Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Given that it is Easter Weekend...

I know it's kind of a touchy subject and I'd like to just maybe look at different religions, history, etc and try to keep it as unoffensive as possible. I'm not looking to push anything on anyone, but I do find it interesting how so many people base political agendas and decisions off of something that is so personal and emotional.

Doesn't it seem like it is a major conflict of interest?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Given that it is Easter Weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I know it's kind of a touchy subject and I'd like to just maybe look at different religions, history, etc and try to keep it as unoffensive as possible. I'm not looking to push anything on anyone, but I do find it interesting how so many people base political agendas and decisions off of something that is so personal and emotional.

Doesn't it seem like it is a major conflict of interest?
    I guess it's largely a comfort zone. Many of us believe that our way of thinking is correct, and good, and therefore look for leaders with the same core beliefs and mores.

I would not support a candidate who professed to be a Satanist (I know, he or she would never get far enough to be supported, but just suppose), no matter their leadership qualities. However, I happen to be Lutheran, and I have absolutely no problem supporting a Mormon a Catholic or a Baptist etc. whose goals and values appear to match what I'd like in a leader.

Honestly, I cannot say whether I'd be able to support a Muslim at this time because too many practitioners (and I clearly know it is not a majority) of that religion are still back in the Middle Ages using religion as an excuse to wage war.

Blog Entries

True, but knowing that you're the leader/campaining to be the leader of a melting pot nation, wouldn't you take into consideration that your beliefs do not reflect the populus?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    True, but knowing that you're the leader/campaining to be the leader of a melting pot nation, wouldn't you take into consideration that your beliefs do not reflect the populus?
    Those beliefs can't reflect the beliefs of every single citizen, but they can reflect what the majority believes; I believe that differences in doctrine, symbolism and customs don't change the basic beliefs of the many Christian organizations. Southern Baptists and others might disagree with me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by JStruds View Post

Honestly, I cannot say whether I'd be able to support a Muslim at this time because too many practitioners (and I clearly know it is not a majority) of that religion are still back in the Middle Ages using religion as an excuse to wage war.
    Plenty of christians from the neoconservatives to the evangelicals want to subordinate women and spend trillions fighting the middle east as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Plenty of christians from the neoconservatives to the evangelicals want to subordinate women and spend trillions fighting the middle east as well.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I guess, but I'd add that there are levels of subordination (none of which I accept); there is quite a difference between trying to maintain glass ceilings and decreeing gang rape as punishment for infidelity. You can add north Africa to your second point and pin that one on President Obama, who I'm pretty sure is not a neoconservative.

Religion has no place in politics.

I don't care if a person worships God, Jaweh, Allah, Zues, Satan, or the Invisible Pink Unicorn on the Dark Side of the Moon... I especially don't care if they're an atheist. I want my political figures to use the Constitution, common sense, and non theocratic morality to make their decisions. The fact that this is a radical stance in this country is really freaking sad to me.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ee33c3
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

I don't care if a person worships God, Jaweh, Allah, Zues, Satan, or the Invisible Pink Unicorn on the Dark Side of the Moon... I especially don't care if they're an atheist. I want my political figures to use the Constitution, common sense, and non theocratic morality to make their decisions. The fact that this is a radical stance in this country is really freaking sad to me.

---

Hell yea.

Blog Entries

---
    I agree 100%

I'm in 100% agreement with you on this and could care less what anybodys religious beliefs are as long as they aren't associated with anything that is aimed at this country to do harm or have a negative impact on this country or its citizens in any way.

Unfortunately though, it seems that there are alot of people in this country that put alot of their personal religious beliefs in their voting process.
    Many seem to think that a candidates religious beliefs is a big factor in how they will run the country and who they will vote for.

I'm probably going to open up a can of hot shit here, but I think a candidates race and gender also play a role in how people vote as well.

I think there are African American people who voted for Obama simply because he is African American and had no indication of what his political ideas or political agenda was.
    Same could be said for non African Americans who refused to vote for him simply because he was an African American.

I'm pretty comfortable with my belief that there were many on both sides of this fence that had never voted before, or hadn't voted in quite some time but did this last election in support of their side of the racial divide completely uneducated or uncaring of Obamas political views.

Same could be said for some Women as well in regards to women candidates involved in politics I think.

Unfortunately that's just how our society is, and it's a damn shame as I think the only way an election is done in fairness to the candidates (and the country) is if they are of the same ethnic or gender backround.

I'll step off my soapbox now.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

I don't care if someone of faith is a politician, or even my representative for that matter. Someone's religion shouldn't even enter the discussion.

What would concern me is that faith being used to create policy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post

Same could be said for some Women as well in regards to women candidates involved in politics I think.

Unfortunately that's just how our society is, and it's a damn shame as I think the only way an election is done in fairness to the candidates (and the country) is if they are of the same ethnic or gender backround.

I'll step off my soapbox now.
    You are absolutely correct. White guilt is a LARGE part of why Obama got elected.

I saw a T-shirt in Ocean city at a T-shirt shop this past summer that said
    "If you voted for Obama to prove you aren't a racist, Vote for someone elsethis time to prove your not an idiot."

Or something very close to that effect.

It was absolutely a real effect.