Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Americanmade2012 Guest

Biggest Shocker....

At the end of round 1 what team will have the biggest reach/surprise?

IMO it will be the browns with Blackmon(based on the Browns needs, Blackmon is def top ten talent IMO) or Tannehill I mean after all it is the browns.

Blog Entries

Re: Biggest Shocker....

I think the biggest surprise will be Michael Floyd being taken before Justin Blackmon.

A couple of other guys to keep an eye on for 1st round picks...Derek Wolfe out of Cinci and Nick Toon out of Wisconsin.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Why do you rate Blackmon so highly? I mean he's a good receiver, and will be solid in the NFL IMO, but nothing like AJ Green of last year, so no he isn't a top ten talent in my book, he just is rated better due to the lack of talent in this years draft.

Really this is what I call "top ten talent" in this years draft, and not many of these players would be in the top 20 in my book of the last few drafts we've had.

Trent Richardson
    Andrew Luck
    RG3
    Janoris Jenkins
    Morris Claiborne
    Stephon Gilmore
    Melvin Ingram
    Matt Kalil
    Michael Floyd
    Fletcher Cox

With that said, the biggest shocker for this years draft will be Cleveland passing up on Trent Richardson and probably reaching for Ryan Tannehill.

Americanmade2012 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Why do you rate Blackmon so highly? I mean he's a good receiver, and will be solid in the NFL IMO, but nothing like AJ Green of last year, so no he isn't a top ten talent in my book, he just is rated better due to the lack of talent in this years draft.

Really this is what I call "top ten talent" in this years draft, and not many of these players would be in the top 20 in my book of the last few drafts we've had.

Trent Richardson
    Andrew Luck
    RG3
    Janoris Jenkins
    Morris Claiborne
    Stephon Gilmore
    Melvin Ingram
    Matt Kalil
    Michael Floyd
    Fletcher Cox

With that said, the biggest shocker for this years draft will be Cleveland passing up on Trent Richardson and probably reaching for Ryan Tannehill.
    I understand your opinion and feel differently everyone has a different view on "talent" some like speed and others like stats/productivity. I mean you see it every now and then when a lower round draft prospect is more successful then first or second rounders and the biggest one I can think of at the moment is Tom Brady, Talent is hard to evaluate because GT has a triple option offenses and trying to evaluate a WR (hill) in that offense is hard.
    Last edited by Americanmade2012; 04-24-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Americanmade2012 View Post
    I understand your opinion and feel differently but everyone said Brady was not a great talent and he proved us wrong so how do we know if talent is evaluated properly anyway? everyone has a different view on "talent" some like speed and others like stats/productivity
    But QB's are way more difficult to project in the NFL than a WR. When you look at Blackmon, he doesn't have the greatest of speed, he isn't really the biggest of guys either. So he isn't an Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, or AJ Green. To me he is similar to Anquan Boldin, and if he goes on to have the career that Boldin has had, or anything close, then he should be very proud. However, for a WR to be drafted in the top 10 these days, he has to have a combination of everything, size, speed, separation, great hands, great route running ability, etc... I am even struggling to say Floyd is a top 10 talent to be honest with you.

Nobody seen the Tom Brady thing coming, and I really don't know if he would have become the QB he is today had he been in another system and didn't get coached as well as he did, while he was developing (along with some other er.. things if you know what I mean). You can't compare that IMO.

But hey maybe I am totally wrong and he becomes a special player in the NFL, only time will tell.

Americanmade2012 Guest

But QB's are way more difficult to project in the NFL than a WR. When you look at Blackmon, he doesn't have the greatest of speed, he isn't really the biggest of guys either. So he isn't an Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, or AJ Green. To me he is similar to Anquan Boldin, and if he goes on to have the career that Boldin has had, or anything close, then he should be very proud. However, for a WR to be drafted in the top 10 these days, he has to have a combination of everything, size, speed, separation, great hands, great route running ability, etc... I am even struggling to say Floyd is a top 10 talent to be honest with you.

Nobody seen the Tom Brady thing coming, and I really don't know if he would have become the QB he is today had he been in another system and didn't get as coached as well as he did as he was developing (along with some other er.. things if you know what I mean). You can't compare that IMO.

But hey maybe I am totally wrong and he becomes a special player in the NFL, only time will tell.
    I agree with that we are all just ASSUMING the talent is there but depending on the team a player goes to and the system there it could make or break their careers. However, the guessing and projecting part is all part of the fun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Americanmade2012 View Post
    I agree with that we are all just ASSUMING the talent is there but depending on the team a player goes to and the system there it could make or break their careers. However, the guessing and projecting part is all part of the fun.
    I think a lot of it has to do with what systems/schemes players go to. Blackmon would have a hell of a lot productivity playing for a team like the Patriots then he would have playing in Baltimore. From how he played through out his college career, he appears to be a possession receiver who can run you over after the catch, a lot like Boldin. I think at this point he is a lot more explosive and quicker than Boldin off the line, but he really isn't a vertical receiver who can get great amounts of separation.

Blog Entries

I think Tannehill will go high. Not sure if that's such a shocker though. Teams always reach on QB's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I think Tannehill will go high. Not sure if that's such a shocker though. Teams always reach on QB's.
    I am going on record here that Tannehill is going to the browns 4th overall.

Blog Entries

I am going on record here that Tannehill is going to the browns 4th overall.
    Wouldn't surprise me. I'd rather roll the dice on Tannehill then keep McCoy and his noodle arm.

What is the consensus here on Brian Quick, the App State WR? I've mostly seen him referred to as a third or even fourth round project. But the kind of guy a bad drafting team will take higher because of his workouts. Despite the athleticism I understand he needs to learn to run routes, hold onto the ball, and block better. Can't believe I'm seeing a rumor of him going 26 to Houston. Glenn Clark was on WNST tonight smugly laughing at the idea he could be a second round option for the Ravens. Clark must have pledged eight or nine times there is zero chance he's still available at the bottom of the second. I don't see it and wonder if he could also be a third round option still despite the 11th hour hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    What is the consensus here on Brian Quick, the App State WR? I've mostly seen him referred to as a third or even fourth round project. But the kind of guy a bad drafting team will take higher because of his workouts. Despite the athleticism I understand he needs to learn to run routes, hold onto the ball, and block better. Can't believe I'm seeing a rumor of him going 26 to Houston. Glenn Clark was on WNST tonight smugly laughing at the idea he could be a second round option for the Ravens. Clark must have pledged eight or nine times there is zero chance he's still available at the bottom of the second. I don't see it and wonder if he could also be a third round option still despite the 11th hour hype.
    Most mocks or experts I've seen have him going 3rd maybe 4th like you said. The one big exception is Mel Kiper. He had him going in the mid 2nd in his 4.0 mock. I don't know if Mel has come out with his 5.0 yet.