Who do the Ravens draft in rounds 2-7

I'm no Mel Kiper when it comes to the draft. I have a good idea of the first round talent this year from looking at mock drafts, this board, etc. My question is who are some guys we should look at in the mid to later rounds?

Blog Entries

Re: Who do the Ravens draft in rounds 2-7

I am making the final prediction that Peter Konz is going to be our first round pick. It makes too much sense, we have a glaring need at left guard, and we also need someone to take over from Birk at center when Birk retires, so Konz who can play both guard and center makes perfect sense, he can start his first season at left guard learning the calls etc, then in his second year move over to his natural center position. This also fills our biggest hole in the team.

As for the second round, because this WR class is so deep I think we will go WR in the second. My prediction is Brian Quick. He is a small school prospect that teams know about, but wont be thinking about him when they pick in the high second round because of the school he went to, and the fact that he is still raw. This would allow us to pick him up in the late second, and he could probably fit right into the #3 or 4 on our roster, he is a big tall athletic play maker, he has good hands, and is quicker than you'd think he can get vertical separation too, which is key to succeeding into Cams offense. But the main reason we go for him is because he is an end zone threat, at 6 foot 4 and 220 lbs he has great size and could fill another void for us.

Third round I think you may see on the defensive side of the ball. We don't really need any high round prospects, we may want elite pass rushers in the draft, and we may want a stud MLB that can line up next to Ray Lewis and take over from him whenever he retires, but our needs on the offensive side of the ball at left guard and a solid number 3 receiver out weigh the needs on our defense now that we basically we signed the whole ILB unit from 2011. So for the third your hoping for a Webb type pick, someone who's going to develop into what Webb is now. We have two glaring needs on defense, and that is another pass rusher, and another safety for depth. My three hopes for the third round are Shea McClellin (who I think may even go in the late second) James Michael-Johnson (Who I think may be around in the 4th, for our possible compensatory pick) he could probably offer more upside at MLB than McClain or Elerbee, and DeQuan Menzie the corner from Alabama opposite of Kirtpatrick, but looks to be a better safety prospect in the NFL. He could offer depth at safety, he could probably be Reeds back up. Actually I would love us to pick up defensive line depth in Josh Chapman the DT from Alabama who was their most underrated defensive player in 2011.

As for the later picks, I never make predictions past round 3 because you just don't know who is going to be available. I will say this though, if Vontaze Burfict is there in round 5 or 6, I would pull the trigger on him and take a chance. He was going into the draft as a first round projected player and has slid right down and could end up being a great pick.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I am making the final prediction that Peter Konz is going to be our first round pick. It makes too much sense, we have a glaring need at left guard, and we also need someone to take over from Birk at center when Birk retires, so Konz who can play both guard and center makes perfect sense, he can start his first season at left guard learning the calls etc, then in his second year move over to his natural center position. This also fills our biggest hole in the team.

As for the second round, because this WR class is so deep I think we will go WR in the second. My prediction is Brian Quick. He is a small school prospect that teams know about, but wont be thinking about him when they pick in the high second round because of the school he went to, and the fact that he is still raw. This would allow us to pick him up in the late second, and he could probably fit right into the #3 or 4 on our roster, he is a big tall athletic play maker, he has good hands, and is quicker than you'd think he can get vertical separation too, which is key to succeeding into Cams offense. But the main reason we go for him is because he is an end zone threat, at 6 foot 4 and 220 lbs he has great size and could fill another void for us.

Third round I think you may see on the defensive side of the ball. We don't really need any high round prospects, we may want elite pass rushers in the draft, and we may want a stud MLB that can line up next to Ray Lewis and take over from him whenever he retires, but our needs on the offensive side of the ball at left guard and a solid number 3 receiver out weigh the needs on our defense now that we basically we signed the whole ILB unit from 2011. So for the third your hoping for a Webb type pick, someone who's going to develop into what Webb is now. We have two glaring needs on defense, and that is another pass rusher, and another safety for depth. My three hopes for the third round are Shea McClellin (who I think may even go in the late second) James Michael-Johnson (Who I think may be around in the 4th, for our possible compensatory pick) he could probably offer more upside at MLB than McClain or Elerbee, and DeQuan Menzie the corner from Alabama opposite of Kirtpatrick, but looks to be a better safety prospect in the NFL. He could offer depth at safety, he could probably be Reeds back up. Actually I would love us to pick up defensive line depth in Josh Chapman the DT from Alabama who was their most underrated defensive player in 2011.

As for the later picks, I never make predictions past round 3 because you just don't know who is going to be available. I will say this though, if Vontaze Burfict is there in round 5 or 6, I would pull the trigger on him and take a chance. He was going into the draft as a first round projected player and has slid right down and could end up being a great pick.
    why would they draft a center in the first round, only for him to ride the bench for about 2-3 years? They just resigned birk, there are good centers in every draft. I personally think it would be a waste to have your 1st round draft pick ride the bench for possibly 3 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    why would they draft a center in the first round, only for him to ride the bench for about 2-3 years? They just resigned birk, there are good centers in every draft. I personally think it would be a waste to have your 1st round draft pick ride the bench for possibly 3 years.
    Man you need to READ what people write. I said he would play left guard for a season while Birk has his final year as a starter. I can't see Birk being an NFL starting center past this season, and so Konz makes a lot of sense.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few of these guys getting a call from Ozzie on day two & three:

WR: Juron Criner (Arizona), Chris Givens (Wake), Mohammed Sanu (Rutgers), Marvin Jones (Cal), Tommy Streeter (Miami)
    KR/PR: TY Hilton, TJ Graham (NCSt)
    LB: Mychal Kendricks (Cal), James-Michael Johnson (Nevada), Ronnel Lewis (Oklahoma), Johnathan Massaquoi (Troy)
    DE: Chandler Jones (Syracuse), Jacquies Smith (Missouri), Billy Winn (Boise St)
    OL: Nate Potter (Boise St), Andrew Datko (Florida St), Tony Bergstrom (Utah), Keleche Osemele (Iowa State), Senio Lelemete (Washington)
    DB: Trumaine Johnson (Montana), Josh Norman (Costal Carolina), Micah Pellerin (Hampton), Antonio Allen (South Carolina), Markelle Martin (Oklahoma State), Sean Cattouse (Cal)

Obviously, some of them would be later round picks than others. I'm just thinking past round one.

neither can the team, its a very back heavy contract

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    Certainly a wasted pick if the Ravens FO shares your logic, but the fact of the matter is, Konz is versatile enough to play LG, which is what he would do in his rookie season unless Birk gets injured.