Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: lee evans to jacksonville

Quote Originally Posted by Whitty Hutton View Post
    Funny how I dont see Patriots fans wanting to crucify Wes Welker and boo him. Do they actualy have more class than Ravens fans? It was ONE drop. It's not like Cundiff, who had shown several times he couldnt handle the pressure. Plus who knows what would have happened if he hadnt made that huge one hand grab on 3rd down in the Texans game
    Save me the high horse crap. Difference is Welker's was actually a tough (but catchable) pass. He had to jump, twist and try to catch the ball. If Brady would have threw slightly more accurate pass he probably would have caught it. Evans had a perfect pass in his hands and dropped it/ let it get knocked out. The hell with the talk with the DB knocked it out, he did, but he was desperate and did what he was supposed to do. If Evans would have did what he was supposed to do the Ravens would have been in the SB.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im really not sure where this "celebration" talk is coming from. His hands were coming up to secure the ball because the DB was trying to swipe it away. DB got there first. It was a good Defensive play and Evans should have secured it better/quicker, but i dont think anything in the video suggests he was trying to celebrate.

Lee Evans dropped pass
    Agreed, it was so fast he hadn't secured it yet. Not sure why I tortured myself by watching it again though

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: Lee Evans to Jacksonville

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Agreed, it was so fast he hadn't secured it yet. Not sure why I tortured myself by watching it again though
    I was going to put a disclaimer with it "will cause severe emotion". whether that be anger or sadness or whatever.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I won't boo the guy, but that one play may go down as one of the biggest chokes in Ravens history.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: lee evans to jacksonville

Welker's pass was no tougher than one he'd catch 9/10 times. Receivers drop balls. Basketball players miss freethrows. These things happen. But to just toss money and a draft pick and act like Evans is the worst thing to happen to the Ravens is crazy

Difference between Welker and Evans is that Welker was/is a huge contributer on that team. Evans had FOUR catches all year, and was a total bust even prior to that last pass.

I looked at the replay again today, not sure why. He has time to secure the ball, heck, he almost has his second foot down before the db swats it out. It also confirms what I originally thought, that he is raising the ball up to get ready to celebrate. He starts turning his head toward the crowd in the back of the endzone. If he was trying to secure the ball he wouldn't be raising it up, btw, he be cradling his arms around it where he caught it. That makes no sense at all to say he was raising his arms to get a better grip. If anything, the way the ball is positioned, he'd have been lowering them to get a better grip.

It looks to me that he had no idea the db was going to swat at the ball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Difference between Welker and Evans is that Welker was/is a huge contributer on that team. Evans had FOUR catches all year, and was a total bust even prior to that last pass.

I looked at the replay again today, not sure why. He has time to secure the ball, heck, he almost has his second foot down before the db swats it out. It also confirms what I originally thought, that he is raising the ball up to get ready to celebrate. He starts turning his head toward the crowd in the back of the endzone. If he was trying to secure the ball he wouldn't be raising it up, btw, he be cradling his arms around it where he caught it. That makes no sense at all to say he was raising his arms to get a better grip. If anything, the way the ball is positioned, he'd have been lowering them to get a better grip.

I agree that comparing Welker to Evans isn't very fair because Welker is a guy who has given the Patriots a stupid amount of production over the course of the last couple of seasons. So much, in fact, that they haven't really felt the urgency to get another decent receiver for a few years now after releasing Randy Moss.

However, both of those dropped/stripped passes will go down in infamy. The different - to me - is that Lee Evans HAD the pass and didn't secure the ball. That was a beautifully thrown pass from Flacco and Evans had it in the end zone. Welker's dropped pass came on him leaping up & back while twisting his body. Yes, the pass hit him in the hands, but that was still a pretty tough pass for a 5'9" receiver to come down with.

He had a fundamental slip up.

Anytime a receiver catches a ball in traffic they're coached to protect the ball by covering it up because the first thing a defensive back is going to do is try and dislodge it. He got both hands on it, was trying to focus too much on getting his feet in bounds, and Sterling Moore made a hell of a play by slapping the arm/ball and dislodging it.

Blog Entries

I think hes trying to shield the ball by turning away from the defender and bringing the ball up to his left armpit or chest area just like one would when securing it while running. certainly not turning to raise his arms in celebration. if it was throw directly into his gut maybe i could see going down and hunching over to secure it, but with the throw leading him to spin and continued running he had to secure like one would while theyre running. I mean honestly who secures the ball at their bellybutton, its not even a natural position of your arms to hold it that low. Im pretty confident he knew the swipe was coming, which is why he was spinning away from the defender. I dont think it was because he was celebrating but he certainly didnt secure it quickly enough in that instance.
    -JAB

Only because he was hurt half the year, and when he came back was thrown to what 8 times? If you gonna spend a 4th rounder for him yyou should atleast give him a chance to be used before declaring him a bust. At the end of the day it probably doesnt matter because Cam is incompetent. Wouldnt be surprised to see dude go for 700-1,000 yards with inferior offensive talent around him smh

Blog Entries

What does it matter where he goes or what he does there?

The Ravens are a business too and bringing back a receiver who basically ended the season, for all intents and purposes, may not be a great business move on the Ravens part. Just saying.

I personally think if it weren't for that roster bonus he was due he'd still be with the team. However, he probably got a better offer from Jacksonville than he would have gotten in Baltimore and it gives him the opportunity to start over with a clean slate elsewhere.

Looking back on the trade, it was a wasted trade, but at the time it made a lot of sense. Thankfully, due to comp picks, the Ravens recouped a 4th rounder. So, it's kind of a moot point.

Blog Entries

See, from those angles, he's already got the ball very snug in his gut, and he has no reason to raise the arms up. There is no doubt in my mind that he relaxes the grip too, with his right arm just before Moore swats down. That ball should have been caught and secured, there is no real excuse for it.

It totally looks like he was about to raise the ball in his left hand to celebrate.