Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Re: Webb signs extension

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    There's no reason to do this. CB is so valuable right now in the NFL, and there is always risk in changing a players role. We know Webb is a great corner. That's clearly where his value is highest. Maybe when he gets older and starts to slow down this will be reasonable, but there's no way it's happening anytime soon.
    I agree with you, but the thing I don't think can be answered at this point is what will this defense really look like in the days after Ed Reed? Sure, he's missed time over the past few years, but he's played more often than not and I think he completely changes how our secondary (and our defense) works.

I think his presence back there covering so much ground pulls the overall performance of our secondary up by a large measure. If you take him away and replace him with a league-average safety, our whole system becomes less effective. We won't be able to play as much single high safety, we will be much more susceptible to the deep pass, etc... I think there will be cascading effects.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. Maybe the team will be able to acquire a suitable replacement. And yes, a good CB generally has a higher positional value than a good safety. I just wonder how THIS team particularly answers that question and I'm proposing one answer I think is interesting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No, I think Ozzie just wanted to lock him up while simultaneously saving a couple hundred grand. They just both had a common number in mind and made the signing easier than say Rice who seems to be asking for a lot more than the Ravens want to offer.

Nobody was signing Webb and Ozzie even pointed out the extremely low probability of an outside offer when UFA first started.
    Ozzie is a great poker player. Of course he is going to publicly down play the chances of him signing with another team. Bisciotti didn't just sign a $10 million bonus check so they could save $125,000 off the cap. Ozzie spoke about getting Webb signed early which is not something he speaks about often. In fact other than Flacco I can't remember him doing that since Ed Reed.

Under this new CBA there is a chance that a top RFA signs an offer sheet, especially in a year with a mediocre 1st round of the draft. I'm just glad that we don't have to worry about it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ozzie is a great poker player. Of course he is going to publicly down play the chances of him signing with another team. Bisciotti didn't just sign a $10 million bonus check so they could save $125,000 off the cap. Ozzie spoke about getting Webb signed early which is not something he speaks about often. In fact other than Flacco I can't remember him doing that since Ed Reed.

Under this new CBA there is a chance that a top RFA signs an offer sheet, especially in a year with a mediocre 1st round of the draft. I'm just glad that we don't have to worry about it for a while.
    I don't agree.

In the day and age of the cap and UFA, draft picks are more valuable than ever. It just doesn't happen.

Per Ozzie, I think he was being honest...and if you go by history, this is how it works.

He wanted to keep his guys and sign him early...as much grief as he has got for not doing it, he has done it for cornerstone players...and it's obvious with the contract he gave Webby that he considers him a cornerstone guy. We also have a QB and probably a top RB coming up for UFA next year and he won't have the franchise tag to use on all of them...so take care of at least 2 if you can beforehand so they all don't get out to the open market.

He has also said he is negotiating with Cary Williams...does anybody think he is scared or concerned about another team coming after him? No...he see's potential for the team to lock down 3 very, very good corners for another 4 years or so and he is trying to make it happen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    ... Under this new CBA there is a chance that a top RFA signs an offer sheet, especially in a year with a mediocre 1st round of the draft. I'm just glad that we don't have to worry about it for a while.
    Great point. Imagine the Patriots signing Webb and us getting a low 1st round pick in this draft...UGH! ... Bc

Yes!!!!

This was a no brainer, and Ozzie FINALLY locks up a young superstar early and got great value in terms of years and average salary.

So happy right now.

Freaking amazing news. Now for Webby to ascend to being the best DB in the league.

I love this, I assume this would be cheaper than had we waited till next year when he was a UFA and his value may have gone up and he might have wanted to test the market. I believe Joe is next and then Rice.

Blog Entries

great signing. I would have liked for the deal to be more in the $45M range but I'm ok with paying him $50M as long as that leaves enough money to lock up Flacco and Rice

Anyone know where I can find his interview with Glenn On 105.7? I believe he was on air a couple hours ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The way I feel is that CBs are usually pretty stable in their performance. I can't really recall many recent situations where a CB had a monster year then fell apart the next. Even if Webb doesn't continue the elite level of play, I'm certain he'll be an above average CB for the duration of the contract and if that is the case, the contract will still be a great deal, IMO.
    im not sure either about that. Im sure its happened as there is ups and downs with any position. Im really not trying to knock webb, i think his work ethic is unquestioned and he obviously has skill i just think when looking at any position you have to look at consistency when projecting the future, his isnt very strong. If the reports are true and hes closer to 8 a year instead of 10 i think that says the team and him agreed if hes at 10 than obviously the team thinks hes the real deal right now. I think hes going to be a top 5 cb For awhile so it probably negates my comment and this deal will be friendly but as is, today, and if it is 10/year i cant say thats team friendly as opposed to market value when hes probably being paid top 5 for one year of top 5 performance to the other 4s 4+ years of the same, if that makes sense.
    -JAB

I'm absolutely thrilled with this signing.

A very good argument can be made that he was the best corner in all of football last season. If you want to say you'd take Revis for next year, I understand, but Webb led the NFL in:

Interceptions (and INT/game, post season included)
    QBR against
    Allowed 0 TD passes

I don't think McAlister ever had a year that could touch it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    I'm absolutely thrilled with this signing.

A very good argument can be made that he was the best corner in all of football last season. If you want to say you'd take Revis for next year, I understand, but Webb led the NFL in:

Interceptions (and INT/game, post season included)
    QBR against
    Allowed 0 TD passes

I don't think McAlister ever had a year that could touch it.
    This thread can be closed now.