Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Different Take on a Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    I'm not saying it isn't an interesting angle, and might illicit some interesting debate; but clearly it is "what the draft would be like if GMs were phenomenally bad at drafting and team building." If any team consistently followed this formula they'd be all but guaranteed to be the worst team in football.
    How do you figure that? If anything it would eliminate all the workout hype. Guys wouldn't fly up a board based on the Combine or a Pro Day. The biggest negative I see is getting rid of the human element. Those interviews are important. Character needs to be part of the equation and here it's not.

Some things just don't add up in his mock. Like he said he was drafting for need, but has Kuechly going to KC where they are pretty solid at LB.
    Also he doesn't have Claiborne going at 3 because the Vikes play in a pass happy division. Yet he drops Claiborne because he's not physical, not because he can't cover. Wouldn't you want a guy who can do all the coverages in a pass happy division?
    I call BS on his mock.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Some things just don't add up in his mock. Like he said he was drafting for need, but has Kuechly going to KC where they are pretty solid at LB.
    Also he doesn't have Claiborne going at 3 because the Vikes play in a pass happy division. Yet he drops Claiborne because he's not physical, not because he can't cover. Wouldn't you want a guy who can do all the coverages in a pass happy division?
    I call BS on his mock.
    Belcher is tiny. He's not even 240 pounds. Kuechly would be a big upgrade even if they wanted to keep Belcher as the nickle LB.

As for the Vikings, they play against Megatron and a bunch of physical Packers receivers plus some pass catching tight ends. I'd much rather have Gilmore over Claiborne. Honestly after watching Claiborne's entire college career I still don't understand why most have him as the top CB in this draft.

Call BS if you want but realize that Cosell is considered the best there is when it comes to breaking down tape. A ton of teams have tried to hire him away over the years but he's very happy at NFL Films.

they would more than likely become the best team in football because they would be picking purely the best available player. Of course this is assuming that the guys arent nut heads that shouldnt be taken in the first due to off field concerns etc etc.

His draft is effectively what all the best teams do, BPA regardles, see the ravens, giants etc as some examples, not reaching for need.

Imo the only one he done wrong is Tannehill, but i think he even admits hes not worth the pick yet, but could see them looking back and be glad off picking him
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipping Birdie View Post
    I'm not saying it isn't an interesting angle, and might illicit some interesting debate; but clearly it is "what the draft would be like if GMs were phenomenally bad at drafting and team building." If any team consistently followed this formula they'd be all but guaranteed to be the worst team in football.

Also he doesn't have Claiborne going at 3 because the Vikes play in a pass happy division. Yet he drops Claiborne because he's not physical, not because he can't cover. Wouldn't you want a guy who can do all the coverages in a pass happy division?I call BS on his mock.
    So your saying Gilmore cant do them all?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    So your saying Gilmore cant do them all?
    Not as well. And if you read Cosell's write up, it is pretty apparent he does not think so either.

but he can still do them, you inferred he cant
    Not as well. And if you read Cosell's write up, it is pretty apparent he does not think so either.

Blog Entries

If teams did it the way he does it, that would only solve part of the problem. As has been previously mentioned, character plays a major role in who you draft, along with system specificity. For example, based on tape, Sergio Kindle would have been a top 15 pick. A team would not have improved based on that pick.

By the way, wasn't this already being discussed in another thread yesterday?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Cosell definitely has some different views. He has Floyd as the top WR and Gilmore and Jenkins ahead of Claiborne at CB. The Ravens still end up with Hightower but that's because the Steelers take Zeitler who is also way above Konz. It's really worth going through.
    Well he isn't really "way above", as he is only going five picks later. In fact Cossell even states that he really likes Konz as a center, and thinks he can play guard. For me I'd rather go with Hightower if he is on the board, but I still think Konz would not be a terrible pick, and could even be a solid pick similar to the Ben Grubbs pick back in 07.

I realize Cosell's pedigree. But if he is saying he is basing it on team needs as well as tape, then KC really really needs DL help over LB, where they have two pro bowlers.
    Let's also realize that Cosell has lots of help at NFL films breaking down tape. He may not be doing as much of it personally as you think.
    Heck I didn't even get into his total dismissal of being able to get off blocks for a LB in the NFL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Well he isn't really "way above", as he is only going five picks later. In fact Cossell even states that he really likes Konz as a center, and thinks he can play guard. For me I'd rather go with Hightower if he is on the board, but I still think Konz would not be a terrible pick, and could even be a solid pick similar to the Ben Grubbs pick back in 07.
    How many times have you seen Zeitler ahead of Konz? Only now are you starting to see some putting Zeitler in the bottom of the 1st round. 5 spots is significant. According to the draft value chart you are looking at a late 2nd round pick just to move up from where Konz goes to get Zeitler. To say that Zeitler is worth a late 2nd round pick more than Konz means a lot.

Blog Entries

I realize Cosell's pedigree. But if he is saying he is basing it on team needs as well as tape, then KC really really needs DL help over LB, where they have two pro bowlers.
    Let's also realize that Cosell has lots of help at NFL films breaking down tape. He may not be doing as much of it personally as you think.
    Heck I didn't even get into his total dismissal of being able to get off blocks for a LB in the NFL.
    LB could be classed as a need for KC tbh, if they get that one more guy to fill their LB corps, they could have a very very talented defense. The draft is actually very very deep on DT's, so imagine Kuechly in the first, and maybe a guy like Alameda Ta'amu in the second to play nose tackle. You could be looking at a very dominant defense in the west. The team really has very little holes anyway, I think if they get a guard who is a run grader in the 3rd then it would pretty much fill all their biggest needs.