Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,179
    Blog Entries
    2

    Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."



    Richard Deitsch has a nice preview of the draft coverage expected to be presented by ESPN and the NFLN.

    In it he reveals that the networks have agreed to stop showing shots of players on their cell phones talking to the team that is about to draft them, because Roger Goodell and the league believe it ruins the suspense of Roger stepping up to the podium and revealing the big surprise.

    They did say however that they would still tip-off viewers if their "crack reporters" (ie, Mort, Schefter, LaCranfora) get a scoop.

    Personally, I'm not that bothered by the shots of guys on cell phones. It's kind of nice to see the kids react when they first learn they are picked. That's more interesting than seeing them walk on stage and slip on a baseball hat while Deion Sanders asks them inane questions. And, if they are going to spill the beans anyway, I say go ahead and show the cell phone scenes. That's just me.

    I don't know about the rest of you, but I mostly stick to NFLN coverage because I am not a fan of Chris "I remember my first" Berman.

    I noticed from the linked story that Billick will be on the main set Friday and Saturday for NFLN. Like his takes. But Chuckie is okay too on ESPN.

    As much as I like the hometown guy in Mel, and I do like him, I like Mayock a tad better.

    What say you?




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,358

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    I kinda like the surprise. You can still show the kid's reaction afterwards.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,635
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    I heard Albert Breer over the weekend say that the NFL wants to turn this into a TV show. They've brought in TV consultants and are taking their suggestions very seriously. Ratings have been good since the start of this new format even with people like myself boycotting it last year. That translates into money. I'm sure every year they will continue to tweek things to make it more TV audience friendly.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    15,312
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    It's clear that they are trying to turn this into a huge TV event, moreso than last year's. In doing so, it would make sense to hide the kids on the phone but I also kind of like to see their reaction so at least show it afterwards.

    OT- what is up with Billick's white beard, he looks 70!
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  5. #5

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    In years past I can recall having discussions with whoever I may have been watching with about the shots of players on their cell phones and how that does take away from the suspense. I'm actually glad they are doing something about it.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    9,150
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    All you have to do is go on Twitter, and I'm sure guys like Schefter will be tweeting the picks.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I heard Albert Breer over the weekend say that the NFL wants to turn this into a TV show.
    Maybe it will get to the point where they call three players to the podium and only one gets a hat, and the other two have to hug Goodell and return to the green room. Or maybe the team can pick a player and the fans have five minutes to vote him off the team. Reality TV meets sports entertainment.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,179
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I heard Albert Breer over the weekend say that the NFL wants to turn this into a TV show. They've brought in TV consultants and are taking their suggestions very seriously.
    I'll have to wait and see what the concept is. It's already a "show" so I'm not sure how it would change.

    I guess I could see the networks developing a "series" but I would think that would be in addition to the draft (and the combine), not instead.

    What I'm imagining is basically a series similar to HBO's "Hard Knocks" where they pick a dozen kids to follow, and film how they prepare for the draft. Show them with the trainers. Their interaction with scouts. At the combine. Hiring agents. Getting grilled by Gruden in the film room. Interacting with their girlfriends and families and friends. Basically from the summer before their senior years all the way through the final college season, the combine, the draft, the rookie symposium and learning about finances, moving to the new town, rookie camp, and into the start of their rookie seasons.

    To me, that would be more interesting than a draft-only show. Can't they always just add new segments to what they do now as they think of them? I'd be more interested in a documentary about getting drafted. They could pick all sorts of different types. The kid with the troubled background. The elite blue chipper. The small school guy fighting to get noticed. The 28-year old Mormon with a wife and kids. The poor kid who left early to help his family.

    I have a friend who was among a handful of people featured in a PBS documentary that started filming in the late 1970s. They picked a bunch of bright high school kids who wanted to be doctors. My friend David was one of the kids. They showed what they did in high school to get into good colleges. And then they came back every four years and filmed another two-hour update...in college...in medical school....in residency...as physicians. It spanned 16 years. It was interesting to see how their professional and private lives were all over the place.

    Would be an interesting twist to pick some elite high school football players and follow them by checking back in every few years.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,179
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Maybe it will get to the point where they call three players to the podium and only one gets a hat, and the other two have to hug Goodell and return to the green room. Or maybe the team can pick a player and the fans have five minutes to vote him off the team. Reality TV meets sports entertainment.
    In all seriousness, it does make me wonder why they don't try some text-driven polls asking fans who should their team take with the upcoming pick, or asking to vote thumbs up or down on a pick just made.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    15,312
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    In all seriousness, it does make me wonder why they don't try some text-driven polls asking fans who should their team take with the upcoming pick, or asking to vote thumbs up or down on a pick just made.
    It's headed that way; makes perfect sense
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  11. #11

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Maybe it will get to the point where they call three players to the podium and only one gets a hat, and the other two have to hug Goodell and return to the green room. Or maybe the team can pick a player and the fans have five minutes to vote him off the team. Reality TV meets sports entertainment.




  12. #12

    Re: Roger: "Hey, ESPN & NFLN, stop ruining my big surprise."

    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Richard Deitsch has a nice preview of the draft coverage expected to be presented by ESPN and the NFLN.

    In it he reveals that the networks have agreed to stop showing shots of players on their cell phones talking to the team that is about to draft them, because Roger Goodell and the league believe it ruins the suspense of Roger stepping up to the podium and revealing the big surprise.

    They did say however that they would still tip-off viewers if their "crack reporters" (ie, Mort, Schefter, LaCranfora) get a scoop.

    Personally, I'm not that bothered by the shots of guys on cell phones. It's kind of nice to see the kids react when they first learn they are picked. That's more interesting than seeing them walk on stage and slip on a baseball hat while Deion Sanders asks them inane questions. And, if they are going to spill the beans anyway, I say go ahead and show the cell phone scenes. That's just me.

    I don't know about the rest of you, but I mostly stick to NFLN coverage because I am not a fan of Chris "I remember my first" Berman.

    I noticed from the linked story that Billick will be on the main set Friday and Saturday for NFLN. Like his takes. But Chuckie is okay too on ESPN.

    As much as I like the hometown guy in Mel, and I do like him, I like Mayock a tad better.

    What say you?
    I say the same thing has been happening since the draft was televised and it is no big deal. There is still suspense leading right up to that shot of the phone call.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland