1. is Joe Flacco a restricted free agent?

Flacco has one year left on his contract, so does that make him a restricted free agent, much like Mike Wallace is? I am not sure why there is so much urgency to get Flacco an extension. I have not hear about the possibility of Flacco being snatched away by another team much like Mike Wallace can be had.

p.s. was Rice a restricted free agent last season?

Re: is Joe Flacco a restricted free agent?

You are only a free agent when you have no contract. Joe has a contract (he's in the 5th year).

Joe ain't going anywhere. Joe will have his 8-10 year contract extension before the season starts.

No he's not an RFA because he's still under his 5 year deal.

Blog Entries

I think we had a similar discussion pertaining to Paul Kruger and next year and the new CBA does away with the RFA clause because rookie deals are now 4 or 5 years, correct?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think we had a similar discussion pertaining to Paul Kruger and next year and the new CBA does away with the RFA clause because rookie deals are now 4 or 5 years, correct?
    That is correct. All rookie deals are now at least 4 years, with the first 10 picks of the 1st round receiving a 5th year option I believe. Next year is the last year we will see a lot of RFAs, since some 2010 draft picks got 3 year deals and will thus be RFAs in 2013. I believe undrafted free agents can still be signed to deals of 3 or less years, though, so they may still be eligible for restricted free agency, but I'm not sure on that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If you sign a 3 or fewer year deal when you are drafted and your contract expires the team can tender you as a RFA through year 4. Kruger and Rice both had 4 year contracts so they skip restricted free agency. Flacco signed a 5 year contracts so he skips restricted free agency.

Mike Wallace signed a 3 year deal when he was drafted so he can be tendered by the team for year 4. He has to play this year to get another year in so he can become an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    That is correct. All rookie deals are now at least 4 years, with the first 10 picks of the 1st round receiving a 5th year option I believe. Next year is the last year we will see a lot of RFAs, since some 2010 draft picks got 3 year deals and will thus be RFAs in 2013. I believe undrafted free agents can still be signed to deals of 3 or less years, though, so they may still be eligible for restricted free agency, but I'm not sure on that.
    you are correct. the only players that will be eligable to be RFA and ERFA will be undrafted free agents and players that were released from other teams and practice squad players

Yes. Yes he is.

Blog Entries

Trust me, if Joe Flacco were a Restricted Free Agent, you would have known by now.

Good Morning to everyone.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

im assuming thats sarcasm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl1tz View Post
    Yes. Yes he is.