Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 15161718 LastLast

Thread: NHL Playoffs

Blog Entries

Re: NHL Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    The Kopitar goal in Game 3 was a thing of beauty in every detail.
    We're not dead yet......but I heard the Coyotes say that too before they got pushed aside. Devils at least proved they can score more than 1 goal in a game

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    We're not dead yet......but I heard the Coyotes say that too before they got pushed aside. Devils at least proved they can score more than 1 goal in a game
    I thought the Kings were a little off their game last night, but that was in part due to the play of the Devils. New Jersey really put together some nice stretches where they were dominant, and the Kings were just missing on their opportunities.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I thought the Kings were a little off their game last night, but that was in part due to the play of the Devils. New Jersey really put together some nice stretches where they were dominant, and the Kings were just missing on their opportunities.
    That's how I saw it too. The Devils actually scored a nice clean goal on Quick which hadn't happened before. I'm glad they didn't roll over but it will be the upset of the century if they somehow come back and win this Cup.

The Kings have now lost three games this playoffs and all three have been Game Fours.

I think they'll clinch in Jersey, but I'd really like to see a team win on home ice. It's been since '07...the crowd is so much better on a home ice clinch.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I've never wanted a team to lose more (other then the Pens) than I do the Devils.

Such a dirty hit that they are paying for in spades.

2-0 thanks to two major penalty goals.

My earliest memories of NHL hockey, which I didn't start following until the 90's, was of Claude Lemieux in his Devils uniform being one evil sum' bitch.

Always hated 'em, glad to see the Kings win.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

Devils at least made it into a series but they completely melted down last night. Congrats to the Kings. Quick grew up near where I live so I couldn't exactly hate the Kings winning a Cup on his back.

8. Re: NHL Playoffs

It has to be a tough pill to swallow for the Devils. The 5 minute boarding call ended their season pretty quickly. Giving up three straight goals during that penalty was it. Hopefully Brodeur will return and not go out giving up 5 goals. Pretty crazy that this was only the second time an American born captain has hoisted the cup. Congrats to the Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Such a dirty hit that they are paying for in spades.
    That was a perfect example of how one guy a little overzealous and out of control can screw over an entire team. It was the NFL version of the personal foul that negates a scoring opportunity and impacts the momentum and outcome of the game.

It's interesting that the Conn Smythe winner hardly played a factor in the clinching game. Lotta people blaming Brenier for the penalty, and that was what broke the game open. But let's be real. The Devils were finished last night no matter what. They couldn't generate any sort of pressure offensively. In a game they lost 6-1, they generated a TOTAL of 18 shots. Something like five going into the half-way point of the second period. Even in the final ten minutes of the game, when it was still only three points and they were essentially desperate, they were having incredible difficulty moving the puck into the zone and then keeping it there. Last night was a blowout in every sense of the word.

Loved seeing the Kings win it in the fashion they did. Lotta people trying to dis what they did by saying they were just a game out of the three seed. Yeah, even if that were the case, there were still ten other teams that scored more points in the regular season than they did. And what they did in the playoffs...they didn't just advance. They didn't just beat a 1 and then a 5 and a 7 or something like that. They absolutely obliterated a 1/2/3 before going on and strongly controlling the Eastern Conference Champions. They went 16-4 with a 26 year old goalie who set a record for best GAA in a Cup-winning playoff series. There's a legitimate argument to be made that this was the most dominant post-season performance by a hockey team ever.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    It's interesting that the Conn Smythe winner hardly played a factor in the clinching game. Lotta people blaming Brenier for the penalty, and that was what broke the game open. But let's be real. The Devils were finished last night no matter what. They couldn't generate any sort of pressure offensively. In a game they lost 6-1, they generated a TOTAL of 18 shots. Something like five going into the half-way point of the second period. Even in the final ten minutes of the game, when it was still only three points and they were essentially desperate, they were having incredible difficulty moving the puck into the zone and then keeping it there. Last night was a blowout in every sense of the word.

Loved seeing the Kings win it in the fashion they did. Lotta people trying to dis what they did by saying they were just a game out of the three seed. Yeah, even if that were the case, there were still ten other teams that scored more points in the regular season than they did. And what they did in the playoffs...they didn't just advance. They didn't just beat a 1 and then a 5 and a 7 or something like that. They absolutely obliterated a 1/2/3 before going on and strongly controlling the Eastern Conference Champions. They went 16-4 with a 26 year old goalie who set a record for best GAA in a Cup-winning playoff series. There's a legitimate argument to be made that this was the most dominant post-season performance by a hockey team ever.

- C -
    The Kings were very good but most dominant post season ever? No way. The 87-88 Oilers lost 2 games in 4 rounds of playoffs. I'm pretty sure one of those great Canadiens teams from the 60's went undefeated in the playoffs but there were a lot less rounds back then.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Kings were very good but most dominant post season ever? No way. The 87-88 Oilers lost 2 games in 4 rounds of playoffs. I'm pretty sure one of those great Canadiens teams from the 60's went undefeated in the playoffs but there were a lot less rounds back then.
    The 87-88 Oilers are probably the only other team legitimately in the conversation, but they didn't face as tough a road as this year's Kings team did. The Oilers were 3rd overall in points that season and beat the 1, 4, 5 and 13th in points in 18 games. The Kings were 13th in overall points this season, and beat the 1, 2, 8 and 11th in points in 20 games.

I'm not saying the Kings post-season was definitely more dominant. I'm saying they belong in the conversation. Had they swept the Flyers, I don't think it's even a question.

- C -

www.oblongspheroid.com