Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    First off what is the definition of "holding out"?? To me it is being under contract, and not showing up to camp because you want more money than you agreed to on that deal. Obviously that is not the case with Rice. He won't sign that tender until he has to, and therefore is not under contract.

If Rice does not get a deal before training camp he shouldn't and won't be on the field, but I would not consider it "holding out", I would consider it a smart business decision. Ray Rice has zero to gain from training camp and everything to lose if he gets a freak injury. Only a fool would be out there in July for no reason under the tag, especially a player the caliber of Rice.

It has nothing to do with his character which we all know is second to none, it is about protecting yourself and your future when you are in his spot. His agent will tell him there is no way you are setting foot on the field and rightly so, happens all the time.

It won't come to that though, because after all this posturing by the agent and his camp trying to squeeze out a few more dollars I firmly believe a deal will be in place before camp. There isn't one now because what is the rush form their perspective? There is none. Camp is 4 months away there is no urgency to get anything done right now. They are just going to keep playing the "who is going to blink first" game for a while.
    Make sense but you know how most Ravens fans are, they think if a deal doesn't get done asap then the player is going to hold out or just leave. Watch how it gets when Webb or Flacco deals get drawn out. Oz is always going to do what's best for the Ravens and that's why Ray lewis is still a Ravens bc Oz knew other teams wasn't going to throw big money @ Ray. I believe flacco and Webb deals get done first. Its unlikely but RR might get tagged again next year but I hope not bc that's like $9,000,000
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

First Lets Define "Hold Out" My take on that is sitting out of mini camp and training camp and not reporting until the 3rd pre season game. Why risk injury when if there is one his next contract will be a lot less. Plus he already said he is speaking to harbs and will work out a plan where if he does not show up to camp and OTAs he is still up to speed with the rest of the team. He knows he is not worth AP money and AP knows he is not worth what he got. Look what happened to him after he signed that deal.... July 15 is a long time away and there is no need to do a deal now. If there is any deal to do now it is Flacco then Webb, then when July 10 comes around start working with rice.

Another option... After this year, if he plays under the tag, why not tag him again and trade him for a 2 #1s or a 1st and 2nd. We will have a shit load of comp picks next year also anyway so that may be a good year to get young again at certian positions

Quote Originally Posted by blacknpurplepain View Post
    Make sense but you know how most Ravens fans are, they think if a deal doesn't get done asap then the player is going to hold out or just leave. Watch how it gets when Webb or Flacco deals get drawn out. Oz is always going to do what's best for the Ravens and that's why Ray lewis is still a Ravens bc Oz knew other teams wasn't going to throw big money @ Ray. I believe flacco and Webb deals get done first. Its unlikely but RR might get tagged again next year but I hope not bc that's like $9,000,000
    I think most fans of any team become inpatient this time of year when the key players on their respective teams haven't been signed new contracts, it's not unique to Raven fans only. I agree that Ozzie will do what is best for the team, including not over paying a player. So Rice may very well be allowed to test the market next year should he continue to push for AP money. IMO, don't see that happening because I think he and his agent both realize that his ceiling is going to be somewhere near what the Foster deal was.

The chances of Rice holding out are greater than the chances of this

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
    I also don't see Rice doing it. He said he's okay with the tag before, so unless he suddenly changes his mind, should be fine. Negotiating tactics like this always goes on, just business. He seems the kinda guy that loves the game too much and his teammates too much to hold out into the season. If he gets tagged a second year, I could sympathise with holding out.

If he does, I'd think it would be better for both parties in the long run to try and shop him for a trade even in the summer if they had to. At first, I was reluctant to the idea of letting Rice go as depriving yourself of weapons would be counter-productive, but the more I think about it, the more it makes long term sense. I certainly wouldn't blame him if he tries to go for the top dollar, it's his right to do so.

It only works if a fair deal is achieved. If he can stay, great - perfect. Failing this, hopefully, Rice will be okay with the franchise tag this year, has a great year (and uninjured for his sake) and then the Ravens decline to sign him next year. Already likely to be a big change next year anyway, so get it all out of the way in one offseason should it end up like that.
    Context is crucial. I don't recall Rice saying he was ok playing under the tag. I recall him saying that the tag would give him and the Ravens more time to work out a long term deal. He was ok with it as long as a new contract got done. I don't know that he wouldn't play under the tag but I think it's to much to assume.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Context is crucial. I don't recall Rice saying he was ok playing under the tag. I recall him saying that the tag would give him and the Ravens more time to work out a long term deal. He was ok with it as long as a new contract got done. I don't know that he wouldn't play under the tag but I think it's to much to assume.
    No he did say he was ok with it since it happens quite a lot.

He may skip OTAs but I expect him to be in camp.

He will probably speak with other team mates who have been tagged and played under it like Suggs. I expect him to skip OTAs and training camp while keeping in touch with the coaching staff. He will show up around the time camp ends for the 3Rd pre season game. There is no way he skips games

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    He will probably speak with other team mates who have been tagged and played under it like Suggs. I expect him to skip OTAs and training camp while keeping in touch with the coaching staff. He will show up around the time camp ends for the 3Rd pre season game. There is no way he skips games
    Pretty much agree with this. I think for this year he will play under the tag while skipping OTA's and part of camp. Not worried bout that, Ray is a pro and will be in shape and ready to go. I do think however if the Ravens tag him again next year, things could start to get a bit sticky so to speak.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Ray isn't holding out into the season. I hope he is smarter than that.

I don't know...I consider myself to be a much bigger fan of the laundry than the players and I think some of you get too attached to some of them. When things like this happen it's a bunch of blame being put on other people.

Ray Rice wants significantly more than Foster got. I think he feels that he is even owed that because he didn't bitch about his contract last year when he probably had every right to. This is going to be a long and drawn out deal...I don't know how it ends, but I can easily see him skipping most if not all of camp and if he really wants to dig his heals in, may even miss a couple games. Ray Rice is not above all that...no player is really.

Anyway, it pretty much looks like he will be skipping OTA's according to Aaron...

Sources: Ray Rice not planning to report without a new deal
    by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, April 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm ET

Ray Rice Profile

OWINGS MILLS -- Although Baltimore Ravens Pro Bowl running back Ray Rice indicated today during the unveiling of the new Nike uniforms that he looks forward to attending offseason workouts, sources close to the situation stressed that Rice won't be reporting until he has a new contract.

Blog Entries

More snaps for Double A.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I can't recall the Ravens ever having a player hold out of actual regular season games, has anyone? I know a few guys have held out over camp/preseason, but not the regular season. Don't think Rice will be the first but I don't think the Ravens are going to budge either.