Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PFF take on the Ravens drafts from 2008-2011

Interesting stuff in here.

Not only have I read ours, but I've checked out a lot of other teams...it's a good indicator of how some other young players are doing in the same time period.

One draft that will always bug me...despite getting Joe and Rice is that 2008 draft.

To have all those 3rd and 4th round picks and basically whiff on every single one of them is pretty upsetting to me. I remember waiting to hear the terms of that Jax trade and being pretty pissed that instead of setting ourselves up VERY nicely for the next years draft (getting a future #1), we just took a bunch of mid round picks in a draft that while solid, wasn't the incredible depth of say...the 2010 draft. We still probably could have gotten Flacco and Rice in that draft and had an additional 1st the following year if we didn't want all those 3rd and 4th rounders.

Re: PFF take on the Ravens drafts from 2008-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Not only have I read ours, but I've checked out a lot of other teams...it's a good indicator of how some other young players are doing in the same time period.

One draft that will always bug me...despite getting Joe and Rice is that 2008 draft.

To have all those 3rd and 4th round picks and basically whiff on every single one of them is pretty upsetting to me. I remember waiting to hear the terms of that Jax trade and being pretty pissed that instead of setting ourselves up VERY nicely for the next years draft (getting a future #1), we just took a bunch of mid round picks in a draft that while solid, wasn't the incredible depth of say...the 2010 draft. We still probably could have gotten Flacco and Rice in that draft and had an additional 1st the following year if we didn't want all those 3rd and 4th rounders.

Yeah, me too. When I recapped the draft history one of the things that struck me was that the Ravens traded down to get both Flacco and Rice, but they didn't really do anything with the extra picks. Fabian and Zby in particularly were misses.

Blog Entries

It's just much harder when you're picking late in the first round (apart from the 2008 draft). That's why I don't buy into these PFF draft gradings. You can go on and on about how great the Lions have drafted in the last couple of seasons, but it's because they where picking in the top ten every time. I think teams who consistently pick in the top 10 have their drafts way overrated. It's the teams like Baltimore and New England that have proven it over a decade of drafting great players, and a lot of them have been after #20.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Yeah, me too. When I recapped the draft history one of the things that struck me was that the Ravens traded down to get both Flacco and Rice, but they didn't really do anything with the extra picks. Fabian and Zby in particularly were misses.
    This is exactly why "trading down" isn't necessarily the best thing to do - it really has to be a situation where you get good value (denver - tebow) and/or get picks and get the same player you'd want to get anyhow (what likely would have happened with Bears).

If you're going to trade around, I agree that I'd prefer to get a 1st rounder the next year over a 3 and a 4 in the current year unless you REALLY think you're going to strike gold.

Look at the Patriots - trading down left and right and they've frankly been striking out far more often than not (but they did get gronk and trade for welker, etc.)....but now they're in a position with tons of picks and lots of flexibility to move around if they really want to do so...and might have the firepower at the end of Brady's career to go pick up a big prospect in the draft if that's the plan. The only thing that's really kept the team going is that Brady is an elite QB (elite meaning top 5). Put Eli Manning on the Patriots and I think you'd see entirely different results from that team (and Eli is probably just outside the top 5, in my mind). Colts are another good example - Manning was carrying a massively deficient/overpaid team to good records for the past 3-4 years.
    Just win baby...

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    It's just much harder when you're picking late in the first round (apart from the 2008 draft). That's why I don't buy into these PFF draft gradings. You can go on and on about how great the Lions have drafted in the last couple of seasons, but it's because they where picking in the top ten every time. I think teams who consistently pick in the top 10 have their drafts way overrated. It's the teams like Baltimore and New England that have proven it over a decade of drafting great players, and a lot of them have been after #20.
    It's not even a typical draft grade.

It's just categorizing the players and giving them kudos for value.

I don't know what the Lions or Pats have to do with this particular article...but if you go to their respective links, they give props to both the Lions and Pats so where they are drafting in the first round isn't relevant in their articles.

Blog Entries

Tom Zbikowski was just a guy who was suited for FS, on a team that had the best FS in the league.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I thought PFF didnt do "opinion" articles.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Tom Zbikowski was just a guy who was suited for FS, on a team that had the best FS in the league.
    We'll see how he performs in Indy. I never saw it. I thought Nakamura was the better player and more suited to step in for Reed than Zby. Zby was a strong safety in college -- I thought his real value was as a punt returner, but it never really clicked for him as a Ravens returner. I think the Colts plan on allowing him to compete for the SS role Melvin Bullitt vacated.
    Last edited by Shas; 04-24-2012 at 01:24 PM.

How do you know that Jacksonville even offered a future 1st? That was probably the best offer we got from anyone, and the pickings at #8 were pretty slim.

Blog Entries

It's not even a typical draft grade.

It's just categorizing the players and giving them kudos for value.

I don't know what the Lions or Pats have to do with this particular article...but if you go to their respective links, they give props to both the Lions and Pats so where they are drafting in the first round isn't relevant in their articles.
    I wasn't even trying to argue about PFF, I was just stating the fact that teams like the Lions have been getting a lot more draft recognition by people (not just PFF) because they where picking the top 10 elite players in the draft, while the Ravens have never really had the chance to do that and still draft really well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    We'll see how he performs in Indy. I never saw it. I thought Nakamura was the better player and more suited to step in for Reed than Zby. Zby was a strong safety in college -- I thought his real value was as a punt returner, but it never really clicked for him as a Ravens returner. I think the Colts plan on allowing him to compete for the SS role Melvin Bullitt vacated.
    Then, they won't get what they paid for.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    How do you know that Jacksonville even offered a future 1st? That was probably the best offer we got from anyone, and the pickings at #8 were pretty slim.
    Of course I don't know, nobody knows anything unless it happens.

But yes, I would have preferred to have gotten a better trade than what we got at the time.