Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Truth Shall Set You Free

Forget all of the discussion over the past few weeks about the quality of our opponents and whether we look better than we are because of our schedule.

We'll find out the truth on how good we are soon enough.

The Chargers have looked great, have a very solid offensive and defense. We are 2 point underdogs AT HOME.

The next 5 games against San Diego, Denver, Carolina, New Orleans, and Cincinnati will all be extremely challenging.

A 3-2 record or better would be phenomenal. 2-3 or worse will bring up major questions

Beating San Diego this week would be a great way to start . . .

Re: The Truth Shall Set You Free

Injuries (or the lack thereof) will play a HUGE role in determining our destiny over the next five games...Buckle up-- it's gonna be a wild ride...

Good post.

Leading up to our bye week we have San Diego, Denver and Carolina. If we can win 2 of those 3 games - I'd be thrilled going into the bye at 5-1.

The good thing is 3 of those games are at home,so winning three out of the 5 is very possible.6-2 at the halfway point would be at the top end of everyones expectations for this team,and our best football hasnt been played yet.

Also, I believe SD, Denver and Carolina will all be coming off byes to play the Ravens. We're in for a great football challenge!
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    Also, I believe SD, Denver and Carolina will all be coming off byes to play the Ravens. We're in for a great football challenge!
    No, just San Diego and Denver have bye weeks to prepare for the Ravens over the next couple of weeks. I'm not sure of the stats about bye weeks over the years but I would guess it is probably about even as far as who usually wins. Most times it is the better team, no matter if they had a bye week to prepare or not. That's just my uneducated guess though...:)

It depends on the coach and or how desperate or banged up a team is when determining if coming off a bye helps or hurts us. For instance, the Steelers got the bye at a good week and I wouldn't want to be their next opponent (ironically San Diego). I also never want to play Belicheck after a bye, it gives him too much time to gameplan.

For a team that is fat and happy with a mediocre X&O's coach like the Chargers, I think a bye helps us. They got to relax, read their press clippings, and watch our performance in Cleveland which is annually one of our worst.

I know that the Charger's are 8-8 coming off the bye,so it looks like it hasnt really benefitted them too much.While you do have an extra week to rest,you also havent played real live football in two weeks so it goes both ways.

I absolutely agree that this is a career maker/breaker week for us.

I know it sounds extreme but it's all about the mind in the NFL. This game can make or break some careers. THe jury is completely out on this team. Are we 3-0 because we beat 3 "winless" teams or are they winless because we beat them?

Tampa Bay was a very good team and we beat them soundly. They have simply not recovered. I would have expected them to still come back but without Simms they're in for a long season. (preseason picks for a playoff run)

Oaktown was a team sliding quickly towards a mental breakdown. We took advantage of their weaknesses and beat them soundly as well. Although some picked them to be OK this year, they were just bad.

The Stains were a team not far from respectability. They have some good players with pride and they played a like a team that had decided not to take losing lying down. Yes, if we had punched them in the mouth early, they would have folded. But we didn't and they had enough horses to take us to the wall. They kind of remind me of another sad sack AFCN team from a couple of years back. BTW, Charlie Frye is the real deal.

So here's the test a very beatable team that plays right into our strengths. The Ravens have been built to stop the run and give young QBs fits. Question is, can they finally beat a quality team when it matters and make good use of home field advantage. If they can, this team could steamroller through the season. If they don't we may be witnessing the end of Billick's coaching tenure with the Ravens, the end of Fassel's shot at HC, the end of any glow on McNair's career and the possible retirement of "hope" in this franchise for the near future.

Make no mistake, this is a big game for the team and individuals. It should be hard fought till the end. Somehow, I think Ray, JO, Rolle, Mason and McNair know that.
    :)

I agree with you Dabruise that the Chargers are very beatable (there offense anyway). Our D will be focusing on stopping the run this week. This is the Chargers main strenth and without there run game they will fold like the Falcons did vs the Saints. With that being said the Ravens will stop the run.

This is Rivers 3rd start in the NFL and I highly doubt it will be pretty. He is just not experienced enough to be able pick apart our defense. Our D will beat the confidence out of him and without LT to save him he will crumble.

Our offense is another story. I dont see Mcnair and company scoring many points. I think it will be another ugly game for our offense but one we will win anyways. Mcnairs poise, experience, and the ability to come through in the clutch is how we will win this game.

The big problem I forsee is how in the hell we are going to protect Mcnair. I dont see that happening. There DLine will probably manhandle our OLine and we may be seeing Mcnairs head bouncing off the turf more than I would like. I really hope Mcnair makes it out of this game in 1 piece.

This game could also have big implications later in the season, since both teams could be in the hunt for an AFC wild card spot. Could come down to head-to-head matchup for a tiebreaker.

Hopefully our fans will be the deciding factor...I work with several Chargers fans who are not convinced that Rivers can handle the non-stop onslaught from the notoriously LOUD Ravens home crowd... Apparently he can become rather distracted when the 12th Man makes his presence known...