Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: What do we think of this little story?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I wouldn't waste a first round pick and a bunch of money for him, even if I have the cap room Cinci does. Look at his attitude, I don't care how good he is, he is not worth that kind of money and a draft pick, Ozzie wants winners. Wallace isn't in the same class as Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson.

I'd rather draft my own guy, like Kendall Wight and develop him along side AJ Green, both much more hard working guys with much better attitudes than Wallace.
    Even if you had a chance to weaken a division rival at the same time?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Even if you had a chance to weaken a division rival at the same time?
    I don't know about that because yes the Steelers will be without a top tier WR in the league, but at the same time they are losing a pre madonna and gaining a first rounder which could end up being a stud. Roethlisberger is good enough to make things happen without Wallace. So no I wouldn't do it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Pat Kirwin said that he did sign a RFA back when he was a GM. He waited until an hour before the deadline to do it just to try and put pressure on the other team.
    I'm not certain what the rules were at the time Kirwin says he waited until the last second, but a rule of the restricted market is that there is a seven-day period for "right of first refusal" eliminating the possibility to "pressure" another team with a truncated time frame to make a decision.

I wouldn't waste a first round pick and a bunch of money for him, even if I have the cap room Cinci does. Look at his attitude, I don't care how good he is, he is not worth that kind of money and a draft pick, Ozzie wants winners. Wallace isn't in the same class as Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson.

I'd rather draft my own guy, like Kendall Wight and develop him along side AJ Green, both much more hard working guys with much better attitudes than Wallace.
    But Kendall Wright has never stepped foot on an NFL field. Mike Wallace is ALREADY one of the very best deep threats in the league. He's not at the Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald/Andre Johnson level, but I would argue he is right below that. He's realistically a top 10 WR in the league, and Wright is not. Wright is 3 years younger than Wallace, but it's not like Wallace is old. He's only 25 and he stands to get better if he can hone his route running a bit.

If you could choose between Kendall Wright and Mike Wallace for the same CONTRACT, I think it's a no-brainer that you choose Wallace. As others have said, the problem looks to be that teams simply don't want to pay Wallace's price at all, draft picks notwithstanding.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    But Kendall Wright has never stepped foot on an NFL field. Mike Wallace is ALREADY one of the very best deep threats in the league. He's not at the Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald/Andre Johnson level, but I would argue he is right below that. He's realistically a top 10 WR in the league, and Wright is not. Wright is 3 years younger than Wallace, but it's not like Wallace is old. He's only 25 and he stands to get better if he can hone his route running a bit.

If you could choose between Kendall Wright and Mike Wallace for the same CONTRACT, I think it's a no-brainer that you choose Wallace. As others have said, the problem looks to be that teams simply don't want to pay Wallace's price at all, draft picks notwithstanding.
    My argument isn't on Kendall Wright vs Wallace, of course I know who the better player is right now. But 10 million a year for Mike Wallace? No thanks. The argument isn't between who you would chose between Wright and Wallace at the same contract, my argument is that you should never spend that much money on a pre modonna WR. Kendall Wright was just an example btw, because by the time the Bengals are picking he's probably the only receiver worth taking at #17 or #21.

My argument isn't on Kendall Wright vs Wallace, of course I know who the better player is right now. But 10 million a year for Mike Wallace? No thanks. The argument isn't between who you would chose between Wright and Wallace at the same contract, my argument is that you should never spend that much money on a pre modonna WR. Kendall Wright was just an example btw, because by the time the Bengals are picking he's probably the only receiver worth taking at #17 or #21.
    Assuming you mean Prima donna, it is a pointless knock as Wallace has never been a problem or distraction. He is worth what the market says he is worth and worth much more than an untested draft pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blacknpurplepain View Post
    I remember steeler fans saying Webb was crazy when he stated wallace wasn't the best Wr on the steelers. I always thought brown was the all around better receiver when healthy. I would hate to see the steelers with 2 first round picks so I hope he stays this year. The question is, can brown put up big numbers without Wallace or being the #1 receiver
    We'll see what Brown can do when the double team starts coming his way more frequently.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    We'll see what Brown can do when the double team starts coming his way more frequently.
    This is what I think will happen. Players who succeed get more attention from the opposing defense. Plus, ward is gone, he helped wallace and brown with crossing routes that often took a player covering them get blocked out slightly, enough for brown or wallace to get open. Ward was good at interfering with the defensive players ablity to stay with the receiver on a crossing play. Brown or wallace have played now for several years and there are tapes available to study them.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    This is what I think will happen. Players who succeed get more attention from the opposing defense. Plus, ward is gone, he helped wallace and brown with crossing routes that often took a player covering them get blocked out slightly, enough for brown or wallace to get open. Ward was good at interfering with the defensive players ablity to stay with the receiver on a crossing play. Brown or wallace have played now for several years and there are tapes available to study them.
    Ward barely played last year. Sanders and Cotchery were the 3 and 4 guys. Ward finished the season as the 5th receiver. Losing Wallace could impact Brown, but losing Ward will have absolutely no effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Too bad Mike Brown doesn't care about winning. But if the Ravens were in Cincinnati's shoes, does Ozzie pull the trigger?
    I don't think Cinci would or should. They're going to have Green to take care of down the road. He's going to make a boatload of money. Do they really want two $10 million+ receivers on the team? It would restrict what they could do with the rest of their roster.