Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post

Are you allowed to prescribe meds and if so, do you actually prescribe them or do you think you actually help people without the meds?
    No I don't prescribe meds but see them working in some cases and not so much in others. I was trained in a form of cognitive therapy called Rational-Emotive Therapy. It is one of the few psychotherapies well supported in the research. In the long haul and in most cases, I think it is more effective than meds for treating anxiety disorders and most mood disorders as well as behavioral disorders. Some have found it effective in treating schizophrenia. I am not sold on that but haven't worked much with that population since I have been out of hospital work.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Re: In cancer science, many 'discoveries' don't hold up.

You know the gloves are coming off when a far left liberal questions others critical thinking capacity.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    I believe this is the quote your referring to:
    http://ravens24x7.com/forum/showthre...orce-Agreement

Thank you for mauling it with your subjective twist.

It seems I'm going to have to clarify my initial point to stop any further misquotes. That quote was targeted at Materialism and Naturalism. This is exactly what Materialism / Naturalism says per Merriam-Webster online:

Materialism: A theory that physical matter is the only or fundamental reality and that all being and processes and phenomena can be explained as manifestations or results of matter

Naturalism: The doctrine that scientific laws are adequate to account for all phenomena.

At what point is it illogical to deduce that scientists (the overwhelming majority of which) who support the above, have fulfilled reason to believe that science, as I said in the real quote, "will explain everything in the universe with absolute and definite truth." ? FYI "will" implies futurity.

I imagine you have some familiarity with the intellectuals present in Vienna around the late 1800 to early 1900's. In the early 1900's, Ernst Mach, Ludwig Wittgenstein, and founding father of logical positivism, Mortiz Schlik were the most influential men in every intellectual circle at the time. It is safe to say that positivism was shaping the believed necessary direction for science to maintain its scientific integrity. The extremity with which this manner of thinking was headed was evidenced by Ernest Mach at a meeting of the imperial academy of sciences, where after his nemesis Ludwig Boltzman had finished speaking, he abruptly stood up and proclaimed "I do not believe atoms exist!" Were it not for the powerful influence of Einstein and the anti-positivist means by which Special/General Relativity came about, Positivism would have spread from the intellectual epicenter Vienna, to the world, stifling scientific research by its restrictive sensory demands.

You desperately need to read a book on the history of science. Like-minded men who are educated by like-minded men are likely to be just that, like-minded; Like-minded of the believed "problems" of a field, and as such, available methods of research. I gladly except the fact that the majority of scientists believe the earth is warming due to carbon-dioxide. However, the consensus of science has never in the history of this planet been enough to legitimately clarify any instance in nature. For centuries scientists believed the Earth was the center of the universe, that ether carried light, that Newtonian physics set the parameters for motion. The discovery of oxygen is credited to several men simply because we don't know for certain who was the first. How can that be? Although it was observed, it is was thought simply to be air removed of phlogistion, a substance released by all elements when burned. These are a mere speck of the similar instances in every field of science. It is what led Alfred Whitehead to proclaim "A science that hesitates to forget its founders, is lost." In a field where it is necessary to forget the founders worldviews, how can any contemporary position as ad hoc as Global Warming be safe?

When I hear someone like yourself attempt to throw down the gavel, "scientific concensus" as if its utterance alone can provoke silence, I can't help but chuckle.
    You also believe in god because the complexity of the world is too grand to be explained by anything else. That makes me chuckle. So we are both getting our laughs.

I think what you refer to as science in an attempt to diminish its method, many would now refer to as philosophy. They were more similar in methods 100+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    You also believe in god because the complexity of the world is too grand to be explained by anything else. That makes me chuckle. So we are both getting our laughs.

I think what you refer to as science in an attempt to diminish its method, many would now refer to as philosophy. They were more similar in methods 100+ years ago.

The point is that philosophy can drastically shape science. It isn't as though scientists are uninhibited by their world views. A noble trait, it is however, unattainable. How could the majority view, for example, that Ontology is subservient to epistemology, -two corner stones of philosophy mind you- not effect science?
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt