Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: This really erked me this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Misinformation?

Hey Galen, you just repeated what I said above about Clinton and the Fannies and Freddies.

No one mentioned Acorn which made bad loans to all those minorities.
    Acorn didn't make loans. Acorn was a community advocacy group(s) that stood up for low-income families. This is why O'Keefe went after them and why O"Keefe is an activist hero to middle-class white conservative bigots.

I worked a lot along side of ACORN in New Orleans after Katrina when the insurance companies were royaly screwing black families that had lived in the same home sometimes for 7 generations. The lower 9th Ward was literally torn apart and its residents were bussed all over the country tearing apart what was once a very tight knit community. Outside of the federal agency that employed me to go down there and some compassionate National Guard, ACORN was the only group working down there to preserve this community while its residents were spread out all over the eastern half of the country.

According to WIKI:

ACORN members across the country, particularly in the Gulf region, have organized fund-raising and organizing drives to ensure that victims of Hurricane Katrina will receive assistance and will be able to return to affected areas. ACORN's home clean-out demonstration program has gutted and rebuilt over 1,850 homes with the help of volunteers. The ACORN Katrina Survivors Association formed in the aftermath of the storm is the first nationwide organization for Katrina survivors and has been working for equitable treatment for victims. Displaced citizens were bused into the city for the New Orleans primary and general elections. ACORN says its Housing Services have helped more than 2,000 homeowners affected by the storm and is an official planner working with the city on reconstruction.

As far as O'Keefe's antics:

Also from WIKI (since it is midnight but also accurate)

On December 7, 2009, the former Massachusetts Attorney General, after an independent internal investigation of ACORN, found the videos that had been released appeared to have been edited, "in some cases substantially". He found no evidence of criminal conduct by ACORN employees, but concluded that ACORN had poor management practices that contributed to unprofessional actions by a number of its low-level employees.[97][98][99][100] On March 1, 2010, the District Attorney's office for Brooklyn determined that the videos were "heavily edited"[101] and concluded that there was no criminal wrongdoing by the ACORN staff in the videos from the Brooklyn ACORN office.[102][103] On April, 1, 2010, an investigation by the California Attorney General found the videos from Los Angeles, San Diego and San Bernardino to be "heavily edited,"[9] and the investigation did not find evidence of criminal conduct on the part of ACORN employees.[9][89] On June 14, 2010, the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) released its findings which showed that ACORN evidenced no sign that it, or any of its related organizations, mishandled any federal money they had received

Yet the conservative low information crowd love O'Keefe.

Blog Entries

Still playing the race card, heh Galen. We're not talking Katrina here. It's contributions to the housing bust.

So where do you think all these hundreds of millions of dollars in loans and contributions from America's
    financial institutions went.

In fact, intimidation tactics, public charges of racism and threats to use CRA to block business expansion have enabled ACORN to extract hundreds of millions of dollars in loans and contributions from America’s financial institutions.

Over the last seven years, Congress gave earmarked grants worth millions of dollars to ACORN, explicitly for their assistance in low-income housing. The original Dodd proposal for the bailout would have made millions more available to ACORN through the Housing Trust Fund, a slush fund Democrats established this year to support even more “community organizing” along these lines.

So, were you working with ACORN when the FBI
    raided their offices for voter fraud like registering names like Mickey Mouse and members
    of the Dallas Cowboys in 22 states.

I guess you'll say the AP did a hatchet job on this piece too.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27220798.../#.T4VnOWjlZqQ
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-11-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    The review of the housing problem in this thread is typical "blame the minorities" coded racist innuedo, conservative bluster.
    Care to point to what you're talking about?

Largest class of people effected by the housing bubble bust? Whites.

But hey, why should that get in the way of Galen and his race baiting?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Largest class of people effected by the housing bubble bust? Whites.

But hey, why should that get in the way of Galen and his race baiting?

And where did I suggest that whites weren't the most "effected"(sic)?

Nice projection though. It reinforces the structure of my argument that conservative are mostly interested in making the housing crisis a race issue. My premise is that the deregulation of the banking/securties market is the cause while your premise is the open lending to minorities caused the crisis. Sure you try to couch it in this language of it not really being about minorities but more about government making it easier for minorities that caused the problem but your language continues to be coded (whether you are aware of it or not) with innuedos of race. When I blame the problem on the stripping of a government regulation that had been around for 70 years effectively regulating the mortgage business then all of a sudden, I am "race baiting". How does that exactly work? Projection my friend. You want this to be about race so you call it out as soon as you can with no mention of race on my part. Interesting.

You might want to check your projection as the truth of the matter is that we are all influenced by race. It is our projections that give us hints of our own racial prejudgements and it becomes our responsibility to learn from them. That is, if we want to be as least affected by race as possible.

Is that from the White House web site or Dr Maddow?

Please let me know so I can respond in kind.

Blog Entries

It's not Galen's fault. It's inherit problem with Liberals, they just re-brand the same talking points or... reuse the same speeches.

Blog Entries

And where did I suggest that whites weren't the most "effected"(sic)?

Nice projection though. It reinforces the structure of my argument that conservative are mostly interested in making the housing crisis a race issue. My premise is that the deregulation of the banking/securties market is the cause while your premise is the open lending to minorities caused the crisis. Sure you try to couch it in this language of it not really being about minorities but more about government making it easier for minorities that caused the problem but your language continues to be coded (whether you are aware of it or not) with innuedos of race. When I blame the problem on the stripping of a government regulation that had been around for 70 years effectively regulating the mortgage business then all of a sudden, I am "race baiting". How does that exactly work? Projection my friend. You want this to be about race so you call it out as soon as you can with no mention of race on my part. Interesting.

You might want to check your projection as the truth of the matter is that we are all influenced by race. It is our projections that give us hints of our own racial prejudgements and it becomes our responsibility to learn from them. That is, if we want to be as least affected by race as possible.
    It's not even the conservatives making this a race issue...the entire government made it a race issue way back when they determined that banks obviously were discriminatory against minorities and needed a law to allow families to take out mortgages regardless of whether or not they could truly afford it.

Frankly, anyone lending money should be discriminatory. Otherwise how do you ensure that you can get that money back?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It's not even the conservatives making this a race issue...the entire government made it a race issue way back when they determined that banks obviously were discriminatory against minorities and needed a law to allow families to take out mortgages regardless of whether or not they could truly afford it.

Frankly, anyone lending money should be discriminatory. Otherwise how do you ensure that you can get that money back?
    When CRA was passed to end redlining, it ended the discriminatory practice of denying loans based on where you lived NOT relaxed lending standards. What relaxed the lending standards in the early 2000s was the realizations that mortgage lenders could bundle bad loans thus diversifying the risk of individual defaults. It worked somewhat like health insurance in that the more unhealthy people you can pool together, the cheaper the insurance becomes as a result of bundling individual plans. The relaxing of the loan standards was a result of Sen. Gramms bill as aforementioned not opening up home purchasing to people who lived within the "redlines". The bubble had nothing to do with race as those on this thread have been suckered into believing.

If you don't believe me just study the legislation, paying attention to the dates and synching it with the dates of the bubble and crash. Its pretty simple.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

When CRA was passed to end redlining, it ended the discriminatory practice of denying loans based on where you lived NOT relaxed lending standards. What relaxed the lending standards in the early 2000s was the realizations that mortgage lenders could bundle bad loans thus diversifying the risk of individual defaults. It worked somewhat like health insurance in that the more unhealthy people you can pool together, the cheaper the insurance becomes as a result of bundling individual plans. The relaxing of the loan standards was a result of Sen. Gramms bill as aforementioned not opening up home purchasing to people who lived within the "redlines". The bubble had nothing to do with race as those on this thread have been suckered into believing.

If you don't believe me just study the legislation, paying attention to the dates and synching it with the dates of the bubble and crash. Its pretty simple
    Classic Galen. He makes a claim and instead of supporting it he tells you it's simple and easy to understand go research, trying relieve him of proving his BS claim.

The "CRA" was basically done away with in the 90's when it was rewritten (by Clinton) to close the "mortgage gap".

As part of it, for the first time banks were required to show results in a five part lending test. In order to meet the criteria of the test banks had to alter their lending practices to meet the needs of borrowers with less money or a lower credit rating.

And another classic Galen move is to inject claims of racism to get it off topic (see below)
    Sure you try to couch it in this language of it not really being about minorities but more about government making it easier for minorities that caused the problem but your language continues to be coded (whether you are aware of it or not) with innuedos of race..
    Things that aren't actually racist only appear racist when you view everything through race, class and gender...
    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 04-11-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Somebody on here mentioned in another thread about needing schools to have classes and courses about the basic skills needed to survive life, handle credit, etc.
    This situation is a perfect example of that notion.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Stuff like this is the type of skill that I'm referring to when I and somebody else in another thread spoke about classes or courses being required in high school of basic skills and understanding of how to function in life.
    Well apparently this type of thing does exist in some places after all.
    It should be in every high school in every state IMO.

Does The Math Add Up?

"Many educators and school officials are recognizing the need to send students out into the world with the ability to maintain their personal finances. There are currently four states — Missouri, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia — that have instituted a mandatory one semester class related to personal finance. In Virginia, freshmen are required to take the course as part of their graduation requirements. Granted, a one-semester class is not going to teach a student everything they need to know about personal finance, but at least they are introduced to the basic concepts, which is a good start."
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

If you don't believe me just study the legislation, paying attention to the dates and synching it with the dates of the bubble and crash. Its pretty simple.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I'm certainly not claiming that the "bubble" or the crisis is a result of race at all. I'm simply stating that the government are the ones who initially interjected a theme of discriminatory racism way back when. Because they were trying to champion potential racism within the housing/mortgage market when all they did was basically themselves admit that minorities couldn't afford the same houses that white people had and that wasn't fair.

Now, I'm not so naive to think that there were not banks and lenders who WERE being racist and discriminatory towards giving minorities a big mortgage loan, but not all of them.

If you can't afford a mortgage then you shouldn't even be trying to take it out and if a bank determines that your financial status is not suitable to have the responsibility of a mortgage, then as a lender that should be their right.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.