Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Does anyone think Ray Rice could hold out?

Man, when he holds out a bunch of you guys are going to feel betrayed.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Blog Entries

He's stated that he's OK with the tag, I mean it is a $7M raise. No I don't think he will even insinuate that he might.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Don't think he would, but wouldn't blame him if he did. Family first.

I don't think RR will hold out. After all he did just get a $7,000,000.00 a year raise.

If he holds out, it will change my view of him dramatically. Right now I think Rice is awesome.

If he holds out wanting AP money, he will be a lot less awesome in my opinion, and I would hope the Ravens immediately start planning to replace him even if the plan takes another year or so to implement.

My understanding is that the Ravens have offered him a Foster-type deal and that strikes me as fair. If Rice wants even more, then IMO he's being unrealistic and very much not team-first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    If he holds out, it will change my view of him dramatically. Right now I think Rice is awesome.

If he holds out wanting AP money, he will be a lot less awesome in my opinion, and I would hope the Ravens immediately start planning to replace him even if the plan takes another year or so to implement.

My understanding is that the Ravens have offered him a Foster-type deal and that strikes me as fair. If Rice wants even more, then IMO he's being unrealistic and very much not team-first.
    I completely agree with your sentiments. I feel the same way.

I like Rice a lot. I've been watching him since he was at Rutgers. He was a guy I really wanted to see as a Raven even way back then.

Foster's deal is 5 years, $43.5 million, $20.75 guaranteed.

Supposedly they offered him something in that ball park and Tony even alluded to them offering him the exact same deal. If I were Ozzie I'd probably go as high as 5 yrs, $45 million, $22-24 guaranteed, but probably not much more than that. Right now Foster's deal averages $8.7 million per season, which is still a lot, but much more reasonable than AP's nearly $14 million per season. At most, I'd probably do $9 mill per season...maybe $9.2, but no more than that. It's nothing against Rice, but the RB position just isn't worth that kind of loot.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

He's not worth Peterson money. Peterson isn't worth Peterson money.

Besides, I think Rice has an image to uphold in the community. I don't think holding out would help that. Even if it's "just business", fans rarely take the side of the player on hold outs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KidSampson View Post
    He's not worth Peterson money. Peterson isn't worth Peterson money.

Besides, I think Rice has an image to uphold in the community. I don't think holding out would help that. Even if it's "just business", fans rarely take the side of the player on hold outs.
    Agreed and Drew Brees is definitely feeling that pressure right now down in NO.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

For what its worth I don't see Rice holding out this summer. However if he and the ravens still have not reached an agreement then I don't see why he wouldn't hold out next summer. I would be dissappointed if he still wants an AP type contract next summer. I'm going to give Ray the benefit of the doubt and say he and his agent's demands will come down some in the next 4 months.

Next year, rice if he plays under the tag will cost the team a fortune. He is costing a fortune this year, no RB in this day and age is worth 7.7 million. If I were the Ravens I would at the very least go to some top RB prospect pro days, that should send a message quick. I wouldn't mind drafting a RB in round 2 or even 1, thus saving you 7-10 million NEXT year and for the next 3-4 years against the cap. You can really add to your team with those savings, plus Rice in a few years will be suffering from the law of averages of diminishing returns. From Holmes, Lewis, Mcgahee, mCClain and Rice the Ravens always ran the ball pretty well. Remember, after a few good years with MCGahee, and still having him under contract for 4 years they STILL drafted a RB in the 2nd round.

Blog Entries

It's a business and I bet he'll do what his knuckleheaded agent tell's him too. If it wasn't like that already than he would've taken the deal they offered him. The Ravens aren't going to go any higher, and nor should they. If he holds out I'm not sure what they'll do. Personally I'd let him walk pending what kind of effect on the cap it would be.

First off what is the definition of "holding out"?? To me it is being under contract, and not showing up to camp because you want more money than you agreed to on that deal. Obviously that is not the case with Rice. He won't sign that tender until he has to, and therefore is not under contract.

If Rice does not get a deal before training camp he shouldn't and won't be on the field, but I would not consider it "holding out", I would consider it a smart business decision. Ray Rice has zero to gain from training camp and everything to lose if he gets a freak injury. Only a fool would be out there in July for no reason under the tag, especially a player the caliber of Rice.

It has nothing to do with his character which we all know is second to none, it is about protecting yourself and your future when you are in his spot. His agent will tell him there is no way you are setting foot on the field and rightly so, happens all the time.

It won't come to that though, because after all this posturing by the agent and his camp trying to squeeze out a few more dollars I firmly believe a deal will be in place before camp. There isn't one now because what is the rush form their perspective? There is none. Camp is 4 months away there is no urgency to get anything done right now. They are just going to keep playing the "who is going to blink first" game for a while.