Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 96
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    6,108
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?



    He has to, you can't risk getting injured especially something real serious to where it end may cause this young man his career, you just can't risk that.




  2. #26

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    I think Rice does hold out, which simply means refusing to report to a mandatory team event without approval, whether that be minicamp, training camp, in-season practice, or an actual game. Technically he is under team control as the Ravens have control of his contract rights. He is obligated in the same manner as if he would have signed the franchise tag in terms of attendance at team functions. If he were to hold out of actual games, like Revis and Vincent Jackson in past year, he would lose the game checks and potentially lose the season accrual as well.

    I don't think Rice holds out of the season itself, that's a very dangerous (and desperate) tactic. If he does, the team should unconditionally withdraw any long-term offer on the table. IMO, that's a non-negotiable deal-breaker.




  3. #27

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    I also don't see Rice doing it. He said he's okay with the tag before, so unless he suddenly changes his mind, should be fine. Negotiating tactics like this always goes on, just business. He seems the kinda guy that loves the game too much and his teammates too much to hold out into the season. If he gets tagged a second year, I could sympathise with holding out.

    If he does, I'd think it would be better for both parties in the long run to try and shop him for a trade even in the summer if they had to. At first, I was reluctant to the idea of letting Rice go as depriving yourself of weapons would be counter-productive, but the more I think about it, the more it makes long term sense. I certainly wouldn't blame him if he tries to go for the top dollar, it's his right to do so.

    It only works if a fair deal is achieved. If he can stay, great - perfect. Failing this, hopefully, Rice will be okay with the franchise tag this year, has a great year (and uninjured for his sake) and then the Ravens decline to sign him next year. Already likely to be a big change next year anyway, so get it all out of the way in one offseason should it end up like that.




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    12,072
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    Can we please stop talking as if Ray Rice is just a puppet for his agent? The agent works for the player and Rice seems heady enough to understand that. He is also around enough veterans in the locker to understand that. If his agent is saying it, it's not far from what Rice is feeling. It might not be anything personal toward the Ravens, just a business decision. When he fires his agent or signs this alleged offer, then I believe otherwise.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  5. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,661
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Can we please stop talking as if Ray Rice is just a puppet for his agent? The agent works for the player and Rice seems heady enough to understand that. He is also around enough veterans in the locker to understand that. If his agent is saying it, it's not far from what Rice is feeling. It might not be anything personal toward the Ravens, just a business decision. When he fires his agent or signs this alleged offer, then I believe otherwise.
    You need to tell that to Harbaugh

    http://www.hometownannapolis.com/new...sive-line.html

    Rice has been assigned a one-year, $7.742 million tender, but has yet to sign it. The Ravens have until July 15 to negotiate a long-term deal with Rice. Otherwise, he’ll have to play the entire season under the tag.

    No deal is close at this time.

    “I don’t know what their strategy will be, if they feel like they even need a strategy,” Harbaugh said. “That kind of goes back to the agent more than the player, but Ray Rice is a man. He loves football. He wants to be in there with his teammates.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,279
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    I'm sure Rice's agent is telling Rice "Just stay the course. We'll get them to pony up as much as they're willing to do and if it's right then we'll sign and if it's not then you're still getting 7.7 mill this season."
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    12,072
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You need to tell that to Harbaugh

    http://www.hometownannapolis.com/new...sive-line.html

    Rice has been assigned a one-year, $7.742 million tender, but has yet to sign it. The Ravens have until July 15 to negotiate a long-term deal with Rice. Otherwise, he’ll have to play the entire season under the tag.

    No deal is close at this time.

    “I don’t know what their strategy will be, if they feel like they even need a strategy,” Harbaugh said. “That kind of goes back to the agent more than the player, but Ray Rice is a man. He loves football. He wants to be in there with his teammates.
    Well, I guess Rice will be firing his agent soon.

    For example, I remember when Anquan Boldin was upset that Arizona did not offer him an extension he felt he was worth. It felt like he was the odd man out, even though he was the one working hard in Arizona before Fitzgerald and Warner even got there. However, after a while, Boldin fired his agent and signed with Baltimore for about half the guaranteed money we expected him to get. If I can remember correctly, Kansas City definitely offered him more than Baltimore. So, we got to see what his true motives were.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  8. #32

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    I know I'm a little late to the game here, but I wonder how upset RR could possibly be after getting roughly a 6.5 million dollar raise with the Franchise Tag. I think we need not worry about him holding out IMHO.




  9. #33

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    He has to, you can't risk getting injured especially something real serious to where it end may cause this young man his career, you just can't risk that.
    I think this is the key point people must realize.

    As a fan of another team (Steelers) I thought I'd weigh in on the Ray Rice situation. Ray Rice has been a huge part of the Ravens offense for several years. His original contract was only $3.905 million total for 4 years, or about $976,000 a year.

    I think he feels that the Ravens have gotten a huge bargain for less than 1 million a year and he's earned a long term deal. 7 mil and change a year is great, but what if he has a major injury in that year? That 7 million would then be his "big" payday because nobody will give him like 20 million guaranteed coming off of a major injury.

    Compare that to Flacco's rookie deal, 30 million for 5 years. Flacco has already gotten 4 years of that and without knowing how it was structured just say 24 million for argument sake. 6 times the amount Rice has gotten. Has Flacco been 6 times the player that Rice has been? I'm not saying that Flacco is overpaid or anything about him I'm just comparing the numbers.

    Also, where was it reported that the Ravens offered Rice Foster money? I couldn't find any details of the negotiations anywhere. If that is the case and they did offer Rice long term money than my opinion will change, but for now I think Rice is getting screwed over. Especially if there was team speculation that he could be tagged next year as well.

    I think Rice may play under the tag this year but not next. All this talk of him being a team player and not wanting to let his teamates down may be completely true, but this goes way beyond that. It's about his livlihood and his family and being financially secure for the rest of his life. Why should he play for 7 million when he can get probably 20 million guaranteed elsewhere?

    At the end of the day Rice needs to make as much money as he can for the several years that the window is open for him. After all the Ravens will still have a billion dollar business no matter how much they pay Rice, so why shouldn't they pay him what he is worth based on others at his position?

    I am not saying he deserves Peterson money, and if the Ravens really did offer him Foster money than all this is moot because then I would say the Ravens did try to do right by him, but I have not seen that reported other than on this board.

    Thanks for the opportunity to weigh in (for those that are still reading as this is very long I know...sorry).




  10. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    i think it was aaron wilson said we offered similar to foster deal, but a wee bit more than it, and then his agent said something in the media that they are looking more in the lines of AP money
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny600 View Post
    I think this is the key point people must realize.

    As a fan of another team (Steelers) I thought I'd weigh in on the Ray Rice situation. Ray Rice has been a huge part of the Ravens offense for several years. His original contract was only $3.905 million total for 4 years, or about $976,000 a year.

    I think he feels that the Ravens have gotten a huge bargain for less than 1 million a year and he's earned a long term deal. 7 mil and change a year is great, but what if he has a major injury in that year? That 7 million would then be his "big" payday because nobody will give him like 20 million guaranteed coming off of a major injury.

    Compare that to Flacco's rookie deal, 30 million for 5 years. Flacco has already gotten 4 years of that and without knowing how it was structured just say 24 million for argument sake. 6 times the amount Rice has gotten. Has Flacco been 6 times the player that Rice has been? I'm not saying that Flacco is overpaid or anything about him I'm just comparing the numbers.

    Also, where was it reported that the Ravens offered Rice Foster money? I couldn't find any details of the negotiations anywhere. If that is the case and they did offer Rice long term money than my opinion will change, but for now I think Rice is getting screwed over. Especially if there was team speculation that he could be tagged next year as well.

    I think Rice may play under the tag this year but not next. All this talk of him being a team player and not wanting to let his teamates down may be completely true, but this goes way beyond that. It's about his livlihood and his family and being financially secure for the rest of his life. Why should he play for 7 million when he can get probably 20 million guaranteed elsewhere?

    At the end of the day Rice needs to make as much money as he can for the several years that the window is open for him. After all the Ravens will still have a billion dollar business no matter how much they pay Rice, so why shouldn't they pay him what he is worth based on others at his position?

    I am not saying he deserves Peterson money, and if the Ravens really did offer him Foster money than all this is moot because then I would say the Ravens did try to do right by him, but I have not seen that reported other than on this board.

    Thanks for the opportunity to weigh in (for those that are still reading as this is very long I know...sorry).




  11. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,899

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    My two cents....Ray Rice just doesn't strike me as the type. That being said, his best interests would be served with a long-term contract with generous up-front money. It sounds by most reports that kind of offer is currently on the table yet Ray has refused to accept it. I still think he won't hold out but I gotta wonder who is driving the bus between Ray and his agent.
    "Old Man my Ass!" - John Malkovich




  12. #36

    Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

    I don't think he holds out and IMHO, I really don't think he expects to get AP money either. But hey... a guy gotta try.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland