Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Oral Arguments

Blog Entries

Re: Oral Arguments

This is the worst week in history for a sitting president. :)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-obama-style/
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-30-2012 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Anyway back to OBY, this is the worst week in history for a sitting president. :)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-obama-style/

I'll be damned if that washington times article right there wasn't an ass kicking in itself.:hammer:
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

With the ruling coming today I have a question for everyone.

Kagan is clearly in favor of the law (having participated in crafting the government argument), while I've never heard of a ruling being leaked to the media or public, would anyone put it past Kagan to leak it to the Obama admin so they could come up with how to respond to the ruling (which ever way they vote)?

The ruling won't be coming today. That won't be released until June.

What you're referring to is the vote. They take a vote on the four issues and write their opinions based on seniority. That vote often times changes during the opinion writing process.

It's rather unprecedented that Justices leak their closed-door deliberations. I have followed the SCOTUS for some time with much interest and cannot think of a time an opinion was leaked by the court.

Lawyers are big on procedure. It's almost a defining quality for all of them, no matter their political persuasion. I doubt Kagen would take such a move as to call the President and leak out what's being discussed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The ruling won't be coming today. That won't be released until June.

What you're referring to is the vote. They take a vote on the four issues and write their opinions based on seniority. That vote often times changes during the opinion writing process.

It's rather unprecedented that Justices leak their closed-door deliberations. I have followed the SCOTUS for some time with much interest and cannot think of a time an opinion was leaked by the court.

Lawyers are big on procedure. It's almost a defining quality for all of them, no matter their political persuasion. I doubt Kagen would take such a move as to call the President and leak out what's being discussed.
    Yes, I did mean vote. The ruling could change between now and the time it's released to us.

I have no doubts people will pretend the ruling will be released, but I hm about 99.9% certain it won't.

I hear you on Lawyers being big on procedure etc. Obviously by my question I have doubts about Kagan. And that is because, IF that were truly the case for her she would have recused herself as she was clearly helping the Solicitor General try to make his argument, and that's even acknowledged by our resident lefty.

Blog Entries

I think just the opposite. I'm thinking they discuss what the recourse will be.

"Aside from their White Sox connection, Kagan also worked with Obama at U of C for several years. NBC Chicago reports that Kagan tried to convince Obama to pursue a life in academia when he was contemplating a run for Senate."
    They're as thick as thieves IMO.
    Last edited by 4G63; 03-30-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I think just the opposite. I'm thinking they discuss what the recourse will be.

They're as thick as thieves IMO.
    She'd be bucking the trend of hundreds of years of relative silence.

Every justice worked for their respective nominating President (or were donors) and they've managed to remain relatively silent for almost 300 years.

Blog Entries

She'd be bucking the trend of hundreds of years of relative silence.

Every justice worked for their respective nominating President (or were donors) and they've managed to remain relatively silent for almost 300 years.
    I get all that. I know you read the transcripts, not sure if you listened to the audio. If you heard her tone on some of these questions you can see she is of a different ilk all together. Listen to the last audio clip about medicare expansion, she (I believe) asks the first question, total disregard for anything other than her ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I get all that. I know you read the transcripts, not sure if you listened to the audio. If you heard her tone on some of these questions you can see she is of a different ilk all together. Listen to the last audio clip about medicare expansion, she (I believe) asks the first question, total disregard for anything other than her ideology.
    I've done both. They are all that way.

Find a case that's very pro-conservative and you'll hear Thomas and Scalia doing the same thing.

They are acting that way precisely because of their ideology.

Could Kagen be different? Possible, I suppose. But I don't get how someone listening to her questioning and has also heard the same thing from the other justices can come to that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    yeah thank god the conservatives weren't ideological.

Blog Entries

I've done both. They are all that way.

Find a case that's very pro-conservative and you'll hear Thomas and Scalia doing the same thing.

They are acting that way precisely because of their ideology.

Could Kagen be different? Possible, I suppose. But I don't get how someone listening to her questioning and has also heard the same thing from the other justices can come to that conclusion.
    I'd have to go pretty far back to hear Thomas ask a question ;)

You do have a point, however when it comes to this case, I think all justices have been pretty fair about asking questions of both sides. Scalia would be the rights version of Kagan but he has been more fair than her, by far.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    yeah thank god the conservatives weren't ideological.

Thanks for chiming in. Why don't you go back and address the post about you parroting the Whitehouse talking point and the progressive thought process while you're here.
    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 03-30-2012 at 01:49 PM.