Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

Richard Deitsch has a nice preview of the draft coverage expected to be presented by ESPN and the NFLN.

In it he reveals that the networks have agreed to stop showing shots of players on their cell phones talking to the team that is about to draft them, because Roger Goodell and the league believe it ruins the suspense of Roger stepping up to the podium and revealing the big surprise.

They did say however that they would still tip-off viewers if their "crack reporters" (ie, Mort, Schefter, LaCranfora) get a scoop.

Personally, I'm not that bothered by the shots of guys on cell phones. It's kind of nice to see the kids react when they first learn they are picked. That's more interesting than seeing them walk on stage and slip on a baseball hat while Deion Sanders asks them inane questions. And, if they are going to spill the beans anyway, I say go ahead and show the cell phone scenes. That's just me.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I mostly stick to NFLN coverage because I am not a fan of Chris "I remember my first" Berman.

I noticed from the linked story that Billick will be on the main set Friday and Saturday for NFLN. Like his takes. But Chuckie is okay too on ESPN.

As much as I like the hometown guy in Mel, and I do like him, I like Mayock a tad better.

What say you?

Blog Entries

Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

I kinda like the surprise. You can still show the kid's reaction afterwards.

Blog Entries

I heard Albert Breer over the weekend say that the NFL wants to turn this into a TV show. They've brought in TV consultants and are taking their suggestions very seriously. Ratings have been good since the start of this new format even with people like myself boycotting it last year. That translates into money. I'm sure every year they will continue to tweek things to make it more TV audience friendly.

Blog Entries

It's clear that they are trying to turn this into a huge TV event, moreso than last year's. In doing so, it would make sense to hide the kids on the phone but I also kind of like to see their reaction so at least show it afterwards.

OT- what is up with Billick's white beard, he looks 70!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

In years past I can recall having discussions with whoever I may have been watching with about the shots of players on their cell phones and how that does take away from the suspense. I'm actually glad they are doing something about it.

Blog Entries

All you have to do is go on Twitter, and I'm sure guys like Schefter will be tweeting the picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It's clear that they are trying to turn this into a huge TV event, moreso than last year's. In doing so, it would make sense to hide the kids on the phone but I also kind of like to see their reaction so at least show it afterwards.

OT- what is up with Billick's white beard, he looks 70!
    That's what Kyle Boller can do to you.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'm glad they are making this change. It totally ruined to suspense of the picks and annoyed the crap out of me. There is no reason they cant still show the players reactions after the pick is announced. Kudos to the commish on this

Blog Entries

I want to be surprised.

I like Surprises- Toon Face.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    That's what Kyle Boller can do to you.
    Well today he doesn't have it any more. Guess that's how he rolls.

Stover is going to announce the Ravens 2nd and 3rd round picks: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...tory?track=rss

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Am I the only person on earth that likes Chris Berman?
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I heard Albert Breer over the weekend say that the NFL wants to turn this into a TV show.
    Maybe it will get to the point where they call three players to the podium and only one gets a hat, and the other two have to hug Goodell and return to the green room. Or maybe the team can pick a player and the fans have five minutes to vote him off the team. Reality TV meets sports entertainment.