Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cap jail

Re: Cap jail

So I am one who believes the Ravens should sign their 1st round picks (especially pro bowl players) when the rookie contract is up else you are nothing more than a farm team for someone else. I was very disappointed that the Ravens could not resign Grubbs. There is the Cap hit from cutting McGehee late last year too (that is a big blunder in my opinion).
    However looking at the cap as shown in this thread I am struck with the thought that a one year tightening of the belt so that the next year or more are better is ok by me.
    I really would have preferred to keep Grubbs but wonder who or what would have been the result? Losing Webb to a team trolling in after the Ravens have no cap space left? Losing Rice next year because no money is available then? Maybe a cut of big contributor elsewhere?

It's hard to swallow for sure, and maybe the Ravens will move out of the 1st round with money in mind, but it is what it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Puppy View Post
    So I am one who believes the Ravens should sign their 1st round picks (especially pro bowl players) when the rookie contract is up else you are nothing more than a farm team for someone else. I was very disappointed that the Ravens could not resign Grubbs. There is the Cap hit from cutting McGehee late last year too (that is a big blunder in my opinion).
    However looking at the cap as shown in this thread I am struck with the thought that a one year tightening of the belt so that the next year or more are better is ok by me.
    I really would have preferred to keep Grubbs but wonder who or what would have been the result? Losing Webb to a team trolling in after the Ravens have no cap space left? Losing Rice next year because no money is available then? Maybe a cut of big contributor elsewhere?

It's hard to swallow for sure, and maybe the Ravens will move out of the 1st round with money in mind, but it is what it is.
    Well, there is also a lot of reason to think/believe that Grubbs just didn't want to play in Baltimore anymore. Being that he's from the south, he could have very well not signed any contract Baltimore offered him because he wanted to play for a team in the south.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Of course we are all disappointed that we lost Grubbs. The team was outbid...not much more they could do. And ALL of the good teams lose really good players to the bad ones. I'd hardly call us or any other team a farm team for the bad teams. This isn't baseball where the good teams just pick up all the players...the cap restricts that in the NFL. If you notice...it's always the bad teams that spend all the money and they usually continue to be bad annually despite being so active in UFA.

As for McGahee...did you not see the penalties that the Cowboys, Redskins, Saints and Raiders got for dumping salary in 2010?

I think the team still has the restructuring card for a few players, but since it would free so little money this year, they will only do it if they can get the right player that makes it worth it for the team.

Also, trading out of the first would have absolutely nothing to do with money. We have more than enough to sign our picks.

Blog Entries

You're not going to have Ray's or Ed Reed's contract to worry about next year which is going to open up some real space.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I understood from Aaron Wilson's post that we only had 42 under contract and that the cap number didn't include RFAs, etc.

Even if we could restructure some guys, would we want to? Isn't it pay kennow or pay me later unless they accept a cut somewhere? If that's the case, wouldn't we be just kicking the can down the road?

Thanks to all for the clarifications and for correcting my misunderstanding.
    Unless I'm mistaken, can't we just restructure some contracts, & convert salary into "bonus" money that doesn't count against the cap? Win/win - player gets paid a large amount in one lump, and the team reduces their cap number.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ]<ing View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, can't we just restructure some contracts, & convert salary into "bonus" money that doesn't count against the cap? Win/win - player gets paid a large amount in one lump, and the team reduces their cap number.
    We can for a couple player who we know aren't going anywhere, Suggs, Ngata and Yanda. What you don't want to do is restructure anyone who might not be on the team 2 years from now. Obviously anyone without at long term deal is also not able to be restructured. That's why the Ravens don't have a huge amount of guys they could restructure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Anyone think that someone significant could be cut?
    Significant? Can I cut my sister-in-law so that the Bc family can have more cap room?
    This way we can have steak instead of hot dogs and beans, go on a real vacation instead of watching the National Geographic channel, and I can put more than $5 in the gas tank. maybe Ravor can give me some tips... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ]<ing View Post
    Steve Bisciotti has been adamant in that restructuring a significant number of contracts is not a road he wants to venture down again. So, while they could do it, I would not expect it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You're not going to have Ray's or Ed Reed's contract to worry about next year which is going to open up some real space.
    I also recall Ravor discussing how there would be no dead money next year either.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I also recall Ravor discussing how there would be no dead money next year either.
    I would think Birk is not here next year. So that should be some, although it shouldn't be to awful.

1 Winning Drive is not closed for business at the moment, nor should it be. Good teams who want to get better don't let the cap get in their way, because there are plenty of ways to manage even the hairiest of cap situations. The Ravens are a good team and being close to the cap is something they're used to.

The Ravens have pursued a few guys publicly, and probably a few that they were able to keep private. They just didn't happen to land any of them despite making good offers. Even if they only have 5 million and they don't really WANT to restructure contracts, they will do what they need to do to get a player they really like.

At the moment I am looking at it more as the Ravens being very, very choosy in how they spend their money, as opposed to just being UNABLE to spend their money. They haven't found any players that they really feel are worth getting given their resources. I think the FO is less worried about personnel than we are, and they're correctly playing the long game at this point. I wouldn't expect any signings at all for at least another few weeks.

Blog Entries

Except for Birk