Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ravens looking at Dennis Dixon?

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...-pursue-dixon/

Nice to see that they definitely are checking out Jason Brown.

Dennis Dixon is surprising though.

I doubt it happens, but I think it's good that they're looking to bring in competition. Makes everyone better.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Ravens looking at Dennis Dixon?

Here is the original report ....

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/footb...9bb30f31a.html

Their entire report of the Ravens having interest in Dixon revolves around one sentence devoid of any source.

No way it's true and Harbs is on record being happy with Taylor.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 04-16-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Blog Entries

I've no doubt they're extremely happy with Taylor, but I'd be ok with them bringing in another QB for a pre-season QB.

Competition makes everyone better. I truly believe that.

I liked what I saw out of Dixon when they played us here.

I'm not sure why he fell so far out of favor in Pittsburgh, but I wouldn't be opposed to him coming here.

Taylor's fine, I guess, but he never seemed to be a guy who is so good that we can't find someone better at the same price for the same spot. Regardless of whether Harbaugh is happy with him.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Blog Entries

They got to see Dixon first hand in a very close game. A lot of teams still do keep 3 QBs on the roster. It's not a bad idea to consider

I would love to see Jason Brown back in Baltimore, but you gotta think Carolina would be a place that would really appeal as Brown is from NC.

Dennis Dixon? I'm just curious as to why the Ravens would feel the need to bring in a guy who would likely be the 3rd string QB when last year they were completely fine with having Tyrod Taylor as the backup and no 3rd stringer on the roster. Taylor has one year experience under his belt, you would think if the Ravens were okay with two QBs last year they would certainly be okay with 2 this year.

Blog Entries

Im just leery why the Steelers feel comfortable letting him go. Batch is older than dirt and Troy Smith is garbage. I feel like maybe they know something we dont if theyre actually entertaining the thought of having Smith instead of him. With that said i cant say id be upset with him coming here. He did show enough promise to be a decent backup in spot duty, and still young enough to improve
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They got to see Dixon first hand in a very close game. A lot of teams still do keep 3 QBs on the roster. It's not a bad idea to consider
    Yeah, this wouldn't necessarily mean that they are looking to replace Taylor.

Just a good safety net and to get some competition for the 2nd spot.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im just leery why the Steelers feel comfortable letting him go. Batch is older than dirt and Troy Smith is garbage. I feel like maybe they know something we dont if theyre actually entertaining the thought of having Smith instead of him. With that said i cant say id be upset with him coming here. He did show enough promise to be a decent backup in spot duty, and still young enough to improve
    They didn't "let him go." He was a free agent. The Steelers determined at the time that they didn't need to re-sign him at the contract he wanted. It's as simple as that. Dixon was quoted recently as saying he wanted to go somewhere where he would have a chance to compete for actual playing time. I don't blame him at all, I think Dixon is one of the top backup QBs in the league, potentially better than a couple of starting QBs out there (I'm looking at you Colt McCoy.)

Dixon was Pittsburgh's #1 backup in 2009 and 2010 and played pretty well in every game he played. He would have been the starter for all 4 games Ben was suspended in 2010 if he didn't get hurt in game 2. He's clearly a capable player that Pittsburgh liked, the fact that they didn't re-sign him says more about their checkbook than his performance.

The Ravens were fine with Tyrod as the backup last year, but maybe that was because they didn't see any better options on the horizon at that time. At this time, they might see Dixon as a better option. See, teams don't think about things in a vacuum. They're constantly re-evaluating and re-figuring their plans. I personally would feel better with Dixon as a backup than Tyrod, but it probably doesn't matter because I don't see the Ravens prioritizing backup QB w/their limited cap space.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    They didn't "let him go." He was a free agent. The Steelers determined at the time that they didn't need to re-sign him at the contract he wanted. It's as simple as that. Dixon was quoted recently as saying he wanted to go somewhere where he would have a chance to compete for actual playing time. I don't blame him at all, I think Dixon is one of the top backup QBs in the league, potentially better than a couple of starting QBs out there (I'm looking at you Colt McCoy.)

Dixon was Pittsburgh's #1 backup in 2009 and 2010 and played pretty well in every game he played. He would have been the starter for all 4 games Ben was suspended in 2010 if he didn't get hurt in game 2. He's clearly a capable player that Pittsburgh liked, the fact that they didn't re-sign him says more about their checkbook than his performance.

The Ravens were fine with Tyrod as the backup last year, but maybe that was because they didn't see any better options on the horizon at that time. At this time, they might see Dixon as a better option. See, teams don't think about things in a vacuum. They're constantly re-evaluating and re-figuring their plans. I personally would feel better with Dixon as a backup than Tyrod, but it probably doesn't matter because I don't see the Ravens prioritizing backup QB w/their limited cap space.
    By let him go i meant not actively try to resign him for the very reasons you mentioned. He seemed to be pretty darn good the little bit we saw and i would think with the beating and injuries Ben took last year they would have prioritized him in some capacity as they dont have many other options even if they are cap limited. From the way it seems they didnt offer him much of anything and it looks like hes still only being considered a backup amongst the teams that are interested so that limits his contract demands greatly. you have to pay a backup QB regardless you might as well pay the one thats worth it.

I think everyone was surprised by having Tyrod be the only backup last year. obviously i think if a better option arose theyd jump on it and arent just set with Tyrod because they were last year. whether or not i feel better about him than dixon? i guess i can say dixon would make me more comfortable because he has some experience but that doesnt really limit what Tyrod is capable of either. I dont think if Flacco went down for the season either of them could keep us in the playoff picture so at that point youre really splitting hairs at the value they bring.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 04-16-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    By let him go i meant not actively try to resign him for the very reasons you mentioned. He seemed to be pretty darn good the little bit we saw and i would think with the beating and injuries Ben took last year they would have prioritized him in some capacity as they dont have many other options even if they are cap limited. From the way it seems they didnt offer him much of anything and it looks like hes still only being considered a backup amongst the teams that are interested so that limits his contract demands greatly. you have to pay a backup QB regardless you might as well pay the one thats worth it.

I think everyone was surprised by having Tyrod be the only backup last year. obviously i think if a better option arose theyd jump on it and arent just set with Tyrod because they were last year. whether or not i feel better about him than dixon? i guess i can say dixon would make me more comfortable because he has some experience but that doesnt really limit what Tyrod is capable of either. I dont think if Flacco went down for the season either of them could keep us in the playoff picture so at that point youre really splitting hairs at the value they bring.
    That probably has, or could have, a lot to do with Todd Haley.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dixon follow Arians to Indy and back up Andrew Luck. Dixon is probably better than both Orlovsky and Curtis Painter.