A couple of us were interested last offseason... what about now?

Last year, I was in the boat of people that wanted to trade for Osi Umenyiora. I just didn't see how our pass rush would improve without adding a viable rusher through FA or the draft.

I didn't forsee Pagano having such an impact, as well as the improvement in Kruger and McPhee emerging as a nice rusher.

Still our pass rush was rather lack luster in away games and Suggs needs some help still.

Tweet from Jason LaCanfora
    "If a team came a callin' the Giants this week, offering say a 3rd round pick for Osi, can't help but think things could get interesting"

Anybody interested?

Seems like a lot to give up for a situational player that isn't an ideal fit in the defense but he would be instant help on third downs and in some sub packages.

Blog Entries

Re: A couple of us were interested last offseason... what about now?

The problem is Osi would be a situational pass rusher here and that's definitely something I'd be interested in seeing, but that may not be where he wants to go. Osi has already publicly made it known he isn't happy about not starting, so why would he be ok with being traded to a team where he wouldn't be a starter? Plus, you'd have to renegotiate a contract for him and considering the INSANE contract that the Colts gave Mathis (who IMO isn't as good of a pass rusher as Osi is and is older) you know Osi's agent is going to be looking for top dollar.

Last year it made sense. This year, with the cap situation the way it is, negotiating with Flacco, Rice, & Cary Williams...I don't see it.

I could see New England getting into the mix there. Minnesota and Seattle are two other teams I could see being interested.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Ozzie tried to trade for him last year but it all fell through. The major problems I have with it is his age and scheme fit. However we are not a full 3-4 defense, we switch around like hell. You can never have too many pass rushers, and with the teams on our schedule this year, we are going to need all the pass rush we can get. I would give up a 3rd for him any day, but the other problem we have is our cap, what is his current contract, wouldn't we have to cut someone to make this happen?

Last year, it made no sense, given the trade demands from the Giants. He was not worth a #2.

This year, it makes no sense since he's 30 and we'd have to give up a #3 for someone who, if we're lucky, give us a few years at best.

Blog Entries

I'd be interested but we don't have the cap space to do it. Osi was a huge factor in the playoffs. The Giants don't beat the Packers without him. We've now had several 1 year rentals in recent years, Evans, Housh, Wilson. It's not like Ozzie doesn't like the concept. The problem is the cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Last year, it made no sense, given the trade demands from the Giants. He was not worth a #2.

This year, it makes no sense since he's 30 and we'd have to give up a #3 for someone who, if we're lucky, give us a few years at best.
    :word
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Even with a small cap hit (just under $4 mill I believe...which for a DE is cheap) the Ravens don't have that cap room.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Those of you who are upset with Rice for wanting more money than the market dictates will want to strangle Umenyiora when he hits free agency next offseason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Those of you who are upset with Rice for wanting more money than the market dictates will want to strangle Umenyiora when he hits free agency next offseason.
    I think you just expect to lose him. What you are doing is trading a draft pick for a 1 year rental.

Blog Entries

Yes, absolutely. If you look at it we run the Nickle more than any other single defense, compared to the 3-4,4-3,dime,whatever. Per Film studies posts. Think I totalled it up one time and we were in a 4 or 5 pass rusher mode something like 70% of the time last season. SO that being said, Suggs with his hand in the dirt, Ngata and Cody in the Middle, and Osi on the ther side could be devastating. AND given the competition this year and te QB's we have to face we better have a very good pass rush, and not just on 3rd down.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I think you just expect to lose him. What you are doing is trading a draft pick for a 1 year rental.
    Yes, that's the impression I've gotten with him too. In the last decade, the Ravens have shown that they rarely overpay. Umenyiora is a talented player, but he will be 31 this season and will be shooting for the moon in Free Agency in 2013. He would be a one-year rental almost assuredly. I'd pass rather than giving up a 3rd rounder on a one year guy.