Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Webb signs extension

the FO have said before you pay based on what you think a guy will become as well as what he has done recently.. thats what they are doing here.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Finnegan was known as one of the better CBs in the league, as was Carr. Webb has one year where he was good, one where he was average and a few good games at the end of his rookie year before getting injured. Carr and Finnegan have been consistently good for 4+ years so even if Webb is better, he simply doesnt have the history to suggest he is. I agree that he is better (probably not considerably though) and in all likelihood will be this year as well, but based on his previous credentials vs Carr and Finnegan i cant say he necessarily deserved more right now. after this season, if he repeats his success, absolutely because then he has more than one good season to support that he is infact that good and it isnt an anomaly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    the FO have said before you pay based on what you think a guy will become as well as what he has done recently.. thats what they are doing here.
    true, but i think history goes into that more heavily than future. if their isnt a history you cant project too accurately into the future, right? imo, it wasnt very team friendly as of right now, after next year and the following hopefully it looks more friendly and less market value. he certainly has the potential if he builds off his one good year.
    -JAB

3. Re: Webb signs extension

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You were the first guy that I remember who realized exactly how good Webb could be. This contract proves the Ravens feel the same way. Great job!
    LOl yup.. Thanks man. He's a great player, and an even better person if you read his story.

Glad we locked him up for the long run..... Does this mean i get a scout Job? lol
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

4. Re: Webb signs extension

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Now all we have to worry about is if Webb goes lazy in his first year of new contract. Suggs, McCallister years ago, and others who get high contracts seem to slack off some after getting big money.
    I remember Suggs taking 08 off, that was such a down year for him, right after his contract. Cmac was a perpetual lazy guy. I didn't surprise me that he slacked off a bit. I dont see that from Webb, he has already started his offseason workouts as per his twitter feed. He is a really hardworking guy. I dont see a slip up unless he gets injured, knock on wood that doesn't happen. Performance wise i can only see an uphill climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No, I think Ozzie just wanted to lock him up while simultaneously saving a couple hundred grand. They just both had a common number in mind and made the signing easier than say Rice who seems to be asking for a lot more than the Ravens want to offer.

Nobody was signing Webb and Ozzie even pointed out the extremely low probability of an outside offer when UFA first started.
    They've always, at least, tried to get their "core" players re-signed during the offseason before their UFA year. They weren't sucessful with Suggs and Ngata, although they were trying.

They didn't want to sign McAlister until they felt he was worth (off field) investing that kind of bonus money - hence the Tag x2.

They have done a number of deals with their "core" players before the final year of their contracts - Ray x2, Ogden x2, McCrary, Boulware, Heap, Reed.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

So is it 5 for $50M, 6 for $50,M or 6 for $52M... I'm reading all 3 on here.

One is a good deal ($10M/yr). The others are fantastic ($8.3M/yr or $8.7M/yr).

Either way, very excited to see Webb locked up long term!

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Actually, it's very possible - based on the reported terms - that it's going to be pretty close to a wash with his RFA tender. They might even have saved a 100K or so.
    His 2012 Cap number is $2.615M, a reduction of $127K from what he was counting under the RFA tender.

The $2.165M represents a base salary of the veteran minimum (for a player with 3 years of service time) of $615K and $2M in signing bonus proration ($10M/5 years).

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    So is it 5 for $50M or 6 for $52...

One is a good deal ($10M/yr). The other is fantastic ($8.7M/yr)
    Based on the reports so far, it appears to be 6/$50M, so it may be even better - $8.333M/year.

9. Re: Webb signs extension

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Not really...CB market is much different than RB market. Webb is a top caliber CB, but probably can't put himself in top 5 CBs. Top 10 maybe, but not in the company of Revis or Nnamdi. When he doesn't expect that type of contract, much easier for Ozzie to find the number that works for both.

Rice's deal will be big. It's going to take someone conceding some ground before they can even start to mash out the final numbers.
    Huh? The guy didn't give up a Touchdown All season... He also lead the league in picks when you include the playoffs. Was pretty much tops in the league in pass defended. I'm trying to figure out which 5 corners we're better LAST season. Nnamdi was garbage last season, sorry to say that i like the guy but Webbie was better last year.

Based on the reports so far, it appears to be 6/$50M, so it may be even better - $8.333M.
    That would make my day :)

Blog Entries

Based on the reports so far, it appears to be 6/$50M, so it may be even better - $8.333M/year.
    now that is what i would say is a team friendly deal and closer to what i expected, but basically, if im not mistaken, theyre just adding his RFA tender to the 5/50 deal no?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Bleed actually called it the day after the draft from what I remember. That's when he started calling him the Predator.
    Yeah, that's way earlier than me. I don't really assess players till they hit the field.