Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dead Draft

Re: Dead Draft

I think this is a very solid draft. Good WR's, OL and DB's, qb's and underrated RB's.

Yeah, come 3am and seeing we've traded our pick I'll be pissed- even if the next day I'll realise it was probably the best thing to do!

Glad booked the Friday off work though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 404Blackbird View Post
    I'll just be glad when (if they ever) move the draft back to all day Sat and Sun instead of the Thurs, Sat, Sun schedule. We're a victim of our own success having had to consistently pick late over the last few years, but staying up until 10-10:30 on a worknight to watch the 29th pick (or watch it get traded to another round) just isn't the business. Having a draft party and digesting all of the draft news and projections on a Saturday am was a major highlight of the offseason. The new schedule has taken the wind out of my (and others) sails in draft anticipation...
    I'm with you on that one, and not even just the "time" and staying up but a Thursday? Cmon thats the second worst day of the week after monday.

Blog Entries

The ratings have been very strong which is why they're not moving it back to the weekend. The draft shows have become part of that additional revenue stream the NFL continues to chase.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Only Ozzie would be brilliant enough to get someone dumb enough to sign off on that. But yes I hope he jumps on that deal like white on rice.
    Teams make those kind of trades all the time. Didn't the Saints just do it last year so they could draft Mark Ingram?

Blog Entries

Talent is weak this year and just not deep, then all the Manning and Tebow drama the media is obsessed with, we wont get much decent coverage til maybe a week or 2 before the draft.

A fan should love NFLN this time a year, but I hate it.
    Waaaay too much focus on the first 10 picks.

Don't they understand that come April, over 2/3 of fans don't find 1 through 10 exciting? We already know all about it.

We want to see/hear "experts" discuss 16-32, the 2nd round, the 3rd round, and maybe even our team's or our entire division's possible 1st round through 5th round selections...and not just a 5-deep list of "sleepers".

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

That would be a fun game. Go through the last 8 years or so of first players chose and see if you can find a comparable player in terms of position and where he's projected to go, and compare and contrast to the Raven taken in that spot.
    Okay, forced to play my own game....

Jimmy Smith 27th ... Leonard Johnson Iowa State (character questions early in career; good in press coverage)

Sergio Kindle 43 ... Bobby Wagner Utah State (odd behavior at Senior Bowl caused him to miss reps, hospitalized with pneumonia at end of season, but incredible athlete who can play run and pass)

Michael Oher 23 ... Mike Adams Ohio State (projected as a top 15 pick but I think he could fall; may not be as good as his reputation; more athletic than tough)

Joe Flacco 18 ... Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M (Good size and arm, better runner than given credit for. Could be the third QB taken, later in the first. Went through a major transition in college: started as a wide receiver then switched to QB)

Ben Grubbs 29 ... Cordy Glenn Georgia (Big but very agile. Good SEC pedigree. A safe pick if there later in the first)

Haloti Ngata 12 ... Dontari Poe Memphis (6'4" 350, but moves like a LB. Some think he takes plays off. But the raw talent to dominate once he improves on technique)

Mark Clayton 22 ... Kendall Wright, Baylor (Like Clayton, set Big 12 receiving records playing with the Heisman-winning QB; on the smallish side; makes acrobatic catches and good run after catch; just an average 40 time, but looks more athletic)

Dwan Edwards 51 ... Billy Winn Boise State (Tweener DE/DT, nearly 300 lbs, could drop a little weight, add speed, and play as an edge rusher; quick off the snap; coming off an ankle injury that hampered him at combine and could cause him to drop).

Terrell Suggs 10 ... Melvin Ingram South Carolina (Big for a sack artist, some scouts want him to come down from 275 and stand up as an OLB)

NFL Draft is the greatest offseason event of any sport. Nothing boring nor dead about it.

This portion of March until April and mid June to July 28th-ish are usually the dead periods in the NFL calendar year.