Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?



    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The rest of the AFC has answered this question already. Houston and New England were hell bent on stopping Ray Rice in the playoffs. Other than one game, Ray Rice's career playoff numbers are not great. The AFC has spoken: They will not, I repeat, will not, let Ray Rice run the Ravens to a Super Bowl.

    Yes, Ray Rice has been a significant contributor to the offense and I would be happy for him if he did get AP money, elsewhere.

    The reality is this: Give Joe Flacco better WRs and he can be the focal point of the offense. How many times, over these four years, have we seen Joe Flacco make clutch throws that were dropped? Do we really have to go through the list again? Give him some Coryell burners that can hold onto the ball and you will see a better Joe Flacco. Torrey Smith is one. The next one will likely join the team this week.
    I don't really follow your logic. Your saying that teams are hell bent on stopping Ray Rice which is true and I agree that some teams have been successful. What makes you think that team's won't be successful at taking Joe Flacco away once the defenses focus shifts to him? Reality is Flacco's job is a lot easier with Ray Rice than it is without him.




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Reality is Flacco's job is a lot easier with A GOOD RUNNING GAME than it is without him.
    Fixed that for you.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Well, 4 years Rice was the Ravens 3rd RB and not for a stupid personal foul penalty late in the 4th Q by some scrub on special teams the Ravens might have gone to the SB.

    2 years prior Ravens went 13-3 home round bye, best record Ravens ever had/ no Rice.

    Rice has been crap last 3 playoff games and can't pickup yards in short yardage. HE IS A 2 DOWN BACK, not a 3 down back like FOSTER for instance.
    And what about those regular season games where Rice pretty much carried our offense to victory to get to the play offs? What about the wild card play off game against the Patriots in 2009? What about the week 17 game in Cincy where we where fighting for home field advantage, it was basically a play off game for us. You don't make any sense at all, if Joe Flacco has a bad game it's his receivers fault right? What about when Rice has a bad game, do many people blame our offensive line? No they don't.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Corey, this is a different type of situation. Foster and Rice are so similar in stats that it should be a no brainer.. the basic framework is
    already there. If Todd France wants to get a little more, but the Ravens want to keep it at the Foster's level, both sides will quickly split the difference. Its over quickly. This annoying delay obviously means France wants Rice paid much more... and I think we can all agree Rice simply isn't worth it. As a Ravens fan, this pisses me off b/c the Ravens FO isnt gonna overpay Rice to keep him so its a stupid battle. I do cut Rice a little bit of a break b/c this is France's stance, but ultimately the naive Rice has to realize that its not what's best for him. After the Ravens franchise him again in 2013, Rice isn't gonna get a great contract on the open market in 2014.
    Just like Suggs being paid as a DE or OLB was supposed to be a no brainer? Yet it took almost two years for the Ravens and Suggs to get that contract worked out. These things don't happen overnight. It doesn't matter what another player signed for.

    No one here knows ALL the terms of Foster's contract. We just know the basic numbers. There are other aspects that go into negotiating a contract. To assume that Rice would accept the exact same deal that Foster got is naive. Especially, when you don't know the language and ways out that are built into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    A lot of this is just an excuse for people to predict doom and gloom for us, or seem to want an excuse to get rid of Rice for whatever reasons. I think we have a good chance to keep both past 2012. And for the last time, where the hell are people actually getting the stupid idea that Rice has even asked anything close to AP money, no one really knows anything about what Rice and his agent are asking.
    Exactly. Rice and his agent have both disputed the report that Rice is trying to be the highest paid back in the league or that he wants AP money. Fans are overzealous when it comes to these things. It's always "the player didn't accept the first deal the team offered, he's not a team player. Get rid of him."




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,346
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I don't really follow your logic. Your saying that teams are hell bent on stopping Ray Rice which is true and I agree that some teams have been successful. What makes you think that team's won't be successful at taking Joe Flacco away once the defenses focus shifts to him? Reality is Flacco's job is a lot easier with Ray Rice than it is without him.
    The Ravens were able to run the ball before Rice arrived and they will be able to run the ball after Rice leaves.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    And what about those regular season games where Rice pretty much carried our offense to victory to get to the play offs? What about the wild card play off game against the Patriots in 2009? What about the week 17 game in Cincy where we where fighting for home field advantage, it was basically a play off game for us. You don't make any sense at all, if Joe Flacco has a bad game it's his receivers fault right? What about when Rice has a bad game, do many people blame our offensive line? No they don't.
    Boulder doesn't.


    Most of us can see that the OL was the larger culprit for the anemic running game in the playoffs. No push whatsoever.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #37

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    And what about those regular season games where Rice pretty much carried our offense to victory to get to the play offs? What about the wild card play off game against the Patriots in 2009? What about the week 17 game in Cincy where we where fighting for home field advantage, it was basically a play off game for us. You don't make any sense at all, if Joe Flacco has a bad game it's his receivers fault right? What about when Rice has a bad game, do many people blame our offensive line? No they don't.
    I am not against RICE as a player. For one thing, people hold
    That NE playoff game like the 1958 championship game for Rice. As far as short yardage is my problem. To be a back to get short yardage you must have one or more of a certain set of special skills- ie. Blazing speed to hit the corner, leaping ability to go over the pile, length to extend past the LOS, or power to bust tackles and lean forward and bowl over a tackler. In goal line or short yardage if you have ever played football, you know that you will be at a deficit on the line no matter how good your line is. It will be 9 in the box vs likely vs 7-8 blockers including 2 either extra lineman or TE. Rice on short yardage lacks the skillset, that's why he is a two down back. He lacks size, length, power, leaping abilty
    and amazing speed to reach the pilon. He is over valuing himself. He isn't even worth Foster money. If he gets it, I see it as a coup for him. He is a good back. Not 8 million dollar back. You can use that 8 million per year to make other positions better. You only get so much money as a team to spend- so if you lose Rice- other spots on the roster can be improved. Rice thinks he is the next Jim Brown, he's not.




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    334

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    It's a qb driven league, all the top backs were sitting at home.




  9. #39

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Boulder doesn't.


    Most of us can see that the OL was the larger culprit for the anemic running game in the playoffs. No push whatsoever.
    The Oline was average, not horrible. They struggled the ENTIRE season in short yardage this year. Not last year, the year before because they didn't use RW in that spot were they used McGahee and LeRon. Rice is not physically built for
    that role. Had they used RW for short yardage they would have likely been better. The oline was adequate in other situations. You have to have a special skill set for short yardage- which Rice doesn't possess.




  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The Ravens were able to run the ball before Rice arrived and they will be able to run the ball after Rice leaves.
    Well, lets look at that.

    The Ravens rushing ranks the 5 years before Ray Rice arrived:
    YPG/ YPC
    2003- 1st / 3rd (Lewis 2k season)
    2004- 9th / 14th
    2005- 21st/ 25th
    2006- 25/ 31st
    2007- 16th/ 15th


    After Ray Rice:
    2008: 4th/ 21st
    2009: 5th/ 4th
    2010:14th/ 25th
    2011: 10th/ 12th

    This idea that the Ravens are able to put together a great or even good rushing attack without a premier running back is a fallacy. The best years that the team has had rushing the ball have come while Lewis or Rice have been in their primes.

    Argue that the Ravens are good at finding top notch running backs but don't argue that players like Ray Rice don't make a difference and that their production is easily replaceable. Because as Lewis's decline starting from 2005 shows, they are not.




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    The Oline was average, not horrible. They struggled the ENTIRE season in short yardage this year. Not last year, the year before because they didn't use RW in that spot were they used McGahee and LeRon. Rice is not physically built for
    that role. Had they used RW for short yardage they would have likely been better. The oline was adequate in other situations. You have to have a special skill set for short yardage- which Rice doesn't possess.
    If the OL gives him a crack, he's going to squirt through it. I get what you're saying about his size versus a 230lb back, but at the end of the day if the OL does their job then it's all a moot point. Maybe someone like RW or whoever could have picked up those short yards even with sub-par performance from the OL, but then again, maybe not.

    What I do know is that with a good offensive line the running game and the passing game suddenly look a lot better.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,858
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Well, lets look at that.

    The Ravens rushing ranks the 5 years before Ray Rice arrived:
    YPG/ YPC
    2003- 1st / 3rd (Lewis 2k season)
    2004- 9th / 14th
    2005- 21st/ 25th
    2006- 25/ 31st
    2007- 16th/ 15th


    After Ray Rice:
    2008: 4th/ 21st
    2009: 5th/ 4th
    2010:14th/ 25th
    2011: 10th/ 12th

    This idea that the Ravens are able to put together a great or even good rushing attack without a premier running back is a fallacy. The best years that the team has had rushing the ball have come while Lewis or Rice have been in their primes.

    Argue that the Ravens are good at finding top notch running backs but don't argue that players like Ray Rice don't make a difference and that their production is easily replaceable. Because as Lewis's decline starting from 2005 shows, they are not.
    It's kind of hard to gauge the entire offense as a whole from 05-07 though. It was just bad all around.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,346
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    You don't have to replace all of Rice's production with another RB. How many times do we have to say that? If you upgrade the WR position, Joe has shown that he can make the throws. If you get better play from the WRs, you won't need all of Rice's production to be replaced.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  14. #44

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Well, lets look at that.

    The Ravens rushing ranks the 5 years before Ray Rice arrived:
    YPG/ YPC
    2003- 1st / 3rd (Lewis 2k season)
    2004- 9th / 14th
    2005- 21st/ 25th
    2006- 25/ 31st
    2007- 16th/ 15th


    After Ray Rice:
    2008: 4th/ 21st
    2009: 5th/ 4th
    2010:14th/ 25th
    2011: 10th/ 12th

    This idea that the Ravens are able to put together a great or even good rushing attack without a premier running back is a fallacy. The best years that the team has had rushing the ball have come while Lewis or Rice have been in their primes.

    Argue that the Ravens are good at finding top notch running backs but don't argue that players like Ray Rice don't make a difference and that their production is easily replaceable. Because as Lewis's decline starting from 2005 shows, they are not.
    There are a lot of problems with your argument. First, correlation does not equal causation. The mere fact that our rushing attack got better around the same time that Rice was drafted does not necessarily mean it got better BECAUSE Rice was drafted. You would need to do more to prove that, and the first thing you would need to prove is that there were no other factors that could explain why our rushing attack got better outside of Rice.

    You can't do that because Rice's arrival also coincided with Cam Cameron's. How do we know it's not the influence of the OC that has made our rushing attack better? Or how do we know it's not Joe Flacco's arm? Or improvement in the OL? Or overall improvement in our talent at RB, including McGahee and McClain? So your argument has a big philosophical problem in that it can't actually prove its premise.

    Which brings me to my second point: your facts. Of the 4 "after Rice" years you mentioned, the most successful rushing years were 2008 and 2009. Rice was 3rd on the team in rushing yards in 2008 by a country mile; how does he have anything to do with that? I'd contend our success in 2008 was due to our OL and the other 2 backs on our roster performing at a high level. It had nothing to do with Rice. Further, in 2009, Rice platooned with McGahee and McClain, and although he was very successful in that year McGahee averaged 5.0 YPC to Rice's 5.3 so it seems like they were both doing well, not just Rice. So in 2008 and 2009 the facts don't support that Rice was the most important factor in a great rushing attack.

    In fact, over the last two years, we've been a less successful rushing team by total yards and YPC. Those 2 years coincide with Rice being given more carries as the undisputed feature back. Using your logic, I could argue this means that Rice must not be as good as he seemed when he was given less carries, but as I've said it's not all about the RB. There are too many other factors to make it that black and white.

    I'm not making a judgment on Rice and his contribution to this team, just pointing out that things are more complex than they appear.




  15. #45

    Re: Joe Flacco or Ray Rice?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If the OL gives him a crack, he's going to squirt through it. I get what you're saying about his size versus a 230lb back, but at the end of the day if the OL does their job then it's all a moot point. Maybe someone like RW or whoever could have picked up those short yards even with sub-par performance from the OL, but then again, maybe not.

    What I do know is that with a good offensive line the running game and the passing game suddenly look a lot better.
    The thing is on goal line or short yardage it usually 8 offensive blockers usually vs 9 usually 10 defense. Even behind great olines there is rarely a crack, it usually up to
    creative play calling or the skill of the RB in short yardage. That's why I think Rice is a good a great 2 down, but not 3 down back. But wants 3 down back money.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland