Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Different Take on a Mock Draft

Greg Cosell is not a reporter. He's been the top analyst for NFL Films for over 30 years. His mock draft is a little different. It's not based on who he thinks the teams will take like all the others. Instead it's based on who he would take after breaking down the tape. It's definitely worth checking out and it starts of with a bang since he has RGIII ahead of Luck and going to the Colts

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-d...P11_hot_topics

Blog Entries

Re: Different Take on a Mock Draft

I read it yesterday and agree on the QB switch - funny how some say Luck is the best QB to come out in a decade but Cossell thinks RGIII is a better pick.

Pat Kirwan did this same approach on Movin' the Chains and a lot of posters trashed their picks.

It's such a hype machine surrounding some players there really is no 'right' pick

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Cosell definitely has some different views. He has Floyd as the top WR and Gilmore and Jenkins ahead of Claiborne at CB. The Ravens still end up with Hightower but that's because the Steelers take Zeitler who is also way above Konz. It's really worth going through.

Greg Cosell's goes into more about his mock here http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/c...ks-mock-draft/

This seems more like a ranking of first round prospects than predicting where players actually go.

Having Courtney Upshaw in his first round and not Nick Perry is just dumb imo.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Greg Cosell's goes into more about his mock here http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/c...ks-mock-draft/

This seems more like a ranking of first round prospects than predicting where players actually go.

Having Courtney Upshaw in his first round and not Nick Perry is just dumb imo.
    he's not tryin to predict where players go. He's made that clear. He's basing the picks on teams needs and on tape. Nothing else is taken into consideration. It's an unbiased, purely tape mock.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    he's not tryin to predict where players go. He's made that clear. He's basing the picks on teams needs and on tape. Nothing else is taken into consideration. It's an unbiased, purely tape mock.
    I get that. I'm sure this is mostly based on watching tape.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Cosell definitely has some different views. He has Floyd as the top WR.
    I too think Floyd is the top WR in the draft. I haven't been more impressed by a WR coming out since Calvin Johnson, and Johnson was taken 2nd overall in 2007. I think Floyd's game is more similar to, say, Anquan Boldin. More based on strength than speed/height to get separation. But if I'm Cleveland it's not Blackmon v Richardson I'm debating at four, it's Floyd v. Richardson. Although, that said, I'd still take Richardson. I'd be tempted, however, to field offers and be happy to slide back and take Floyd later and pocket the extra picks. But with 13 picks, I don't know if the Browns really need more. I noticed DeCosta said the value is in rounds two and three. Browns already have picks 4, 22, 37, 67 and 100. Maybe they drop back from four and come up from the later rounds and get themselves six or seven players in the first three days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I too think Floyd is the top WR in the draft. I haven't been more impressed by a WR coming out since Calvin Johnson, and Johnson was taken 2nd overall in 2007. I think Floyd's game is more similar to, say, Anquan Boldin. More based on strength than speed/height to get separation. But if I'm Cleveland it's not Blackmon v Richardson I'm debating at four, it's Floyd v. Richardson. Although, that said, I'd still take Richardson. I'd be tempted, however, to field offers and be happy to slide back and take Floyd later and pocket the extra picks. But with 13 picks, I don't know if the Browns really need more. I noticed DeCosta said the value is in rounds two and three. Browns already have picks 4, 22, 37, 67 and 100. Maybe they drop back from four and come up from the later rounds and get themselves six or seven players in the first three days.
    Ditto. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Michael Floyd taken ahead of Blackmon.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Did you mean Blackmon's game being similar to Boldin? That I see. Don't see Floyd that way though. Floyd reminds me of KWII when he splits out as a wide receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Did you mean Blackmon's game being similar to Boldin? That I see. Don't see Floyd that way though. Floyd reminds me of KWII when he splits out as a wide receiver.
    No, I meant Floyd reminds me some of Boldin.

Coach Kelly ran the spread and that put Floyd out on the edge a lot last season. But he also played in Weiss's pro-style offense and played inside a lot, too. He's played a lot of snaps at all three positions, the X, Y, and Z. He's not a prototype slot receiver, but like Boldin, may be best there. While he will go up for balls, his game isn't really outrunning or out jumping defenders. When I watch him on tape invariably he is catching the ball in traffic on drag routes or splitting the seam, and he has that knack of bulldozing his way down field after the catch.

Floyd is two inches taller than Boldin, but both are about 220. Blackmon is Bodin's height but I think he's 10 or 15 lbs lighter. I see how you compare Blackmon to Boldin in that he's also not a blazer and relies on route running. But I don't think he nearly is comparable to Boldin with the ball in his hands after the catch. And I think he's more the type of receiver to acrobatically adjust to the ball in the air -- a guy you throw the fade to. He's not nearly as aggressive, whereas I think Floyd has that brooding chip-on-his-shoulder attitude when the ball is in his hands, which I see in Boldin too.

I really do like the Hightower pick more and more. As long as we get a guard in the 2nd then I will be pretty happy with Hightower. Just annoys me if we pick him that we're paying McClain who won't even start, Hightower will either start from game 1 or take over. His tape doesn't lie, he's a tank and though may not be the next Ray Lewis he will be one hell of a linebacker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    He's made that clear. He's basing the picks on teams needs and on tape. Nothing else is taken into consideration.
    I'm not saying it isn't an interesting angle, and might illicit some interesting debate; but clearly it is "what the draft would be like if GMs were phenomenally bad at drafting and team building." If any team consistently followed this formula they'd be all but guaranteed to be the worst team in football.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.