having a strong centralized federal government.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Here you go Irish. Here's the movie. It's great. There's 2 sequels. It was filmed in
    Toronto but is about the club at Yale.

I think you can buy it on Amazon.com.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Skulls_(film)
    Cool, thanks, just downloaded it

Have two hours before the draft, going to watch it now

I heard about Skull and Bones before back during the Kerry-Bush and the media said both were members.
    Don't know anything else about it realy

Blog Entries

I always admired Lee despite his treason. He was the best officer the country ever produced and the most loved General ever. He was an honorable man but he didn't free
    the slaves like Wash did. In fact, when he marched to Gettysburgh and went thru York
    they found some freed slaves, some that had fled the south and made it. The army
    tied them up and sent them back to the south. Lee had to know about it.

The irony of Gettysburgh and perhaps the entire war was that the final battle at
    Gettysburgh at Seminary Ridge ended on a farm owned by a freed slave. They
    breached the line at the ridge and got over it until reinforcements arrived and pushed
    them back.

General Armistead who's uncle was the hero and commander of Ft McHenry went
    futher than anyone in that attack until he fell. That's called the South's high water
    mark, the closest they came to winning the war.

It's kind of funny. My family fought for Lee who refused to fire on his home in Virginia but
    my ancestors didnt mind it. They were part of thousands of Marylanders that joined Lee's
    army. They were at Antietam and had they won they would have
    devoured the entire state including their own homes. Lee wouldn't fire on his home but
    my family would have. I'm convinced had I been alive I would have been at Antietam
    trying to kill them because I would have tried to stop slavery.

There's no proof of this but I think they might have been part of the riots on Pratt St when
    they attacked union troops as the marched up to Camden Yards from Union Station in
    Little Italy. My family lived out Wilkens Ave and that's close to there. My grandfather always
    took my mom on walks down to the Lexington Market and the market on broadway where
    he bought fish.

Those were really the first shots of the Civl War and 12 citizens were killed or wounded.
    I'm convinced my family was down there raising hell. That's where I get my hell raising
    from as you can tell-lol.

Lincoln once again brought union troops to Bmore and put guns on Federal Hill. They
    could fire all the way out to 25th street. General Butler the Butcher said he'd do just
    that if they acted up again. They never did and the guns are still there point out to
    the city.

Butler was the one who surrounded the state house as they voted to leave the union
    but didn't get his nick name til New Orleans where he butchered a lot of citizens like
    he promised to do here.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-26-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Cool, thanks, just downloaded it

Have two hours before the draft, going to watch it now
    Watched it just now
    Very good film, realy enjoyed it, thumps up
    Some good songs in the soundtrack too
    Thanks for the recommendation AF

I'm going offtopic now so I'll leave it at that