Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Battle for #4 WR spot

Way too worked up over the 4th WR. CDip I think can explain it better than I can, but look around the league. Even on a team like the Colts, the 4th WR doesn't get alot of work. Their 4th WR caught 8 passes last year. On a team like ours, you are going to see exactly what you saw from our 4th WR last year, which was 2 catches.

It's mostly a developmental spot for a young player. Teams don't go out and get veterans to fill that spot.

I addressed this a bit today in camp notes:

Leading into camp, the battle for the No. 4 receiver spot was thought to be one of the more interesting ones to watch. Instead, it seems like a battle that no one wants to win. Of the combatants, Devard Darling seems to have the edge but that is more by default. Moore just can’t create separation in short areas and he remains hesitant in traffic. Yamon Figurs is just flat out clueless at the moment and has done very little.

What may end up happening is that the Ravens use Heap and/or Wilcox as the No. 4 receiver. Wilcox has a knack for finding soft spots in defenses and looks to be on the same page as McNair when the Ravens’ QB needs a check down option.

Not surprised at all about Figurs.

I was not happy at all about the pick when we made and still think that a smarter choice would have been Trent Edwards (although I'm not appointing him the savior or anything).

He just looks and sounds like a poor mans Patrick Johnson.

But I did tell myself that I would give him a while and almost count this year as a throw away considering it was obvious as hell that he was really...REALLY raw and the staff seemed convinced he could make it as a WR.

Hopefully he can pick it up, but I'm afraid now as I was during the draft, he was a workout warrior pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Not surprised at all about Figurs.

I was not happy at all about the pick when we made and still think that a smarter choice would have been Trent Edwards (although I'm not appointing him the savior or anything).

He just looks and sounds like a poor mans Patrick Johnson.

But I did tell myself that I would give him a while and almost count this year as a throw away considering it was obvious as hell that he was really...REALLY raw and the staff seemed convinced he could make it as a WR.

Hopefully he can pick it up, but I'm afraid now as I was during the draft, he was a workout warrior pick.
    Workout warriors don't tear apart top class college secondaries like Texas which featured two first round draft picks.

But they do completely disappear for the rest of their careers.

A career day against Texas on simply outrunning guys on 9 routes is great, but how about running another route or I don't know...actually showing up as a WR in another game besides Baylor.

There is no way that Moore should stay on the roster -- the jump ball can be defended against and its just not worth it

DVD at least has some special teams flexibility and is the likely candidate because of this

Think that Figurs will end up mysteriously on IR

But they do completely disappear for the rest of their careers.

A career day against Texas on simply outrunning guys on 9 routes is great, but how about running another route or I don't know...actually showing up as a WR in another game besides Baylor.
    Yes and you're basing the whole of the rest of his career off of his first week in training camp. Give the kid a break.

Did you happen to read my 4th paragraph?

You know...the one where the I started off saying that I was going to give him a while because of how raw he is.

DVD - Si

Moore - No

Figurs - Quien sabe?
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

I have been a moore suportersince we drafted him but he has no balls.

I like figurs speed, even if only for special teams. Maybe h ecan be a gunner.

Darling has been a disapointment but I love the fact that he has the balls to go up to sean taylor during a play and show him hes not scared and shove the shit out of taylor.

Did you happen to read my 4th paragraph?

You know...the one where the I started off saying that I was going to give him a while because of how raw he is.
    Nope didn't miss up but it seemed to me that you'd almost made your mind up already.

Figurs needs to step it up or he won't be on the team. He is way down the depth chart at WR after a week, and BJ is outdoing him on returns. There is no way the Ravens keep him just to be a gunner, even Preston noted how he got sandwiched in the scrimmage as a gunner.

Looks like after 1 week DVD is in the lead for WR #4. The other guys appear to be a long shot so far.